Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How to Play while Ingesting in Doremi

Author Topic: How to Play while Ingesting in Doremi
Geoff Power
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Geoff Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I've seen this mentioned before (but a search was negative), I believe it is possible to show a feature direct from the uningested DCP drive on a Doremi system. It's happened a couple of times recently where this facility could've saved us much grief.

So, could someone kindly spell out in simple terms (or point me to a web link) on how to set this up? I expect it requires a modified playlist, but how and when does the KDM activate?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-09-2015 07:26 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only from the network unfortunately - according to the manual. Basically the content should have already been hash checked for the Doremi to trust it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-09-2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can assign 'PlayWhileIngest capability' in Ingest source manager. I think it could be possible to play directly off a CRU drive if you have means to mount that drive directly through FTP - e.g. through a NAS or NAS->SATA converter.

If drive and network connection/NAS/converter is fast enough, it should work. Even then, you need to give the server 10min or so of prefetch time before you can safely play the content.

This could work and would be a small portable solution.

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas40esu.php

A NAS with eSATA/USB3.0 port could also offer the same functionality in a less portable form factor.

Never tried it, though.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2015 08:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, you need to give the Doremi about a 5 minute head start on the play-while-ingest feature.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-09-2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's correct, the server will need to fully ingest reel 1 before the playback begins. All subsequential reels are then ingested while playing.

Dolby servers would play straight from a drive with no waiting - but not from the network.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-09-2015 04:39 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the manual says '5-7 minutes', but would be self-adjusting to effective network speed. That could mean just about one reel, yes.
With a simple NAS or NAS converter, I would certainly spend a bit more buffering to be on the safe side. But without testing, it's hard to say.

Marco - what if the DCP is a single-reel-feature? We have them rather often here.
At some point I have to test this myself.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-09-2015 05:02 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact I was thinking "what if the DCP happens to have a very small reel 1, like a short insert with distribution logo?

I have no idea. Also, I believe the idea of enabling P&N on network only is because you would P&N from another Doremi server - hence the content is already hash checked and indexified.

But since you can P&N from any network source, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same from a single HDD. The risk would be exactly the same.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: