Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco Exhaust-free adaptor for DP2K-10S/8S/6E

Author Topic: Barco Exhaust-free adaptor for DP2K-10S/8S/6E
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-16-2015 07:43 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me what this R9856600 (Exhaust-free adaptor) is used/needed for? The image and description do not tell me anything.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It replaces the round exhaust outlet on top with an outlet which blows out the back of the projector. No external exhaust can be connected anymore and hot air is expelled by the internal lamp fans to the rear of the projector. It prevents dust and debris from falling into the projector when no external exhaust is used cause the top is closed, it also comes in handy when your projector is right up against the ceiling or HVAC or so.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-16-2015 01:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay, that makes sense - just not for the DP2K-8S/10S/6E, which have no top exhaust at all, yet they are linked with this option.

I actually thought I would be the other way round, being an external adaptor that leads the back exhaust into an exhaust tube for controlled air exit.

- Carsten

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the larger machines have a port blocking the rear exhaust and the rear panel is marked where to cut for the exhaust. For the bottom projector when they're stacked.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-17-2015 05:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8S and 10S ship with the standard 8" top exhaust. The adaptor you mention is the option. Perhaps it ships with that adapter instead in other countries?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-17-2015 06:40 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed a bunch of the 10s and 8s. All have come from the factory with the 8" top facing exhaust duct fitting. The optional rear adapter comes packed separately. You remove the duct adapter to install it. Maybe other places get it the other way around, but I was told we could not order a projector with the thing already installed (to avoid paying for both, effectively).
The "Exhaust-free adaptor" is only for places with no exhaust duct: hot air blows out the back through a diffuser/light trap. It is passive - no extra fan - and it costs A LOT for a plastic diffuser.
These projectors work fine with the duct fitting open but you can see the lamp through the hole... definite UV exposure danger, and maybe small projectile bits of glass could do some damage if you were above it when a lamp exploded. A "reputable source" told me that the UV and projectile dangers are the only reasons for the diffuser adapter.
You can use a pair of 8" 90s stuck together on the fitting that blocks direct light (and projectiles), and then point the hot air pretty much any direction you like. Around $20.00 all in, but fugly. That's several hundred bucks less than the not fugly Barco adapter.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2015 09:56 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, our Barco is exhausted via an 8" black stove-pipe adapter to flex-pipe. And in the winter, an 8" stove-pipe cap (just in case any critters somehow got in). Available at your local hardware!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: