Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Replacing an Operating System Hard Drive on GDC Server

Author Topic: Replacing an Operating System Hard Drive on GDC Server
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-05-2015 11:44 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier this week I had to replace the OS drive on one of my GDC servers - SX-2001 model. I thought it would be worthwhile documenting the procedure here.

Symptoms: Starting having problems with shows "hanging" or "glitching" during presentation - usually it was just a momentary pause where the picture freezes and the sound system keeps playing that instant of sound. This is pretty much the same as when I've had array drives fail.

Diagnosis: Extracted logs and sent to GDC for diagnosis. The extracted file was 9MB, so I uploaded it to an FTP directory. GDC has an upload directory on their FTP site, but I was not able to upload for whatever reason.

Resolution: GDC diagnosed a bad OS drive and sent out a replacement on an RMA.

Procedure for fixing.
1. Ensure you have a current backup of your configuration. If your OS drive has not completely failed, you can create this from the admin panel. Otherwise you can extract the configuration from another screen, but you will have to be sure the change the IP addresses and any settings or automation events which are different.

2. Disconnect cables from the server and remove from your rack. I recommend taking a picture of the back of the server just so you have a reference to ensure everything gets plugged in correctly.

3. Open case and remove OS drive. I had to remove the disk mount bracket by undoing 2 small silver screws directly below the connections on the back of the drive. Also need to remove the grounding cable.

4. Swap the drive with the new on and replace the mount. It's a tight space, so I set the screws in the holes and carefully lowered the mount into place. Keep in mind that it will need to slide forward by about 1/2".

5. Make sure cables are secure to the back of the drive and to the motherboard. If this is the original drive, all the cables may be glued in place.

6. Replace server in rack and reconnect all the cables.

7. The new OS drive will be on version 7.7b, so you will need to upgrade to the appropriate version for your theatre. In this version you get to the update function through Configuration>Assistance on the SMS screen. In later versions you can access it through Diagnostic/Maintenance in the Admin Panel.

If you are need to be on the 8.01 for DCI compliance, it gets a little more complicated from here.

8. I did the 7.83 update, then the 8.01 build xxx.

9. To get to the 8.01 build xxx, you will need to download the "upgrade-SASX..." from the 8x folder on the GDC FTP site. You should also download the DCI-Software_Install_Manual from the same directory. You will need a password from GDC to open this PDF.

If you have a non-IMB server, keep in mind you will need to change the network cables on the back of your server so ETH1 is connected to the network port on the media block.

10. After the update you will need to set the IP address for your SM Manger. Most likely it will say it failed after the first reboot, but will be fine when rebooted again.

One thing I'm wondering is if the more recent versions of 8.01 will allow you to upgrade directly from 7.7b without having to go to 7.83.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-06-2015 06:52 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the post. Might be a good idea to make it a pdf and put it in thw warehouse for easy download.

I'm surprised that GDC can't supply an OS drive already on a reasonably current 8.01 version. My guess is that the image they have is of what the drive was on day one for that serial number.

What may be a good procedure to post is a "best practice" for cloning the OS drive. Drives are cheap so a good annual maintenance task may be to clone the OS drive of each server (if the OS has changed since the last clone) and leave it in the server just for such an emergency. Wouldn't it be nice to JUST have to deal with the SPLs and such? The content is completely on the RAID. The Configuration should already be backed up (I use the shell ) so restoring the system should be something as fast as swapping drives, upload any changes and re-push (or program) the SPLs/schedules.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-06-2015 02:10 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, the answer GDC gave me for shipping OS drives with 7.7b is because of different version requirements at different locations. I assume it makes it easier for them to just apply the 7.7b image. They can keep an inventory and get them out the door in no time.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-06-2015 07:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but at some point, a DCI compliant version shouldn't seem special. I'm sure it is all about being easier on them but I'm interested in it being easier on ME!

So again, I think the thing to do is start cloning OS drives for each server so that all one would have to do is move the cables over and make a minor update so the mediablock version would match and finally rebuild the SPLs...which in a typical TMS system would be very fast. Down time would be on the order of just losing a show.

It would have been nice if they did a mirror on the OS drive and then put out one of the annoying boxes you have to keep clearing until you replace the faulty drive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-07-2015 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the two OS drives I have had fail in six years (out of 335) servers the two I received already had DCI firmware on them. One already had the serial number burned in it so it was plug n play. The other was DCI but had no serial number so they remoted in and took care of that.

Note that GDC will sell new servers with a spare OS drive already in place if you request that. You can also keep a spare OS drive in place and all you'll have to do is move the SATA cables over and reboot the server and remake the SPL, Five minutes or less! Of the locations I have spare drives installed in operating servers the primary drive of course has never failed. If you do keep a spare drive in place be sure to test it upon receipt to be sure it is serial numbered for the unit it is in and it also has to be kept updated as well. Not a big deal of your servers are on rack slides.

If you do clone the drives be sure to clone all of the partitions!

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2015 02:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that every time an update is done, you have to perform the update, stop and turn the thing off, move cables around, then perform the update all over again, test, stop and turn the thing off, move cables around the way they were, then turn it back on. It more than doubles the amount of time for an update, but yes at least if someone does go through all of that extra hassle it's a quick fix.

What's ridiculous to me is why doesn't GDC write in a raid1 option for their OS drive? They have the spare sata port on the motherboard. Just write it into the software and make it an option that can be enabled.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-07-2015 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you are semi-current on OS...the extra added step of updating software isn't the end of the world in such an event (it takes 15 minutes or less, depending on how far back you are). I'd be happier having the clone in each one and REALLY happy if it was just plain mirrored from the get-go. Again, Hard drives are cheap. THEY WILL FAIL...every single one of them. It isn't a matter of if, but when.

Then again...I'm waiting for 2020 when all of the ICP certificate batteries start failing (not the changeable clock battery, the soldered in certificate one).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-07-2015 06:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Then again...I'm waiting for 2020 when all of the ICP certificate batteries start failing (not the changeable clock battery, the soldered in certificate one).
Oh nice, another ticking bomb from Texas Instruments?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-07-2015 07:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I was at one of the OEMs for factory training/certification on their Laser products and that tid bit was mentioned. I knew about the changeable battery but I hadn't registered that the certificate battery had a finite life span with an estimated 10-years...so...since 2010 is when Series 2 projectors hit the streets...the first ICPs should start to drop by then.

I sure hope he was wrong but I don't think so. Given the price of ICPs...all over a stupid battery!!! TI needs to have a shop that people can send Enigmas and ICPs to regardless of OEM to get them fixed from normal software/battery defects.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-07-2015 09:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I can now add is that you can go directly from 7.7b to 8.01 build 244. I don't know how early of a build you can do this without having to run 7.83 first, but it certainly saves time.

For what it's worth, I had to get a second replacement because the first replacement OS drive failed almost immediately.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-08-2015 09:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Build 244? haven't seen that one...just build 218 (just checked the FTP site too).

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-08-2015 11:05 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the software>pilot directory.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-08-2015 12:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
For what it's worth, I had to get a second replacement because the first replacement OS drive failed almost immediately.
Justin, how old is the server? Have you had any power issues recently?

I find it odd that a drive would fail that quickly, I wonder if the server's power supply is going bad and killing the drives?

I had a PC here that was reliable for many years, and suddenly started killing drives and memory...found out the power supply was bad and sending bursts of "noise" on the DC rails..replaced the P/S and all was good afterwards.

Just something to consider..

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-08-2015 01:04 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we were trouble shooting, power issues were something we looked at. At this point I don't have any indication of power issues, but it's something I am watching for. At this point I think it was just a coincidence that we had a second bad drive.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-09-2015 06:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mean Time Between Failure is just that...not all drives will make it. Just like with Xenon lamps...you may have really good success with a particular brand/model but there is that odd one that just doesn't do the job.

I found the software...I guess "pilot" is their word for "Beta." I tend to work with things a bit more established unless it fixes a problem I'm particularly having to deal with.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: