Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi 2k4 Dolphincard problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Doremi 2k4 Dolphincard problem
Torsten Juergens
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 01:18 AM      Profile for Torsten Juergens   Email Torsten Juergens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

has any one of you ever had the following problem?

In Diagnostic Tool system,no information about chassis or version was shown, all blank!
Projector NEC2000C was obviously not seen by the doremi.

The Server has the latest software, firmware, SM version installed.
Our usual startup error messages: maintenance for a few weeks on 0 days, Dolphin Battery Replacement about 250 days.
Was never a problem.

After reboot business as usual.

Do I have to worry?
I will check the doremi logs this day.

Torsten

|  IP: Logged

Torsten Juergens
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 02:58 AM      Profile for Torsten Juergens   Email Torsten Juergens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Update-

The issue was not recognized by the system.
The log only shoes an "Invalid boot sequence" due to hard shut down and a few old "Playout logs with warnings".
After several tests with playing through a showstart with regular shutdown plus 30min pause all seems to work.

Torsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-19-2015 10:27 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby (Doremi) techs can find a lot more info in the report than the online log analyzer gives you.
The card was obviously not found on boot. That gives you exactly what you describe. The card has an ethernet connection and the PCI bus connection. Maybe USB too?
I would at least reseat the ethernet cable to the card (both ends), reseating the card is also a plan but you need a static wristband and must be extremely delicate with the card so the tamperproof covering isn't damaged.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 11:34 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious- - Do you get a "secure clock not found" error message too?

I had a dolphin board die about two weeks ago.
In addition to not being able to "see" the dolphin board, I also got the
'secure clock missing' error message. As Dave mentioned, the Doremi techs
have a much more sophisticated log analyzer than the one available online,
and can quickly diagnose your problem. You should send your logs to them.

In my case, they determined my dolphin was beyond resurrection, and
over-nighted me a replacement, & things have been working OK since.

(Unfortunately, this occurred about 72hrs before a big film festival, and I
had to frantically e-mail about two dozen different distributors and program
providers in several countries to get new KDM's issued ASAP, since changing
the dolphin board also changed the serial number and security certificates
for the serverthingy.) [Eek!]

- - but everything worked out OK in the end.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2015 04:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing GDC definitely got right is their ability to set a serial number on the mediablock (or IMB) such that if one is swapped you don't have to change keys (there is a "sync" button in the content manager to get all of the keys back in the new mediablock.

Having computers sometimes come up and not recognize things is something I've seen on other servers/computers and a reboot normally addresses the problem. I don't call it fixed since a reboot is normally a cover-up for an "undocumented feature."

I'm sure the problem for programmers is tying to nail down an infrequent item where it may be some bazaar timing thing where it only happens about 1 in a few hundred boot ups or so.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-20-2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that if you swap a mediablock on a GDC you don't need new KDMs?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-20-2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar situation in one of my systems at the beginning of this year's drive-in season. (Before anyone asks... we keep the room at a constant 60 degrees throughout the winter, and we start the projectors up mid-way through the off-season to keep the batteries charged.)

Our server was not able to identify its connection to the (Barco) projector, so we started with the obvious.... the cables. Having 3 screens here, I was able to exchange pieces to try sourcing a bad part. I also tried swapping IMBs with the other working machines. Still no luck.

Finally, I pulled the "bad" server our of the rack and brought over one from a working projector. After changing a couple of IP addresses, the server from the good system "saw" the projector. This narrowed the problem to the server.

Finally, after discussing the problem with Doremi, the support tech suggested reseating the cards in the server.

I had, up to this point, resisted taking the covers off the servers, but the simple fix to the whole problem was doing exactly that and reseating the card that connects the server to the projector.

I notice that, in our case, tightening the screw that holds the card in place slightly raised the edge connector from the motherboard socket. I'm assuming that might have had something to do with it, because the problem disappeared and we've gone through the season with no further issues.

I'm not sure how I feel about having a common connection problem crop up in a $10k server, but in my case, that's what it wound up being.

Torsten Juergens
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2015 11:18 PM      Profile for Torsten Juergens   Email Torsten Juergens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The server is still working fine.
But I try the reseating and replace the battery as well within the next few weeks.
Thanks

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-21-2015 06:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco: Yes, that is what I'm saying. The serial number follows the SERVER in a GDC. So, if you have an SX2100, 2001, 2000AR...so long as that chassis remains, that is your serial number and the mediablock or IMB will be set to match that. In the event that you swap your mediablock out (or IMB)...those KDMs are still on the server so once the replacement mediblock is adjusted to match your server's serial number, using the Sync function on Content Manager will reload them back in the mediablock. I don't think I've ever waited more than 15-minutes from the time I report that a new mediablock (or IMB) is installed before GDC is remoting in and setting the serial.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2015 10:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UNtil the advent of the sync button GDC used to have to remote into a servelock to set the SN of a new media block or IMB. I'm not sure at what build that button appeared...

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-21-2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what happens if the server is not connected to the internet?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2015 08:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've two sites with no internet, If necessary I just set up a wireless hot spot with my phone and they can still remote in via my service laptop. Of course with the sync button that's no longer necessary.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-25-2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They still need to remote in to change the serial number. All the sync button does is transfers the KDMs to the new mediablock once it is the correct serial.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2015 09:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two media blocks I had to switch out during the DCI upgrade already came with the correct SN in them. Basically plug and play.... I have set up hot spots a couple of times so they could look at server issues.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-26-2015 02:20 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No cinemas in remote locations with no Internet and no mobile reception?

I'm just wondering what happens if you don't have Internet at all. Is there another way for gdc to change the serial?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: