Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » ALT version of trailers

Author Topic: ALT version of trailers
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-13-2015 03:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if this has been officially posted elsewhere...I did a quick search but...

Is there a secret decoder ring for all of the various versions of trailers for a single title.

To use this week's example, Star Wars' 3rd version make it to the trailmix and there is the 3 and 3 ALT (I presume alternative version). Why would one program one versus the other?

Now some trailers have their cutesy lingo in them like "NIRD"...which I have come to understand as "Not Imax or Real D" But where is that written down anywhere?

There ought to be a place one can look up what some of these versions mean so one can program the trailers that best fit the show they are to be associated with.

|  IP: Logged

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2015 04:18 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Historically, the content list that comes with the trailer drives has listed exactly what it means. These days, those letters just get emailed along with feature keys, but it's more or less the same listing other than that. However, the last few I've tried to look up don't specify anything. I've just seen TLR-1 and TLR-1-ALT listed for the same trailer, and the extended title just mirrors that. Notice how there are some trailers were only an ALT version is available at all. It's almost like how some trailers put "2D" in the title, even if it's not available in 3D.

The studios just seem to be doing their own thing, and I guess Deluxe got tired of trying to keep track of it. I hate to say it, but it's starting to look like the only way to figure out exactly what means what is to just contact the studio.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-13-2015 04:31 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a few ALT trailers lately that don't say"See it in IMAX" while the non-ALT one does say that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: