Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco-MI Horizon 3D sync

Author Topic: Barco-MI Horizon 3D sync
Brenard Cabiles Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2015 01:38 AM      Profile for Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Email Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this strange issue with this setup recently.
Barco + MasterImage Horizon 3D are not in correct sync. (i get only 24Hz instead of 72Hz frequency). first, I doubt on the 3D system that might have problem so I tried on other projector, but it works perfectly there!so I begin to swap each projector boards one by one to identify the fault (ICP, Controller board, even IMB and server) but doesnt fix the issue. The only idea left from me is the FW/SW version of Barco and ICP (Barco 1.6.81 and ICP 4.3.448) which are all latest release. while the rest of the successful setup were lower version than this.

Anyone has idea on what factor is causing this issue?

TIA

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-19-2015 05:22 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you play with the 3D file on the Barco? What mediablock do you have and what are the 3D settings in the 3D file?

Brenard Cabiles Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2015 05:53 AM      Profile for Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Email Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D file in playback and set both barco and doremi in 3D playback mode.
Mediablock is Doremi IMB

Settings from Barco:
-3D Sync Input Mode = Use Selected Input Port (polarity = true)
-Left (L1R1L2R2)
-6:2
3D Sync Polarity = True
Dark Time = 350
Output Delay = -100

Note:
I even play around with all 3D parameters but all of them were not correct.
I selected "Use Line ineterleave where first line = Left, Second line = Right" - I got 72Hz but the Image was cropped and stretched and not even displaying 3D on screen.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-19-2015 06:16 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a new installation? The Barco 3D file for IMB is somehow different from the one for BNC input. 3D won't work with it, just as you describe.
I copy in a matching (RealD, MI, etc) 3D file from a Barco IMB clone and suddenly 3D sync is ok.
If this is an existing system that was working OK that's not it.

Brenard Cabiles Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2015 08:34 AM      Profile for Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Email Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was an existing working system until someone do a software upgrade of the MasterImage.

there are 2 screens with this issue and these 2 screens are atmos equipped. do u guys think its related? the rest of non atmos screens were fine and perfectly running.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-19-2015 09:29 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen any problems with 3D when updating Barco or ICP firmware. The 3D sync signal is generated in the Barco Cinema Controller Board so the ICP shouldn't be an issue. I haven't used a Horizon unit.
Your updated MI unit works OK on non-updated projectors but not on the updated one (1.6.81 and ICP 4.3.448)? Did the tech have any issues in the updating - failed TI upgrade means a recovery process and reloading a factory or local full clone and a factory one might screw with your 3D files. You can load a factory SDI clone to recover the patterns - this won't change the IMB files it doesn't have but it will overwrite the 3D files with SDI versions.
I would try pulling the MI 3D file from a working projector and copying it into the problem one, assuming both are IMB systems.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-19-2015 09:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a series 2 Barco? If so, then one should be using Line Interleave by now (Changed with ICP 3.x.x).

On the Doremi, do you have it in 48fps mode?

Probably best to list all of your equipment model numbers and the versions of software/firmware currently running.

There is no set answer without knowing what you have.

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brenard Cabiles Jr.
(Barco 1.6.81 and ICP 4.3.448) which are all latest release.
These versions suggest a S-series Barco.
quote: Brenard Cabiles Jr.
Mediablock is Doremi IMB
Showvault + IMB?

/M.E.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-19-2015 01:01 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe line interleave works with the cat.745. The Doremi IMB definitely uses a different one.

Brenard Cabiles Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Email Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here are the equipment setup:

Barco DP2K-10S Version 1.6.81 ICP version 4.3.448
Doremi IMB + Showvault version 2.6.4
MasterImage Horizon 3D v1.4.3

quote: Dave Macaulay
Your updated MI unit works OK on non-updated projectors but not on the updated one (1.6.81 and ICP 4.3.448)?
- correct
Note: I did not upgrade the projector, it comes with this version from the factory.

quote: Steve Guttag
On the Doremi, do you have it in 48fps mode?
- Yes

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are trying to play back 48fps 3D it should be set to 4:2 reading should be 192 Hz. Normal frame rate 3D should be 6:2 and frequency should be 144 Hz.

Others on here know more about the Doremi IMB but to me if you are not showing 48 fps 3D should it not be turned off?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-22-2015 01:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi is funny that way...they used the 48fps checkbox for 3D long before there was a 48fps HFR 3D...I'm sure in its mind that since it is spitting out 2 frames every 24 seconds, that is 48fps (just not all for one eye).

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to the MI site and as this happened after an update to the Horizon firmware maybe some settings got reset. There are settings you can change with the web application to the unit itself. I would look there. You can get the latest manual from the MI website. Here is a link to it:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53bc43c1e4b026326f827407/t/53c562c8e4b0b121aee49b24/1405444808662/User+Manual_HORIZON3D+%26+HORIZON3D+S_v1_0_5_071414.pdf

If you are using Ethernet commands from the server it is possible that setting got changed along with IP addresses and such in the Master Image unit.

Brenard Cabiles Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2015 02:41 AM      Profile for Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Email Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

Thanks for all your comments. The issue has been sorted.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-22-2015 06:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your feedback. But how?

- Carsten [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: