Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP4K-60L

Author Topic: Barco DP4K-60L
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-29-2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 3D mode, does anyone know wether all 6 Primaries are operated at the same time, or is a 3P Lasersource modulated into 2 pairs of RGB lines? The first would be more or less a 'dual projection through one lens', while the second would be something like an 'electronic color wheel', and it would need to use some sort of 'flashing', that is, there would be alternating L/R images.

Does anyone know the spacing of the spectral separation?

Would it actually be possible to modulate the lasers for enough spectral separation?

Barco quotes 'Switchable, dual RGB primary sets (6P), for integrated “color 3D” called “Barco Laser3D”' - but that doesn't make it clear.

'Operating in native 6 primary 3D mode further reduces power consumption and further extends light source lifetime, as each set of RGB primaries is only powered half of the time.' suggests to me they are actually flashing 3+3 for left and right in 3D.

When I consider a conventional 3DLP system design, the only way to do 3D is actually flashing/sequential L/R. Maybe at a higher rate than conventional systems, and with near-zero blank/dark times.

Another one: 'Each model in the table above, comes with a Barco exclusive. Its laser engine is comprised of two sets of Red, Green and Blue (RGB) primaries, each one spectrally offset from the other. The left eye and right eye RGB laser primaries of this engine can be electronically switched, providing buttery smooth 3D without the 'dark time' inserted for filter-wheel Xenon color 3D. This is the beauty of a controllable light laser source.'

Will these Barcos output half the spec'd lumens in 2D mode only? Can they operate 6P for 2D as well with color correction within the 6P spectrum, or, fall back to unmodulated 3P with full lumen output for 2D?

I watched a demo on a recently installed DP4K-60L a few days ago, first install in germany. Nice large Barco 3D glasses, with a tiny 'Dolby 3D' logo on the inside.
Light loss with glasses is very small. Crisp, ghosting free 3D. Looking forward to see Star Wars there...with Atmos...

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-29-2015 04:29 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK the 6P Barco L machine is still flashing as the light engine is still one and as such when using Infitec filters (Dolby 3D), the DMDs will generate one picture at a time.
The advantage is that you don't have the wheel anymore and as such you don't lose light.
I never thought that the dark time is not needed anymore, the picture switch is instantaneous!

Not sure I understand the 2D question but I understand all 6 lasers are at work in 2D.

Barco said that reducing the power level of the laser (or, in 3D, flashing them) will extend the lasers' life.

I was impressed by the demo too!

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2015 06:35 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that:
- the projector uses all 6 primaries in 2D mode
- time sequentially uses the two 3P pairs in Laser3D mode

This means e.g. that a single DP4K-60kL projector (HB lens) can do:
Up to 27m/85ft screens in 4.5fL 3D with 1.8 gain and Barco Laser3D.
Up to 23m/70ft screens in 6fL 3D with 1.8 gain and Barco Laser3D.
Up to 15m/53ft screens in 14fL 3D with 1.8 gain and Barco Laser3D.

Peter Khamas
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2015 08:20 AM      Profile for Peter Khamas   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Khamas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just installed our first DP4K-60L (today)
will post some light figures in the the next few days
the screen is Harkness Clarus 170, size 20 meters Scope [Smile]
 -
 -

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-09-2015 05:19 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!

... Barco told me they thought they could make a laser light engine would be replaceable on the 32B.

Don't yet see how it'll all fit!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-09-2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That tower are the chillers. The laser modules are in the actual projector head. That is the first version, it will become smaller and smaller. In 10y's time we will look at that beast the same way we now look at a DP90 [Smile]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-09-2015 05:49 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The retrofit will likely be a white "phosphor" laser, like the small laser projectors use. These usually have blue lasers that give blue and excite phosphors to produce the red and green.
The 60-L is a 6p laser, 6 different pure color lasers mixed together (R1, R2, G1, G2, B1, B2). The two of each color - two slightly different colors - allows 3D using the same eyewear filter technology Dolby 3D uses by altrnating between R1/G1/B1 and R2/G2/B2 images. Since there's no projector filter (and the lasers can be stinking bright!) the resulting 3D image should be quite bright.
An IMAX Laser system 3D image is definitely very bright, but they use two 3p projectors with different colors. This Barco 6p system with flashing lasers should be bright but it can't project both eyes simultaneously. There is some benefit to simultaneous projection: whether Xenon or laser, I find it much easier on the eyes and brain.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2015 08:13 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the chiller units vent into the room? How hot do they get?

Peter Khamas
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2015 01:19 AM      Profile for Peter Khamas   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Khamas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chillers have variable speed fans,,, surprisingly cool and quite, how hard they work is of course depending on ambient temperature which can not exceed 30c. currently we have 23c inside the projection room.
we have also puled the projector apart today (sorry can not post any photos) and I can say this is an impressive machine, very well designed, compact and a generation a head in comparison to others.

This laser projector is replacing a dual system and we will be testing light levels for both 3D options, Barco (dolby) laser and a master image Horizon.

Only displayed test pattern so far,and wow we have some light (lots of it) my initial thoughts are that it will need about 30% power for 2D. and achieve maximum for 3D (14fl)

looking forward to watching Specter

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-10-2015 06:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The german location I visited had the chiller units stacked and mounted to an air-exhaust tube. I have seen them blowing into the booth in various locations, so it seems they have different options.

- Carsten

Peter Khamas
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2015 11:01 PM      Profile for Peter Khamas   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Khamas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for 3D we got 7.9 FL per eye on the (dolby) 6p laser 3D and 10.5 per eye for the master image horizon

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-23-2015 01:24 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same screen, same spot on the screen?

Peter Khamas
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2015 01:45 AM      Profile for Peter Khamas   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Khamas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same screen,, same spot on the screen. the meter did not move.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: