Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 4k OKLAHOMA PROBLEM

Author Topic: 4k OKLAHOMA PROBLEM
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2015 12:54 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't play video, just audio, 2 weeks before played my fair lady and other content in 4k with no problem.my fair lady was on the same hard drive also tried another hard drive of OKLAHOMA, still the same problem, GDC OR DELUXE had no answers either, any ideas.did any body else, have this problem.landed up running OKLAHOMA in 2k.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-03-2015 04:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it 30fps? Maybe your system does not support that frame rate?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2015 06:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That IS is. Oklahoma! is a 4K 30fps DCP. GDC does not claim to support 30fps 4K (they barely claim to support 2K at 30fps...but do support 2K at 48fps since that was a DCI thing). It is likely not a bandwidth thing but more likely not understanding 4K and 30fps as a valid combination. It is probably worth updating your server to the latest build since I hear that they added new frame rate support VERY recently. GDC is very poor about issuing release notes with their updates (you have to ask, each time).

FWIW...the Dolby DSS/CAT745 system WILL play 4K/30fps since I've seen that one for myself.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2015 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran into this issue last week but not at any location I service. Actually beginning at Build 200 GDC can indeed support 30 fps. So just update your server to the current Build 218 and it should play back just fine. (Build 369 for SX-3000).

Always keep all equipment updated or this is the sort of thing that will happen... And running test playback on SMPTE formatted DCP's is also a wise idea while you're at it.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-03-2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Especially and absolutely if the DCP has subtitles.

I'd be interested to try the Oklahoma DCP on our projectors.

The projectors/servers in two of our houses (DSS200/cat865 + NEC NC2500S and DCP2000 + iS8-2K) can support 30fps at 2K, because we play these DCPs, usually ones upscaled by DCP-o-Matic or OpenDCP from standard def sources, all time time without problems. Our other house has a DSS200/cat745 + NC3200S, which again handles 2K at 30fps without any issues. Whether any of these would play 4K at that frame rate I don't know. For the 2K houses, I'm guessing it comes down to whether the media blocks have enough processing power to downscale in real time at that frame rate.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-03-2015 01:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...depending on your software version...all of your systems will play Oklahoma! just fine. Remember, they are not downscaling when playing 2K but extracting the 2K container within the 4K.

If you look at the release notes from Dolby on the software you are running, it will list the supported frame rates by format and mediablock. That said, they don't list 4K/30 in the release notes but it played just fine.

Doremi is known for playing just about anything so I'd be very surprised if it didn't handle it fine too.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2015 10:19 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the 30fps issue, i don't know why it didn't dawn on me, i ran it in 70 30fps years ago just didn't think it was relevant on a hard drive.lesson learned. it even stumped the gdc tech. put new software is installed and it still don't run,gdc is working on it. just running it in 2k. also fantasia will act like it wants to run but stops after 5 seconds key & content all shows good i can put it in my 2 k house & it will runs, does 4k nec 3240 projector have a problem with that a 1:37:1 aspect ratio? and this is the house that i have masking that comes in that far.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-05-2015 06:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector won't have an issue (regardless of DLP brand). Its limitation would be on bandwidth and 4K/30 is within the bandwidth of the ICP. It is up to the server to get it there though.

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2015 05:35 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should all series 2 4K projectors play 4K 30fps out of the box or would you need the HFR licence to run it?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-13-2015 06:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The PROJECTOR will not have a problem with it or need a license...you may need to be on a reasonably current ICP version (4.2.1 works, for sure). It is the SERVER that may have an issue or need a license. The license would be for 4K decoding (Barco, Christie, Doremi/Dolby and GDC license their 4K technology, Dolby's CAT745 For the DSS200/220 and USL's server did/do not treat 4K as needing a special license). However that is just for the 4K part.

Now not all IMBs are HFR capable (bandwidth issue)...for instance, GDC's first IMB (uses the PCIe cable) is not HFR capable and really handled 4K properly either)...however their SX2000AR or SX3000 DO handle HFR and should be a matter of software to handle 4K/30 based on bandwidth.

I'd definitely ask the manufacturer of your server to ensure that you won't have a problem with the format.

I can only speak from experience that the Dolby DSS200/CAT745 system on a Christie CP4230 had no issues with it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: