Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi remembers "unsaved" playlist?

Author Topic: Doremi remembers "unsaved" playlist?
Geoff Power
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2015 04:35 AM      Profile for Geoff Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're a small volunteer-manned arthouse cinema and encounter many unexpected issues, but this week's was bizarre. The basic question is, does Doremi remember a playlist that has been edited, then played but not saved?

The background : I was called in in a crisis because no playlist had been set up for the film "Love & Mercy". I opened the playlist for "Wonders" and swapped in the required feature. It then ran OK (just in time!) ejected and closed down normally WITHOUT saving or overwriting the original playlist. The next day a colleague loaded the Wonders playlist and ran it, only to find Love and Mercy played after the usual ads & trailers. After some panic, and loss of some disgruntled customers, he reloaded Wonders and it ran normally. Today I checked all the playlists on the system, and the Wonders was still correct, and none of the others contained Love & Mercy!

My only explanation is that Doremi must retain in memory the last playlist and on next startup ignores a request to reopen it from disk, preferring to show its own version! Is this not bizarre?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-04-2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is normal.
You opened the "Wonders" playlist, replaced the feature, then played the show. After powering down and restarting, the modified playlist was gone and the "Wonders" one still had wonders. That's expected behavior.
There are 3 places a playlist can exist. Saved and ready to load into editor, on the editor screen, and in the playback engine - playing or paused.
What's shown on the editor screen can be saved or played, but is lost on reboot.
Basically, after the revision you should have saved the modified playlist as "love & mercy" - before or after starting playback.
Once a show is playing or paused you can use the editor window to create, modify, and save playlists at will without disturbing the show. Only after ejecting and restarting a show does the playback engine load the playlist from the editor screen.
Also, scheduled shows don't affect the editor screen: the scheduled playlist loads directly to the playback engine, so what's on the editor screen is not necessarily what is playing.

Geoff Power
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2015 11:24 AM      Profile for Geoff Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure you got my point Dave. You said ...

"You opened the "Wonders" playlist, replaced the feature, then played the show. After powering down and restarting, the modified playlist was gone and the "Wonders" one still had wonders. That's expected behavior."

The trouble is that I didn't want to keep the modified playlist - it was just a one-off in an emergency and had Love & Mercy as the feature. Therefore when the show finished and that playlist ejected normally, it should have disappeared forever. But it didn't, and when the next guy loaded the Wonders playlist he got instead my modified version with the wrong feature. Only later did he reload the same playlist and found it to be correct.

My boss has just done an experiment and replicated exactly this scenario. Doremi appears to want to keep any unsaved edits even over a full shut-down, and ignores a command to load the unedited version. The answer, of course, is to save any edits under a different name and then delete it afterwards ... if only I'd known that at the time!

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-04-2015 02:47 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's a new one on me. I have seen one of my test material playlists still on a server editor screen weeks (of scheduled shows) after a service call, but these places never power down.
Strange.
I just tried this and the saved playlist opened without the changes I had made and played before reboot. I have no explanation either way.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-04-2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New to me too - good to know. One of the many little glitches of the current Doremi, ops - Dolby - software. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: