Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Some films need a Projectionist's Health Warning

Author Topic: Some films need a Projectionist's Health Warning
Geoff Power
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2015 11:45 AM      Profile for Geoff Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How I hate it when a feature starts in a way you least expect, and make you think the system's broke or you've got the wrong film altogether. When I started Cinderella (which has human characters) the other day the 1st 10 minutes were a cartoon short of Frozen, but with no warning - I had the audience turning to me and asking if I'd goofed until the short finally ended. OK I now know that it's normal with Disney, but it's not good for my heart!

Then Love & Mercy begins with 2 minutes of blank screen and soft music which had my colleague racing back to the box. Mr Turner begins in total silence with a panoramic landscape - "are the speakers connected" the duty manager asked me (as we alternate live shows with film this can easily happen, and does).

Jurassic World has a weird 2:1 aspect ratio leaving black bars top & bottom, but we were warned of this by the distributors (and I'd picked it up on this forum). I wish they'd all put a note in with the packing list to forewarn us of any abnormal running "issues".

OK, rant over ... I feel better now, until the next time!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2015 04:18 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last 50 or so years of cinema are full of such things, fake gate burns, phony film jumps and the like, as well as other fake outs. The first time I ran Monty Python & The Holy Grail I had NO clue about the ending. I thought for sure that I had failed to find a sixth reel.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-04-2015 04:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why projectionists used to preview all the shows.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest though with Cinderella, Disney did ADVERTISE it with the Frozen short, so people should of been expecting to see it with that no matter what. You should of also checked the drive you got as mine had a file for the Frozen short built-on the hard drive. Jurassic World was a strange case of "flat mixing with scope", the reason I believe was because the first 3 were shot in 1.85 to achieve maximum height for the dinosaurs (which is what Spielberg said) but someone on board this movie must of wanted it to be shot in 2.39, so the director settled on 2.1 to make things even. When I saw JW for the first time in a regular auditorium, it was shown in native 1.85 (no black bars), but I saw it again at a Cinemark XD and there were black bars on the top/bottom. [Confused]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2015 05:18 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody ever run "The Projectionist" (1971)? It starts with a cartoon and a film break. A real heart stopper if you are in the booth.

We never had the luxury to preview films back then. Often the print would arrive shortly before showtime.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2015 06:13 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie was also causing a ruckus amongst projectionists because it opened with a "fake theater policy trailer" before the studio logos. Tropic Thunder was the same sort of situation as well, which had fake character trailers before the actual feature started. It's much more easier to recognize it's apart of the film now a days since it's all digital, but with 35mm, someone could of easily thought that they screwed up or got the wrong print.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-04-2015 07:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one that got me was Gremlins: The New Batch. It has a fake gate burn that looks completely real. I happened to be standing in front of the booth in the balcony when it happened -- I had gone downstairs to the restroom and was just watching the audience for a minute before going back inside the booth. The fake burn happened and I raced for the booth door, and just when I got inside I heard the gremlins "hehehehehe" laugh and I knew I'd been had.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-04-2015 08:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector malfunction fake out in Gremlins 2: The New Batch was a hoot. I was watching it in 70mm Dolby SR at a theater in Manhattan. When the Gremlins started laughing and making hand shadows on the screen their noise sounded like it was coming from the booth.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-04-2015 11:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an alternative breakdown gag for the home video version, in which the picture breaks up and NTSC snow appears, as if the VHS tape had jammed in the transport around the scanning drum, followed by silhouettes of gremlins and a cheesy 1950s western serial. IMHO, they should have put that one on the DCP.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2015 09:15 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Love & Mercy" in a theater and don't remember two minutes of music with no image.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-04-2015 12:26 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I inspect film, I always note whether a reel starts on black -- ever since that one time I got confused when I changed over and saw nothing on-screen.

(I also note if a reel fades out to black at the end, but that's less scary. The note is mainly to help with changeover timing.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: