Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Turn Off mobile phone - phone scanner DCP download

Author Topic: Turn Off mobile phone - phone scanner DCP download
Jo Osborne
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2015 09:18 AM      Profile for Jo Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Jo Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made this for my cinema and thought I would post it here incase anybody would like to use it.

Its a "Turn your phone off" advert (With a twist [Smile]
Just to keep customers on their toes. The advert plays on screen and appears to be a radar that scans the cinema for bluetooth, wifi and GSM. then it alert staff as to which people have there phones on.

Its just a bit of fun really. Theres nothing worse then spending all the time on film presentation just to be ruined by some idiot on his phone.

Spent a lot of time getting the colors to pop on screen and recording spinning hard drives etc.. for the sound effects.

Hopefully someone finds it useful.

View on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLi-V1tEFSE&feature=youtu.be

Download 5.1 DCP:
http://tinyurl.com/RadarPhone

Shows up in Transitions (XSN)
Flat

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-09-2015 12:35 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, heh. Now I want a real one [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was all ready to download it until the "plug" at the end. Which I realize they deserve credit for creating it but... they rendered it useless.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-09-2015 05:57 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like it. You appear to be threatening your customers and not in an obviously humorous way.

Stuff like the Cinetize one with the gunshot sound effects and "Turn off your cell phone... before we do." is better because it's obviously a joke.

Raz Tovy
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 01:35 AM      Profile for Raz Tovy   Email Raz Tovy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
look good.

Austin Pettit
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Austin Pettit   Author's Homepage   Email Austin Pettit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha. That's awesome. Well done!

Have you seen the cell phone warnings that the Alamo Drafthouse play before screenings? Some pretty epic ones.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlamoDrafthouse

Jo Osborne
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for Jo Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Jo Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words.

@Mike Blakesley - I understand. I was planning on doing a version without my logo at the end. And then giving the projectionist the option as to wether they want to support me or not.
I just haven't got round to cutting it off and rendering it out.

Just to clear things up.. I am not a big company making thousands from my content. I am the chief projectionist working in a 6 screen independent cinema in Ireland. I also do freelance sound design and animation on my days off. (a lot of the time unpaid)
I spent two years learning to make DCPs and video animation specifically to put stuff on our screens. Its not part of my job and I don't get paid for it. I make it for my own enjoyment and for the customers.
So I put my logo at the end of the adverts that I put on screen as a small payment to myself for all the hours I put into this.

For example here is something I made to show our cinema. (You might find it interesting to see the projection equipment and cinema). I filmed it by myself with all my own gear.It took me 8 months of my own time after work. So I think a small logo at the end is only fair.

https://vimeo.com/122153983

I hope that clears it up a little as to why I have put my logo on the content and changes your mind about downloading it Mike. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jo, the best advice I can give you is to watch the clip about 40 times in a row nonstop. Don't look off at your phone. Don't answer a call. Just watch it over and over.

If at 45 seconds it still doesn't seem to drag, then ok, but honestly at one viewing I was just waiting for it to get to the point. It's just too long for somebody to run over and over and over at a theater.

Shorter is better. It doesn't become annoying. It stays humorous that way. [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx to DCP-O-Matic software, anybody can make DCP's on their office computer, or laptop.

I created a 10 minute countdown clock reel from my smartphone for a local drive-in. Captured a countdown from an app for my iPad, used the phone to video the image with adding voice during the countdown for snackbar promos , then did the conversion.

Worked real good and it drove up their conc sales.

Good luck - Monte

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2015 10:45 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fun Monte, should give it a go for our drive-in. My 8 year old daughter loves to do announcements, and I'd love to plug our "wholesome, health-ful" snacks just for fun. I love those old drive-in ads, why not visit our snack bar RIGHT NOW? Don't wait one minute!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: