Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » barco lamp files * error

Author Topic: barco lamp files * error
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2015 01:22 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys how are you?
hope everything ok.

iīm making an update firmware on a Barco 20C to the 1.13.190.00 but i did something wrong. I installed first a lamp package version 1.12.35.00, after that an * apears on the Barco lamp file 1.12.35. So i intalled the firmware 1.13.90 in order to see if that corrects the * but no. the * still on barco lamp files.
i tryied to go back to the firmware version 1.12.160 but i cant.

i recieved a Barco alert fro a new lamp package file 1.14.37 on their web site but i canīt download it.

can i run shows with that sign? *

what can i do to fix it.

thanks a lot for your help

mike moreno
Mexico

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-22-2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the asterisk "*" means is that the version number of one or more items does not match package version list. It will run.

If you want to clear the asterisk, then all you have to do is do another update with 1.13.190 but this time don't select automatic, select manual and step through it until you get to the lamp files one and tick that box...it will ask if you really want to "downgrade" . Once you update that one file it will all be at the same package level.

Note, generally, there is no point in installing a lamp or lens file separately UNLESS you have specific need for the lens or lamp that is being added by that file. There could be a region of the world or a particular larger customer that wants to use a particular lamp and insists on the file so they create a lamp file between major versions. There is no need to just update every time some form of update comes along.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-22-2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve said, that is normal. It's telling you that one component does not match the package version - that is, your lamp file is in fact more up to date.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-22-2015 06:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can go back some versions but you need to use manual, select what you wish to revert, and say "yes" when it asks if you really want to. If you try an auto install of an earlier version it seems to be working but finishes super fast and didn't really do anything.
As mentioned, the asterixes mean a package version differs from what's included in the full update, that is not always an error.
- why can't you download the lamp update?
- do you want to use one of the newly added lamps? I'm not sure when the Osram 2200 was added but that's the last one I've been asking for. No point in installing the update if the lamps you use are already in the installation list.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2015 08:02 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys.

i update the lamp file by mistake. i only do the firmware normally.
tomorrow morning im going to do what you said about manual upgrade.

thanks again

mike moreno
mexico

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-23-2015 03:54 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
excuse me, why would you want to downgrade? The lamp file is an UPGRADE. As Steve says, you probably don't need it but it does not hurt and it adds more lamps to the list indeed.

It is supposed to have an asterisk, you don't have to do anything. Downgrading will remove the "*" but also the extra lamps brought from the updated lamp file.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-23-2015 05:49 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that this new lamp file *could* contain certain information that's not compatible with your older firmware. That's a reason why you might want to keep those things somewhat in check.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-23-2015 06:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Lamp files just have lamp data: make, model, R number, maximum and minimum voltage/amperage/wattage, warranty life, and possibly some specific starting requirements. Nothing that will conflict with the other firmware.
You can usually find a lamp that's "close" and use that for a lamp that isn't listed - looking at the various data items for several 4K lamps, they don't look different.
Barco added some lower power lamps and some new models from Osram in the latest update. I don't think any lamps already listed were removed.
There's no reason to remove the update - or to install it if the lamps you use are already listed.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-23-2015 06:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. Barco have released lamp files so if they don't release firmware for a long time they can still allow new lamps easily. It's supposed to be updated and to generate the asterisk.
The asterisk only warns that that component is different.

Sure, Barco should change the FW so it does not report an asterisk when the lamp file does not match the FW.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-24-2015 01:29 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
No. Lamp files just have lamp data: make, model, R number, maximum and minimum voltage/amperage/wattage, warranty life, and possibly some specific starting requirements. Nothing that will conflict with the other firmware.
Well, yes, sure... But what if they introduce a new variable or maybe even change the definition of an existing variable? You should probably design the system in a way that it doesn't break stuff in the first case and you should never do the second thing, but that's no guarantee.

It's essentially just a "configuration file" and the definition of the things that are in there *MIGHT* change throughout different versions.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-24-2015 06:18 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel

Lamp files have been introduced by Barco so an installer can add new lamps more proactively without Barco to come up with a new Firmware with the update.
I see what you mean but if Barco have detatched the lamp file from the main Firmware, I hope Barco will keep the formatting of the lamp file consistent over versions as they know that lamp files are released separately.

If the lamp file configuration ever changed, Barco will change the configuration of the stand-alone lamp upgrade files too and will put a note saying "version 1.x forward only works with software xx.xx and higher".

I seriously don't understand the reason for this thread, this is how Barco have decided to go on going forward, it's not a workaround or patching something: Barco are now releasing separate lamp files. They will cause an asterisk on the main software version. This is how it is supposed to work. There is no need to worry about it and no need to downgrade.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: