Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 25fps 3D Test target

Author Topic: 25fps 3D Test target
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-06-2015 07:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have or know of a place to download a good 25fps 3D test target in DCP format? I need to set up the filter wheel on a Dolby 3D system and need a suitable reference. No, the content didn't come with chart.

So I'm figuring someone from the European countries has come across this by now.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, freedcp does not have any 3D-25fps. Doremis dcp-store does have some 25fps 3D with subitles, but they certainly do not qualify for Dolby 3D setup.

I would think you could easily make your own with DCP-o-matic from your preferred 24fps test-target, that would probably be the best way to do it, as you could create other frame rates as well in one go, like 30, 48, 50, and 60.

Which test-target do you use for 24 fps 3D?

Actually there is not much 25fps 3D produced over here. Even 25fps 2D is rarely seen in cinemas.

- Carsten

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2015 04:57 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Even 25fps 2D is rarely seen in cinemas
Maybe in Germany [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-07-2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally use Dolby's for every 3D setup I use (and spot check with the target supplied with the feature, if it has one, and I happen to be in the theatre). Dolby has it for 24 and 48fps but not for 25, 30 or 60. I suspect that 60fps will be along once James Cameron does Avatar 2.

This one came in out of the blue...customer called saying that the 3D wasn't working (double imaging)..."would 25fps have anything to do with it?" Ah yeah! The DFC 100 should be able to deal with it on triple-flash since they have a 75Hz mode that they intended for something on of those goofy 5:2 modes.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-04-2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following up on this one. I've made (or had the target made for me by a friend) so I could make a 25fps 3D DCP. No problem with the Dolby servers I tested (with Barco Dolby filter wheels).

While I was at it, I made 30 and 60fps versions too since...well...you know how 3D is...like a damn piece of gum that sticks to your shoe.

I noticed that on the Barco filter wheel, it could not handle 60fps at double-flash (120Hz)...no problem at single flash. while in the double flash setting...everything looked right...the projector and wheel did correctly see the speed as 120Hz it just couldn't ever quite sync up.

No problem on either 25 or 30fps with triple flash (90Hz)...since 48fps double flash is 96Hz, I didn't foresee any problem there.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-04-2015 03:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the current Dolby DFC software, the only recognized rates are 48, 60, 72, 75 and 96 so it would appear that even for 30fps one would be on double flash. 25fps could be on triple flash. My guess is that if there was a demand, they could add in 90Hz since it clearly can handle faster than that.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-08-2015 06:13 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just happened to see 25fps 3D chart on Doremi FTP server. Basically all possible frequencies and resolutions.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-08-2015 03:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen it on the US site. But I have one now (and can make it at any usable frame rate too (I've made it at 25, 30 and 60 since 24 and 48 already exist).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-08-2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's accessible from doremitechno, search for "test" (need to be logged in)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: