Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » On/off NEC NC2000C questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: On/off NEC NC2000C questions
Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2015 07:44 AM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, it's nice to meet you!

I'm new to the cinema world so I'm very glad there are plenty of experienced people here that can offer some advice!

We recently had an NEC NC2000C installed and I have a few questions. The tech that installed it took us through how to power up and power down the projector but I have since read the manual and there are discrepancies. The install guy told us to leave the breakers (labeled PJ POWER switch and LAMP POWER switch)to the right of the control panel on when turning the power on at the wall because the main overall breaker (which is always on)is enough. The manual says that leaving the PJ and LAMP switches on when supplying or cutting the power to the projector can damage it. It's made me rather uneasy because I don't want to break anything costly! I have also read here that the PJ POWER and LAMP POWER switches can break when used all the time which has further confused the matter! What is my best choice when turning the projector on and off?

I have also noticed that when I turn off the projector on the panel it seems to skip the cool down countdown, I have not seen it, it just goes to standby. I leave it for at least 10 mins before turning it off at the wall. Why aren't I seeing the cool down countdown?

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Cody Polla
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2015 09:18 AM      Profile for Cody Polla   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Polla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will always want to power down the NEC by using the power button (circle with line through it). If you wait 10 minutes to power off the projector after turning off the lamp, no cool down is required. If you power off the projector right after the lamp is powered off, a cool down timer will be present. This can be bypassed in an emergency by powering off the breakers or switches, though not advised.

Once powered off, you can leave the projector in standby or fully power it off. It is left in standby, it can be powered on remotely (from home or office). If it is powered off from a breaker, it will have to be physically powered on from the breaker.

I have heard the switches on the projector are prone to breaking after prolonged use (unless this has changed recently). It is recommended to just power off the breakers in the panel if you wish to kill all power to the projector after use. No difference in powering off the breakers versus the switches. It is not recommended to kill the power at the breaker while the lamp is still powered on, no cooling will occur.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-11-2015 12:43 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that powering ballast and electronics by a bigger switch - the wall breaker - makes your system more prone to receive some power spikes. I believe this is valid for any electronic device, it's always better to switch the device from its switch rather than from a big 32A rotary switch on the wall.
That said, electronics is usually behind a power supply and as such it should be able to filter off anything dangerous.

If you want to be sure, buy an 'online' UPS.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-11-2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The essential thing you need to ensure in order to avoid damage is that the xenon arc light bulb in the projector continues to receive forced air being pushed over it for a significant time after it's no longer lit at the end of your show (this applies to all xenon arc bulbs, not just the one in this model of projector).

The anode (big metal thing in the middle of the bulb) stores a significant amount of residual heat, which it will continue to discharge into the bulb envelope for a few minutes after it is no longer being heated by the arc. In order to avoid that heat building up in the bulb such that at best it weakens the seals and shortens the bulb's life, and at worst blows the bulb up, you need the intake and exhaust fans need to keep going for a while after the bulb is out.

In every booth I've worked, the exhaust fan is a separate appliance (usually in a false ceiling or on the roof), not part of the projector or lamphouse. As such, it is operated by a separate switch or breaker that is located somewhere else in the booth. The projector's intake fans, however, work as Cody describes: they're part of the projector and so controlled by its software. Obviously, if you simply kill the AC power to the projector's electronics, the intake fans will stop. If you press the "Power Off" big button on the front page of Digital Cinema Communicator, then if the lamp is on at the time, it'll kill the lamp and then count 600 seconds (10 minutes) before killing the intake fans as well, as one of the final steps in its shutdown procedure.

If your bulb is 3kW or smaller, the extract ventilation is adequate and the room temperature not excessive, this should be enough. However, if any of these don't apply, and especially if you're using a larger xenon bulb, I'd say leave it for 15 minutes rather than 10. The way you achieve that is to use the "lamp off" smaller button on the right of Digital Cinema Communicator's front page, wait 15 minutes, then power off. If 10 minutes have already elapsed since the bulb was last lit, the power off button on DCC will shut down the projector after only 20 seconds: it knows that it doesn't need to leave time for the bulb to cool.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-11-2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned, you should power off your projector using the soft key on the front panel, and allow it to go through the cool down cycle. If the projector has been off for at least 5 minutes, this cool down cycle will only take about 15 second (8 second count down plus processing time).

I strongly recommend against powering off the projector via the white switch on the front panel. These switches are prone to failure, and will most likely fail in the off position - meaning you won't be able to turn on the projector to start the day.

The only time I turn off the the breaker on the projector is when I am going to be changing the lamp or otherwise working inside the projector.

If your projector was installed so the project and lamp are powered separately, then you can plug the projector into a switched power supply and/or UPS. This way you can switch off the projector without having to use the white switch ever. Plugging into a UPS allows your playback to continue in the event of a power outage. Although the lamp will go out, the playback will not stop.

The advantage is that if you have a momentary outage, you will be able to simply pause the playback, rewind a bit if you choose, and relight the lamp. If you do not have the projector on a UPS, then you will have to go through the entire boot process. Your server should be on a UPS either way.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-12-2015 11:07 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deleted, wrong topic.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2015 12:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an "On Line" type of UPS you can just use the soft keys on that to completely power the projector down after using the projectors on board "power Key" to bring it safely back to standby. I have several customers that do this. NEC's are also the only projectors that have the true standby feature.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-15-2015 02:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? What do you mean by that? Christie has a standby mode (that is their normal shut down) and Barco's "S" series is also a standby (sleep) mode.

What in the mind of Mark constitutes a "true standby mode?"

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-15-2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie (and Barco S I reckon) don't have a fan always spinning in stand by.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2015 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys, I'm thinking of series one stuff.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-17-2015 05:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...and Christie Series 1 doesn't have a stand by mode? The S, SB, X, XB M all had standby modes.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-18-2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention the ZX too had a standby mode.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-18-2015 01:36 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Mark meant the old 1K DLP machines

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm was not aware of a standby mode on the Series 1 CP2000SB; I have to wait 10 mins and then turn off the projector 2 pole breaker and the three phase, or else the fans and TPC never go off (or did I mis-read the above comment from Steve G)?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-19-2015 06:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC wasn't in the game for the 1.3K machines. DP was still to be the 3rd OEM.

It appears I mis-spoke about the S/SB/X/XB...you are correct, they didn't have a standby mode...the ZX and M did though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: