Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Bringing Projector & Server out of storage (2 years w/o power) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bringing Projector & Server out of storage (2 years w/o power)
Michael Wilkinson
The Entertainment King of Colusa and Beyond

- posted 11-22-2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys so if the topic has been covered already please point me the right direction.

I recently came across a Christie CP2220 and Doremi SV4 server that I'd like to mess around with and get working. The original installation was between two and three years ago and, basically, never used. Both the projector and server were stored without power ever since.

I've powered up the server and there are "(missing)" messages next to serial, firmware, etc. I haven't got as far with the projector as I'm first in need of lamp door keys (and to re-install the lamp). Will both the server and projector require replacement boards to get them back online? Any other surprises in store? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-22-2015 05:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie outer door keys are the same for every Christie that I have encountered. All that you should need to do is find another Christie and get a locksmith to make duplicate keys. The "secure" keys are unique to each machine, as far as I know.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-22-2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea to store such items without proper maintenance. There are batteries which, when depleted, render expensive boards useless, both in the server and projector.

Start with the server, boot it up, if successful, log in, go to diagnostics and create a detailed report to a USB stick.
Dolby/Doremi have an online log analyzer tool that will tell you major issues that the server might have. Feed the compressed log file to it and you will quickly receive results.

http://support.doremitechno.org/index.php/faq/digital-cinema-player/69-how-to-generate-a-detailed-report-log-file

http://www.doremilabs.com/downloads/manuals/DiagnosticTool_UserManual_000169_v1_7.pdf

http://loganalyzer.dolbycustomer.com/

Do you have Doremis installation and user manuals?

- Carsten

Michael Wilkinson

- posted 11-23-2015 12:42 AM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carston,

Thanks for the info; I fully expected some issues and to answer the question about who what and why I believe that a government agency had control of the equipment for the majority of the time hence the reason for improper storage.

I've downloaded the user/install manuals for the SV4 and started looking through them.

Nevertheless I'm going to login to the server tonight (fortunately the  - was still good) and see what it can tell me. I'll post the details here.

Scott,

I actually found a 35mm Christie door key laying around and that didn't work; guess it at least has to be digital. [Smile]

Michael Wilkinson

- posted 11-23-2015 02:23 PM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the diagnostic. The system says "No Dolphin Board" during boot up

Software 2.2.3-0 is not the current release
Please install the current supported release 2.6.4:
Make sure to read the Release Notes
Download the Installation Package
Ingest the Package and reboot (There is no need of a DLM for this upgrade)
Note: The upgrade process is always done in the order of SW (Software), SM (Security Manager), FW (Firmware), hotfixes and then any option pkgs. The unit must be rebooted between each individual package installation.

Ethernet speed is 100 Mbps only
Network eth0 Speed has a speed of 100 Mbps only
HDD Failure (frozen)
in drmreport/doremi/log/kern.log :
Line 116:Nov 23 12:15:22 Doremi-1 kernel: ata5: exception Emask 0x50 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x40d0800 action 0x2 frozen
NOTE: This notifcation is that there is an issue with the hardware you are connecting to the server for ingest or export. For DCP2000, DCP2K4 and Showvault that it is ATA5 (CRU) or ATA6 (DVD) are ingest drives, and not part of the content raid.
Please remove the media and have it tested by the distributor of the drive. For the IMS1000 the ata2 an external drive plugged in via USB or eSATA. (ata3 is the internal raid card)
NTP no server suitable for synchronization found
in drmreport/doremi/log/time.log :
Line 257:[Mon Nov 23 11:59:02 2015][ERROR]: ntpdate: no server suitable for synchronization found
Edit the configuration file /doremi/etc/ntpservers and specify a valid NTP server under the variable: NTPSERVERS="" Found a NTP server close to your location at www.pool.ntp.org, or if you have an TLMS, set the target at the IP address of the TLMS server. To make sure the server is available from the Doremi server ping it from a terminal window.
It is highly recommended to use NTP, if the server drifts and RTC goes outside the allowed amount it is not covered under warranty

RX errors on Ethernet port
This message is showing that the system has detected network errors on one of the server Ethernet ports.
This type of error is normally outside the server. Please check all physical network connections. If the network runs through any switches or routers, try a direct connection between the server and projector.
If these errors are on the auditorium network, server to projector and this is the network that the SM (Security Manager) uses, this can cause show stopping issues.

RealD DLM has been issued for 228373 and not missing
The license being for the wrong eSN is normally because the unit may have had a Dolphin upgrade,
so the eSN has changed and the license was not upgraded at the same time.
Please go to the License Manager and delete the license that does not match the new Dolphin card.
Please request a new license (DLM) on the ticketing system.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-23-2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess first thing would be to have the Dolphin board reserialized. I think that costs around 375US$ or something:
---
DOL12 (Dolphin DCI FIPS 1.2) re-serialization policy update

Created on Wednesday, 26 November 2014 18:21
The new policy will be the same for units in warranty or out of warranty:

Repair and return i.e.
No advance replacement of the mediablocks
The Dolphin mediablock must be shipped to us, will be re-serialized, and shipped back to you
The cost of the repair will be lower: 375.00 USD plus the cost of the shipment
Please note that we are still unable to re-serialize a mediablock (Dolphin DCI FIPS 1.2) if any of the following conditions are met. In those cases, the only option will be to purchase a new mediablock

The SM (Security Manager) is missing
The mediablock is in rescue mode, and cannot be recovered
The date is greater than the current year
---

If you send the full detailed report to Doremi, they will probably also tell you other things. That SATA issue is a bit strange, as it refers to ingest drives, the CRU slot (is there a drive/carrier inserted into the CRU slot?), not the boot (flash) disc or the RAID. Did you also run the RAID diagnostic?

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-23-2015 05:50 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this is a ShowVault there's no Dolphin card. Once the projector is powered up and the network connected it will find the IMB in the projector and you will have a security manager version etc. The software refers to the IMB as a Dolphin card during boot and in some of the "missing" messages.
You don't do anything to install the IMB, once the projector is powered and all connected - and the network settings plus device manager set up for the server to talk to the projector - the server finds the IMB and presto! there's an IMB in device manager. You usually need to reboot everything at least once after getting them to talk before they actually work properly.
The IMB battery should last 4+ years so I don't think that will be a problem. I would ask Doremi about it though, if it's been off for a couple of years you may want to replace that battery soon after getting the system running. If it has gone dead, the IMB has to be sent back to Doremi and reserialized.
You will also need the PCIe-4 cable between the server and IMB.
If the server is in the Christie pedestal, that may be in place?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-23-2015 06:38 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, sorry, missed the SV4 part. The IMB battery should be good for 5 years, so it could be still okay, or reaching EOL. I would certainly replace it now, there is a detailed procedure here:

http://support.doremitechno.org/images/Portal/Cinema_Players/ShowVault-IMB/Documents/IMB_Battery_Replacement_P rocedure_001556_v1_0.pdf

In that case, there will be no serious issue with the projector enigma board battery, since it is not used when an IMB is present. I would still check it. But if it's there, it will probably be dead anyway by now.

You should also get current software for both projector and server. For the Doremi, installation is trivial, for the Christie, it could be a bit more complicated to get the necessary files and apply them in the right order. An experienced tech may be needed. But you should still be able to run the system as is for the time being.

- Carsten

Michael Wilkinson

- posted 11-23-2015 08:16 PM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, Carlston:

Great info and thanks for the IMB battery tip. Assuming that it isn't already too late I'll change the cmos battery as soon as the projector is up and running.

I am getting a "secured clock battery has not been replaced on time" message from the SV4 so I don't know if that's internal or referring to the IMB. All of the cabling is connected between the SV4 and projector however I don't think it's possible to get the projector out of standby until I get access to the lamp door and install the lamp.

The software update took all of two minutes. "Trivial" was right. The bottom HDD of the 4 has no lights on it so maybe that's the dead drive; or just a spare. Truthfully I haven't read that part of the manual yet to know. The SV4 seems happy and healthy otherwise so I'm really not sure where that message comes from.

The only movie on this thing is Hunger Games from March of 2012. Trailers are from around the same time frame.

Thanks Scott for sending some keys my way!
[Smile]

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2015 08:52 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike, if that machine came from Davis, there was a complete set of keys in the box with the lens and other small parts.

Michael Wilkinson

- posted 11-23-2015 09:00 PM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John,

I have every key for the projector and server except the lamp door key! Believe me I dug around for them.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-23-2015 09:44 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Christie external doors use the same key, since always - probably Christie 35mm consoles used the same key. The lamp cover takes the same key as the other locks. The inner top "secure area" lid uses a Medeco security key, this is unique to each projector (or unique enough that you are very unlikely to find two the same). Christie factory techs have a master key for those, but they don't let that key out of their sight.

Michael Wilkinson

- posted 11-23-2015 10:17 PM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have ALL of the keys, including the Medeco's, EXCEPT the lamp door key. I found a Christie 35mm lamphouse key (a leftover from about 7 or 8 consoles I sledgehammered) and, sadly, they finally changed the locks!

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-24-2015 05:57 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send a pic of this lock.
2220 projectors come with only two different keys - the silver cheapo one for all locks except the secure cover, and the Medeco key for that.
There is only one type of "low security" lock on the projector, PN 003-003081-01. They are all keyed alike.
If the lock has been changed for some reason, drill it out and replace it with the correct one.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-24-2015 06:21 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 'battery has not been replaced' is a software warning, it doesn't actually measure the battery voltage, it is a scheduled exchange interval. But it is obvious you should source suitable cells and swap them soon. Then you can reset the battery warning message.

quote: Michael Wilkinson
The bottom HDD of the 4 has no lights on it so maybe that's the dead drive; or just a spare.

The 4th slot has no drive, so it is normal there is no light on it. You can extend the RAID capacity by upgrading it with a drive same size/type as the other three.

The warning seems to refer to the CRU slot on the left side. Is there something inserted into it?

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: