Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » USL Caption Encoder Firmware Update

Author Topic: USL Caption Encoder Firmware Update
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-26-2015 12:35 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to update the firmware on our USL captioning system, but every time I try to upload the firmware file, the browser just times out. What am I missing?

I have tried with both FireFox and Internet Explorer. I successfully log onto the panel, then select the firmware update link, navigate to the file and click update. The browser times out each time I have tried on each of three units.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-26-2015 06:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is SUPPOSED to time out. DO NOT reload that page again...that will just restart the update process over again...instead start a new session from the home screen. This is actually detailed in manual somewhere.

What I often do is ping the device with the "-t" switch so it is continuous. Then wait for it to disconnect and come back...at that point I know that the update is complete since some browsers don't tell you when something goes away right away.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2015 07:13 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is, of course, correct. What I generally do is let the browser time out, then hit the back button. Then click the home page link. The home page should appear with the new version number.

The firmware uploads the hex file, decodes it to binary, and stores the new image in external flash memory. On receiving the end of file record, the firmware immediately jumps to code in the boot section of internal flash that copies the external flash back to internal flash. This immediate jump is why the browser times out.

Please let me know of any further issues.

Thanks!

Harold

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-26-2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this I went back and looked at the pages and saw the firmware was in fact updated. Thanks.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2015 09:09 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the movie Lawndale has an unusually large caption file. Most movies break the file into reels, but this one does not, and it's quite large. There's a beta version of the IRC-28C firmware to handle this movie. Check the USL web site for software, then beta, then version 151021. This is a temporary fix in that it reduces the number of languages transmitted to two, but that is fine for most cases. I'll revisit the firmware soon for a permanent fix.

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: