Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Help: Doremi DCP2000 wont boot (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help: Doremi DCP2000 wont boot
Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2015 07:29 AM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

I just got a call from work that the doremi wont boot. I've seen this happen before, it just gets to the Intel logo and then gets stuck. This has always resolved itself after a reboot, but now they apparently have tried it five times with the same result.
Any tips on how to get past it?

We were supposed to get new projectors and servers this week, but Barco, or the company we ordered from, messed up the delivery. Typical...

Thanks

Andreas

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2015 01:05 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if it is getting beyond the bios self test? They usually beep when they do.If it is then the boot drive my be bad. It is a flash drive internal. If not then motherboard problems or bad ram. It still could be boot drive issue. The bios may be waiting for the drive to come up. Let it sit on the Intel logo and see if it comes up with an error. You can always call Dolby tech support.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-21-2015 08:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove any ingest drives or USB sticks and try again, these can freeze the boot process. This is a pretty old server if it has the Intel board. There is a USB emergency boot process you can use but the USB boot drive has to be prepared beforehand so that is probably not an option.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-22-2015 09:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sticking in the INTEL screen means the server isn't completing the motherboard boot process, that would be a motherboard issue. On newer servers this is the "Doremi Cinema" splash screen... probably changing to "Dolby" soon.
I'm unsure whether the Intel board has a built-in beeper, and it definitely does not have a case speaker connected if Intel uses that for beeps.
I think that even with a dead motherboard battery it boots past the logo screen, but will open the BIOS setup screen rather than proceeding to OS load.
Reseating the memory sticks might help. If not, those new servers you mention will probably be the fix. Getting an old server repaired would take a while, the new ones should be there soon if it's just a shipping delay. In some countries "shipping delay" can mean the customs guys are awaiting a fat bribe to release the stuff but I believe Sweden is more honestly run.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had something like this happen back in July.
In my case it was a failing motherboard battery that was
just on the threshold of failing.it wasn't bad enuf to trip
the 'replace battery' alarm, but was low enough to cause bios
and boot-up issues, such as not being able to boot past INTEL
screen. Even after I changed the battery, it still wouldn't
boot past the INTEL screen.

Apparanly it had lost all the "boot order' bios configuration
settings and I had to re-input then to BIOS.

You can get the proper settings for your unit from Dore might
tech support if you need them.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-22-2015 11:32 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the Intel logo is still on screen, it's a hardware problem. Reseat the RAM and all the boards.

If it goes PAST the intel logo and nothing happens, maybe the SSD is faulty, you can try booting from an emergency USB drive. I cannot remember how you do that on older Intel boards though...

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had this to - freeze on the intel screen and proceed no further, when the bios battery was low and failing; enter bios and set 1st boot device to PQI drive, save settings and reboot.
However I have also had it where it is due to failing capacitors (generally those at the top right of the motherboard bulging) which is really a replacement MB or be a dab hand at fine solder work.

Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2015 03:33 AM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fot all the tips. When I got to work the guy working had rebooted 8 times and then it worked. So now the server stays on until it's turned off indefinitely.

I would dig deeper into the issue if we were not getting new servers. Will be nice to get a fresh start, but I'm sure they will have their issues aswell.

As to the delay I won't speculate...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-24-2015 06:01 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you will have to reboot the server at some point.
Have it fixed before that time!

Hsin-ning Chang
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 11:23 AM      Profile for Hsin-ning Chang   Email Hsin-ning Chang   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just experienced a similar problem yesterday-- We have a Doremi DCP 2000 as well, yet it is the version with "Doremi" on the opening screen.

Yesterday, the touch screen froze, so we tried to reboot the server. There was a splash of blue on the screen, then it did not show anything. After waited for another five minutes, I rebooted it again. This time, other then the splash of blue on the screen, the HDD red light was lit, then the screen went dark. Form this point on, the power button stopped to work. I can't shut the server down by pressing it. So, I disconnected and reconnect the power and the power button did not wake the machine up anymore.

Talking to doremi's technician, he suggested us to pull out all the hard drives and then reboot the server. Yet, again, no reaction from the machine. So, he finally advice us to email Doremi Support and request for a replacement.

Since the replacement procedure cannot be proceeded til Monday. We are wondering if there is anything we could try? We are thinking to replace the battery on Motherboard as Jim posted earlier, or reseting the memory sticks as Dave said... Really appreciate if anyone can give us any suggestion or advice?

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 11:54 AM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any "beeps" from the motherboard ? Some sign of life...is the CPU fan spinning ?

Hsin-ning Chang
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 12:24 PM      Profile for Hsin-ning Chang   Email Hsin-ning Chang   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The second time I rebooted it, it had a beep sound. Nothing after the third time though. No sound from the fan and other parts of the server at all...

Hsin-ning Chang
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Hsin-ning Chang   Email Hsin-ning Chang   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I changed the battery on the motherboard, and no reaction from the server still when pressed the power switch. I start to wondering if the problem comes from the power switch or the power supply box, since there is absolutely no sign of living when I press the power switch. Do I even brother to try to reconnect the memory cards? Any suggestion or advice?

Thank you!

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a Supermicro motherboard ? If so, there is an LED close to the SATA ports that should be lit.
I doubt it could be the switch, but if you really want to test you could always short directly the pins, where the cable switch is plugged in.
My bet would be a faulty motherboard...

Hsin-ning Chang
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 03:01 PM      Profile for Hsin-ning Chang   Email Hsin-ning Chang   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is Supermicro RoHS Compliant, and yes, there is a LED light next to the SATA port that is NOT lit. So, I think this confirms that the motherboard is bad, right? (sigh.)

Thank you Adrian for the helps!! I guess talk to Doremi is the only way to go now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: