Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » sony srx r510p green screen problem

Author Topic: sony srx r510p green screen problem
Vedat Cetinkaya
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2015 11:54 AM      Profile for Vedat Cetinkaya   Email Vedat Cetinkaya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
I have been following the forum since last June.This is my first post here. Before presenting my problem I would like to thank all for the information and expertise they have shared, they helped me a lot in understanding movie theater business both technical and management-wise.
We have opened up our theater on January. 11 months in and we are having problems with our picture quality on our 3 auditoriums where we have sony srx r510p. The middle and right side of the screen looks normal, but on the left side it looks greenish. Our local representative tells us it stems from the dust accumulated in our machine and requires cleaning which will cost us 300 dollar. We tried to remove dust from those machines but problem still persists. Does anyone have any idea what is the real reason might be?
Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-25-2015 02:13 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is dust, it's inside the imaging system and probably NOT something you should try to clean yourself. $300 would be worth it. A replacement - if damaged by cleaning - will probably be in the thousands.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If picture is "green" i think that has to do something either with electronic or LCOS SXRD engine, doubt is dust.....and if you see just dust particles on screen dust could enter light engine. Either way, since it is less than year i would ask that they fix it by warranty!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-25-2015 05:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a known problem when these machines are operated in a not-so-clean environment. Cleaning is simple, if you are prepared to open the side panel and have the necessary password to perform a marriage.

I wrote about this recently here:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=002460;p=2#000018

Difficult question wether this is covered by warranty.

However, 300 US$ is not too much for a good cleaning by a professional tech.

I would suggest you pay for it and watch the procedure thoroughly so you can do it yourself next time.

The part that needs to be cleaned can be taken out of the machine, it is fastened by a single screw and meant to be taken out from time to time. No adjustment is necessary after reinserting it. All depends on wether you have people there with some tech skills.

A full cleaning should still be carried out every couple of years by a qualified tech. You should also try to minimize dust built-up by keeping the booths clean and filtering air inlets.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-26-2015 04:27 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tech looking at your machine every 12 month is something you should consider in order to give your audience a decent presentation. This is valid for any setup.
Also you should make all the efforts to keep your very expensive machine in a very clean environment. Again, this is valid for any setup.

Hakan Bicer
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2015 08:35 AM      Profile for Hakan Bicer   Email Hakan Bicer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MR. Cetinkaya ;

we have made the installation of the Sony SRX510 a lot in all over the Turkey as DcinexTR.

if you need techinical support about this issue , you can send the mail to us from the teknik.dcinextr@dcinex.com

best regards

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2015 05:11 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
The part that needs to be cleaned can be taken out of the machine, it is fastened by a single screw and meant to be taken out from time to time. No adjustment is necessary after reinserting it. All depends on wether you have people there with some tech skills.
From my experience, cleaning just the lens 2 R/G/B (the ones that you can un-screw off the XDM unit with just one screw eatch) will not do the full job.

More frequently than not, relatively dirty air will affect the polarizing plates as well as other parts of the optical system.

You'll probably have to clean the "4P exit surface" behind the shutter and the three mirrors also, that need extreme care. The UV filter might not be an issue.
But that, suggests that you 'll have to take the optical system out of the projector.

The means of cleaning is another issue, as is the (small nowadays) chance to have green and blue polarizing filters (on 515s not 510s) that can be scratched just by touching.

The whole procedure is not extremely difficult, I am not saying that, but involves more than some caution, preparing and time to complete the task.

My suggestion is to let someone with his/her back covered to do the "dirty" job. Meaning a qualified service technician.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-05-2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. This is well documented in the Sony cleaning schedule, nothing terrible to do.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-05-2015 10:22 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A full cleaning is indeed beyond the scope of a normal 'advanced' user. But the typical cyan/green left side shading is usually caused by dust build-up on the lens 2R and it's mirror, because the laminar airflow does not reach all areas to the same extent, which is clearly a design flaw.

That dust can usually be blown away or carefully been wiped off without extracing the light engine or XDM. Only the projector side panel and the fan panel needs to be removed for that, and the surfaces to clean are then visible. The lens 2R can be taken out easily as well for a better cleaning. However, a re-marriage needs to be performed after closing the machine again, so, without the proper password, do NOT operate that side-panel-lock.

Once the issue is understood, it is better anyway to find a way to keep the booth as dust free as possible. It is also possible to use improved air filters on the side panels.

- Carsten

Ariel Vocal
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2015 05:29 PM      Profile for Ariel Vocal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that this is a very common problem , I had it and remove all lenses and prisms block to clean one by one. if done with care and in an appropriate environment gives complete results , even so dust accumulates in the prisms frequently , clean the filters and fans every two weeks.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-07-2015 06:27 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I would not describe it as a 'problem'.
Indeed Sony could install better filters and the projector would last longer without being cleaned but when you purchase a Sony machine you have to take into account someone to clean the optics every now and then.

A dust-free projection room is recommended with any equipment, digital or film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: