Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Speaker and Amp recommendations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Speaker and Amp recommendations
Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2015 01:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking of replacing my much used EV behind screen speakers, mains, horns and subs. Any likes or dislikes in terms of brands?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-01-2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, like your "The Best" topic, this one is difficult, if not impossible to answer. The best speaker system would be selected after evaluating where they would ultimately be installed.

Speaker systems are designed to deal with a specific range of characteristics. Within those constraints, some installation and servicepeople will suggest their "favorites", while others will take a more scientific approach to what speaker they think would be best for you.

You probably won't get the answer you're looking for, asking the question in the way you have. Even posting the models of the speakers you currently have wouldn't be good enough, since those might not have been appropriate for your theatre in the first place.

My opinion is you need an on-site visit by a qualified tech, if not a couple of them.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-01-2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In answering your question with a question, how much money do you want to spend? New or used? There's plenty of used JBL and EV around. Also QSC amps.

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2015 12:14 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not over think this one Jack. Sam, you're on the right track. I have a barrel style art -deco theater with about a 100' throw. I currently have some very old QSC amps powering everything. I would not be opposed to used equipment and have had no problems with my QSC's, its just time to upgrade. My budget is about $3k. Could go up to $6k if necessary. I know it seems vague to you Jack, but I am just asking for some informed opinions about some of the available brands that are out there and if there are any I should avoid. For example, my EV speaker's have needed multiple repairs to the holding rings that attach the speaker cone to the cabinet. I have had to completely contact cement just about every cone in every speaker. I was told by our tech that this was a problem with this specific model of speaker. Sam, are there any surplus stores that specialize in used speakers that you would recommend? My system was upgraded in the early 90's by the now Vice President of Ultra-Stereo. He was a tech at the time and was very helpful when my original Ultra-Stereo gave up the ghost. Having done sound for a few years for music, I know that there are specific speakers, amps, XLR cables, etc. that have reputations for being reliable and bullet proof. Just wondering if any one has any recommendations.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-01-2015 12:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed completely with Jack that this is really a broader question, but why not start with an even more fundamental one: what is your audio system not doing that you'd like it to do, is there a business case for upgrading and if so, what's the best way to upgrade?

If you're going to start by asking for professional advice, the professional needs to know what your goals and budget are in order to be able to deliver the right advice.

For a few months after first arriving in the US, I sold archival film scanners. The needs of, say, UCLA wanting to scan reels of nitrate features in 4K as the first step in a full-scale restoration are very different from those of a mail order "Your old super 8 home movies transferred to DVD" business. The former will want the highest possible quality of output, but speed and ease of operation are less important. The latter will need it to scan 10,000 feet a day while being looked after by a minimally trained operator, but won't need the flexibility to adjust the timing, gamma curve etc., of each individual frame, or sophisticated digital restoration software tools bundled with it.

So if an enquiry began with "I see that your scanner has this cool feature; please tell me more about it," my response would be to ask about the inquirer's business and what (s)he needs out of a film scanner in the round, not just in relation to that one feature. If you're contemplating a major investment in capital equipment for your business, a fundamental look at why you're considering a big spend and what you expect that investment to deliver is essential.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd stay away from used EV for sure or any speaker that uses foam surrounds on the woofers. EV stuff is much more difficult to get parts for now and expensive re-cone and or re-foam repairs will ensue. I have a theater in Idaho that is full of deteriorating EV woofers we are cycling out. And the high end response of E-V was never too impressive, although their large horn was excellent if you used a JBL driver on it.

Used JBL stuff, sure. It's ok and easier to get repaired and less likely to need repairs unless you end up with woofers that have foam surround. They made a few with that too.

I don't even bother with used any more, or new JBL because they have virtually zero cinema support in the USA since Lynn Dean retired. The stuff is questionable and a lot of it now comes from China.

Now, everyone gets new QSC speakers. They're made in CA, have great tech support and will help to ensure you get the correct speakers for your particular auditorium. BTW: 100' throw is going to require large horns or big systems so you have decent HF coverage front to back or dialog is going to suffer.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-01-2015 05:02 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-03-2015 06:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is right/ At one time you could buy a JBL replacement for the cost of reconing an EV. Not only that, but it was a forever fix with one way freight. You won't go wrong with a used JBL 4675.

Lyn Dean did not retire. She fought too hard for her customers.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-03-2015 09:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a "former" EV factory authorized reconer...I don't know what you are talking about. EV recones were the cheapest BY far of the larger brands. Furthermore, one could piece-meal the entire recone kit as much as one wanted. They were far cheaper to recone than JBL. JBL pre-assembled their recone kits into what is known as an "C" kit such that the v.c. spider, cone are all pre glued together. This works because JBL has a high degree of precision on their drivers. All one has to do is check the air gap on the pole piece to ensure it is within tolerance. With EV, it is an "A" kit where nothing is put together. One has to have fixtures for every type of driver/kit they want to assemble. The advantage there is not only cost (the manufacturer doesn't have to assemble anything beyond the v.c. windings on the v.c. former or the compliance on the cone, that via the fixture, the cone will be exactly centered to how the driver, such as it is, is made. It is an exact fit when you are done.

We only got into doing EV cones because we have historically done Altec...when Alec was with EV no more, there wasn't much need/call to do EV...we ended up mostly doing DJ stuff for them after a while (or low-end band speakers). Altec, for what is worth uses a process "B" kit where the spider and v.c. are pre assembled but the cone is separate so you get a degree of customization since the frame/basket may not be as precise as the magnet structure.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2015 11:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, Lyn did indeed retire... And JBL Cinema pretty much retired with her. Yes, JBL does still make some acceptable products, but there are now other products available that are much better then JBL's 40 year old designs. EV isn't evven a relative factor any longer in this country.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-03-2015 02:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VERY little of the JBL 35ish year old designs are still offered. The 4670 and 4675 are gone.

Hector Perez
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2015 11:15 PM      Profile for Hector Perez   Email Hector Perez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys, that's my firts post, im new here, It is a pleasure to write in this forum, excuse my English is not very good hope you can understand.

Well, iŽll would like to give my opinion, the sound it is very important for me.

Before choosing the speakers it is very important to know that there are some calculations that you do to make your room sound very well. First, you must keep in mind the throw, I read that is 100 m, why throw it is important? Because the sound pressure level (SPL) is lost in the distance, and this forces us to give more gain and force the speakers and this creates distortion and also damage it, causing further investment in the repair of the speakers, with a throw of 100 m to a loss of 40 dB SPL, but something happens rules said that you have 102 dB SPL 2/3 of the room without harmonic distortion, 2/3 of the room are 75 m, then lose 37.5 dB.

How to know if the the speaker recommended me is the ideal

For example the Cinema speaker Klipsh KPT-MCM-II-Q

Sensitivity: 108 dB, 1W to 1m measure pink noise.
Power handling: 1155W
Total sensitivity: 138,6 dB, 1155W, 1m measure pink noise.

And now, if we have a speaker of total sensitivity 138.6 dB and the way to lose 37.5 to 75 m the SPL would be 101.1 dB.

Maybe that can help you, or other person in this forums can reforce.

Regarts

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-08-2015 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
VERY little of the JBL 35ish year old designs are still offered. The 4670 and 4675 are gone.
That's too bad! Those were a couple of the better designs except for the two very large 3-way systems. The Screen Disarray stuff is crap.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-08-2015 12:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a 4722 over the 4670 any day. The 2380 horn was not very good...very poor pattern control and a joke trying to crossover at 500Hz. Yes, it could do it but it wasn't graceful below 1K.

The 4675 was definitely a great speaker though. Its always a happy day when one of those is behind the screen. You know it is going to tune up, and more importantly, sound good.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-08-2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hector

Welcome to the forums. I believe the throw was 100', which should be 100 feet - 30 metres. I still have to walk into a 100 metres long theatre!

Also, the peak SPL at listening position shall be 105dB. 102 is used for surrounds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: