Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco Escape (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Barco Escape
Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2015 06:05 PM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Barco Escape?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2015 07:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some locations opening "Maze Runner 2" will be under contract with FOX to present this feature in Barco Escape.

Our location is one of them scheduled for this install for the Mid September release.

Wow, going back to meet with or our old friends of, "Able, Baker, and Charlie" again.

We all heard of "lieMax", now wonder if a new pun name will be given for this "Cinerama" wannabe presentation format.

"Smilebox with square corners?"

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2015 12:25 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/f5/t002830/p1.html

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2015 08:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sold on this format at all. It it isn't really a Cinerama wannabe either. Cinerama wanted to create a "YOU ARE THERE" feel out of a VERY large screen. The mosaic nature of Cinerama was necessary consequence of the day and an outgrowth of the Vitarama technology of the WWII trainers. It wasn't the desired goal of Cinerama to stitch three images together...just a necessity of the time.

Oddly enough, with today's technology of blending digital images/warping...etc...Barco COULD have done Cinerama on a deep curve screen and eliminated its artifacts with either a single projector or with a mosaic. But no, they went for this wacky three screen process that just looks awful to me. It makes the mistake, in my opinion, of allowing the technology to be "in-your-face" rather than enhance the experience, as Cinerama, Todd-AO, CinemaScope...etc. have tried to do.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-09-2015 08:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the cheapest way to sell three projectors instead of one. After the digital rollout is nearly over, they are looking for all sorts of things to keep sales up, be they useful or not.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-09-2015 10:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Carsten!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2015 01:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to be an interesting question, but were are the projectors installed at if the image for the side screens are kept square as possible?

Plus, as mentioned where we are getting Escape, this house had a Silver screen installed, thus the other two panels will have to have silver screens installed to keep the uniformity of the image intact.

I have to add to the comment on the sale side, that it also gives the technicians/installers something to do since digital really took their regular routine work away since no oil, gears, belts and such to deal with when they had to tend film units.

-Monte

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-12-2015 03:22 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the previous topic, everything you need to know is in there.

The projectors are installed in big black boxes hanging from the ceiling.

Barco Escape is so bad, it makes Digital IMAX look good. It's a sugar coated turd only invented to sell new projectors while grabbing an extra buck from the audience for the "privilege".

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2015 07:32 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I have to add to the comment on the sale side, that it also gives the technicians/installers something to do since digital really took their regular routine work away since no oil, gears, belts and such to deal with when they had to tend film units.
Wow. Clearly you don't know any digital technicians who have a full day-to-day workload. Oil, gears, and belts were merely replaced by fans, cooling pumps, and optics, all of which need to be maintained and need to be replaced when they fail.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-12-2015 08:26 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pictures of this system look pretty miserable, especially considering that the concept was done better in the 1920s and again in the 1950s.

Lie-max is actually a good product, albeit an overpriced and poorly marketed one. The Barco thing just looks dumb. Presumably, the left and right screens wash out the image on the center one, too. The closest thing that it reminds me of is a short (~5 minutes) film that the Basketball Hall of Fame used to have, where the audience stood in the center of a room with four screens and watched part of a basketball game that was filmed with four cameras. The intention was to give the effect of standing in the center of a basketball court during a game. The effect was sort of interesting for a five-minute film, but I would not want to see a feature-length show that way.

I am all for improving picture and sound quality, but movies have done just fine for the last hundred years without silly gimmicks like this one.

(Disclaimer: I have not seen this in person...and don't really want to, either.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-12-2015 01:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since our screen is 2:1, I tend to zoom scope movies out a bit to fill it -- I think it looks better. I can't IMAGINE how crappy it would look to have two whole other screens out to the side of the main screen. Is it true that the image on the side screens isn't there for the whole movie?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-12-2015 03:44 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never considered the reduced contrast caused by the side screens... It is so frustrating that cinema - as everything else - is going down into this abyss of gimmicks, where a 'premium seat' is more important than a properly tuned system.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-12-2015 06:20 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've experienced the system first hand last year and I did something like a review in the topic mentioned above.

The amount of light reflecting back from those side panels is absurd. It's not only a contrast catastrophe for the main image, it's utterly distracting in itself.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Is it true that the image on the side screens isn't there for the whole movie?
Last year's Maze Runner had only a few minutes worth of material for those screens. I'm not sure about the upcoming sequel, but I have zero intentions on checking up on that.

What's worse is that those scenes on the side panels don't even match up with the content on screen. The way this was implemented, they didn't expand the image, they primarily distracted you from the main movie.

It reminds me of watching those iPhone videos on TV, where they put a blurry version of the image on the sides, because black bars are considered evil...

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2015 08:25 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are talking about silver side screens at an angle that is going to be real bad. It will reflect the light on to each other and wash the images out and no light to the audience. I am referring to having to use silver side screens to match an existing center silver screen.

Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2015 03:11 PM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The side screens are what concern me, as we are going to retrofit a house. I'm wondering if the ground up auditoriums will be better able to showcase the format. I have two conversion installs over the next month so ready to see what they come up with. Anyone else have installs planned soon?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: