Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Equipments Need to upgrade to Digital.

Author Topic: Equipments Need to upgrade to Digital.
Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2015 08:59 AM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.
I have a small theater in india and I want to upgrade to Digital. Since I live in Canada, I can buy a system here in Canada and send to India.
I need to know What equipments do I need to buy.
Digital Projector
Lens
Rack
IMB or server. video scaler.
what ever I need to buy to upgrade.

I prefer Christie 2220 or equivalent Barco
and Dolby .
Sound system is ready for digital. Installed a datasat AP20.

Thank you and waiting for a favorable response.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-23-2015 10:26 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The equipment you are looking for depends on the screen size, budget, space available, 3D needed etc.

I feel that you should ask an installer to have a look at the drawings and then to come up with a quotation.

I feel a forum is suitable for discussing "shall I get a XYZ or a ZYX on such screen" rather than expecting someone to guide you from setting up a digital system from scratch!

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI
Thanks for your advice. and I will take it seriously.
But If I can have some sort of help from here much appreciated to educated my self to deal with a technician.

Screen 35' Wide throw distance 70ft.
No 3D for now. willing to change the screen for a silver screen.
Thank you.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-23-2015 07:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Barco you could use a 10s for a 35' 2D screen but I would recommend a 12C for the larger chip and improved contrast if the price is not too much of a barrier. These are air cooled and avoid the complication of liquid cooling. A CP2020 would be oversize, the 2210 would handle 2D. Personally I wouldn't recommend a non-xenon projector but they are also an option (NEC and Barco, I don't think Christie has one (yet?))
For top movable masking you need a 2:1 lens and all makers should have lenses that will work for side movable masking as well: the zoom range needed is around 2:1 - 2.6:1.
3D: If you plan on going 3D then things change, and it depends on 3D type. 3kW is marginal for simple (real-D Z-Screen or MasterImage wheel) silver screen systems but you'd want minimum 4kW lamp for Dolby 3D or active glasses systems. The Real-D XL (250+ seats, I believe) or the MasterImage Horizon (more $$$) should be OK with 2kW.
Server - Dolby is winding down their DSS server line and will only sell their "Doremi" servers soon. I would not recommend getting a new Dolby DSS server unless you have a strong reason (like a multiplex with other screens all using Dolby DSS servers).
As far as IMB or server... an IMB (these still require an external server) allows higher frame rates and better color in 3D compared to a "traditional" server with a dual SDI connection to the projector. The server/IMB systems cost more but do not require the expensive "Enigma" decryption engine in the projector so the real difference is not as much.
The "internal" servers - Christie, Dolby/Doremi, GDC, or Barco - all feature HFR and 4:4:4 color plus the Barco ICMP extends the possible frame rate even higher, I think. All of them have their advantages and drawbacks.
For video scaling some projectors (not all) have DVI inputs, SDI input projectors certainly have SDI inputs but these will be dedicated to the cinema server, and I believe the IMB/IMS/ICMP servers all have open SDI inputs plus HDMI and/or DisplayPort inputs. The allowable video formats are usually limited... but HD 1080/60p will always be allowed so any scaler/switcher that outputs that will work OK.
Note there are some oddities to think about if you plan on a lot of alternate content use. Make sure the system you choose has the inputs you need - ie some smaller projectors do not have DVI inputs, different IMBs and IMSs have different input options, and the Barco ICMP disables the DVI inputs on a projector it's installed in with the internal signal path they would use reassigned to the ICMP's DisplayPort inputs. You can use the server's internal audio decoding of HDMI and DisplayPort inputs to the standard 5.1 digital output but this can be problematic with some sources - you can usually get 5.1 and almost always get a 2.0 L/R signal but results are unpredictable especially with Blu-Ray. An external audio decoder that can handle the various digital audio formats gives more flexibility.

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2015 10:27 AM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dave
Thanks a millions for this little information's. I did learn and understand a lot about equipment's needed.
Re: Projector
Christie 2220. I preferred this because of in future I will upgrade to 3D. So I believe this can handle it. and also this is up-gradable for 4k.

I have given some quotes from a tech. Can you tell me is this prices are reasonable.

Could do a complete Christie CP2215 including the following listed below on a 100% payment upfront deal for US $54,500 plus tax.

- CP2215 projector
- Lens as required
- Christie IMB with 4TB RAID Storage
- Christie Rack Mount Stand
- 90 Degree Extraction Adapter
- 1 x CDXL-18SD Lamp
- Jnior Automation Box
- UPS Power Backup & Power Conditioner
- Cable Kit & Network Switch
- Gefen Pro III Video Scaler & Digital Media Adapter

This is for Christie 2215. But I am looking for a 2220 and a Dolby Doremi server future up-gradable to 3D and 4K.

Regards

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-25-2015 11:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, forget about the Christie IMB/IMS. Not until the next generation is out and has proven itself reliable enough. This especially since you are transferring this system outside the range of canadian Christie support. Maybe GDC is the better choice for india, otherwise, get a Doremi/Dolby.

For 3D, yes, Christie 2220 or a similar Barco. Not even a bad idea to aim for a 4kW bulb option with regard to 3D.
You may also consider a Sony SRX-R515, but I don't know about the support situation in india, and it limits your choice of 3D systems.
The Sony also want's a very clean booth with filtered air inlet. Very nice and easy to handle low cost 4k/high contrast machine otherwise.

- Carsten

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Carsten

Thank you for your reply and advice.

Can you please put me a system with christie 2220 and a dolby doremi server, with all the equipments needed to convet my theater to digital.

Theater is 35' screen with 70' throw distance. Sounds system is ready for digital.

Then I can forward to a supplier and get a quote. I think the quote I got is kind of rip-off me.

I live in Canada, and my Theater in india, I can not go for financing or leasing. I am paying here in Cash. So when I explain here, they go crazy.

Regards

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-26-2015 06:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is going to install the system at the target location?

- Carsten

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2015 06:58 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do have a trained technician. He has install several multiplexes.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-27-2015 07:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'd say you let him suggest what he knows and considers best.

BTW - http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f2/t004688.html

Quite a bargain I'd say.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2015 06:22 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 4K bulb is not an option with a Christie 2220. 3K high performance SD bulb is the brightest. Short life at 1000 hours.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: