Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The end of film. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: The end of film.
Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2015 06:03 AM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made the conversion to digital about a year ago and I am glad that I did. As I pretty much run the theater myself, the automation of the movie presentation and all other facets of the show (lights, curtains, sound ) have saved me untold journeys up and down the stairs. I know longer wonder if my projector will make it through a show. But I really just want to know when film will be done.

|  IP: Logged

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soon. Some of the big studios are not making any 35mm prints at all and the rest who are still printing a few, well, print counts barely get into the double digits. It's a VERY short time before the other shoe drops. Good thing you have made the jump! [puke]

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2015 09:47 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure it will. I feel like it has leveled off and will just hover.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-11-2015 11:02 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A properly installed and maintained 35mm would have given you the same peace of mind!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-11-2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is covered extensively on this thread.

The current state of play appears to be that a small quantity of 35mm prints of new, mainstream releases are still being struck for the remaining theaters that are still doing enough business to justify making prints for them, but for whatever reason have not converted to digital. In addition to this, small quantities of prints are still being made by archives and for one-off "film forever" type projects, e.g. Nolan's and Tarantino's.

To create release prints on film, you need five things.

1. The stock.
2. Printing and processing equipment.
3. Processing chemicals.
4. The manufacturers and service providers that produce 1 through 3 to remain in those businesses.
5. The knowledge and skills to produce 1 through 4.

If you really want to answer the "When will film be done?" question, the information needed to answer it includes what Kodak's plans are, what labs still exist and what their plans are, who makes the processing chemistry and what their plans are, and how reliable the supply of workers is who can do all this stuff (keep in mind that many of those who previously did it will have either retired or moved into other lines of work and not be interested in coming back).

To my knowledge, FotoKem is now the only remaining commercial lab in the US that is actively offering a full service for making 35mm and 70mm color release prints. There are one or two others that are processing camera negative rolls for subsequent scanning and digital post, one or two boutique labs (e.g. Cinema Arts and Colorlab) that may or may not still be offering release printing services, and some of the larger nonprofit archives (e.g. UCLA, NARA and the LoC) that have printing (color and b/w) and b/w only processing capability in house.

As Buck notes, it would appear that film is having a "long tail" of small print runs for the remaining mainstream theater holdouts. I'd guess that the next major change will happen when a critical mass of these theaters has either converted or gone out of business. The studios won't want to continue making prints forever (and therefore won't have undertaken to keep supplying them forever), and so the question is when the tipping point comes. When it does, the next question is if the remaining boutique business is enough to sustain FotoKem's release printing operation and Kodak's 2383 production line. If the answer is no in either case, then the end of color release printing will happen very quickly at that point.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-12-2015 10:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another market for film prints, "analog" film-out back-ups for movies that are otherwise 100% digital (shot with digital video cameras, post produced digitally and released only on DCP).

There is currently no type of digital media that is reliable enough to store digital data anywhere near as long as a good 35mm safety print.

If it hasn't happened already we will soon have cases of all-digital movies that have been lost, where the only surviving elements are consumer DVD and Blu-ray discs. A laser-recorded 35mm dupe might be a pretty good back-up.

I wonder just how much data a movie studio keeps in regard to a movie release. Any movie heavy with CGI effects and digital intermediate work will have numerous terabytes worth of data to store. Do they keep any of that after the movie is released or do they just dump it? Even if they do hold on to a lot of those work assets those assets may become "dead" after 10 or 20 years due to changes in computing platforms, operating systems, software applications that come and go and differences in how a new version of a software application opens files from projects made in previous versions years ago.

I watched Jurassic World a few days ago. One thing that bothered me was the T-Rex in the movie's climax. It looked noticeably different from the T-Rex from 22 years ago. And not in a good way either. The new T-Rex kind of looked more goofy than scary; it's eyes were more beady looking. It just wasn't modeled very well. Why couldn't they pull up the T-Rex models, texture maps, etc. from 1993 and use that? That was more awesome looking. The obvious answer is they probably didn't have any of that data anymore. And even if they did, it was based on dead/old software that ran on a dead UNIX operating system.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-12-2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most obvious answer is: THEY liked the new T-Rex better than the old one.

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-12-2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
There is another market for film prints, "analog" film-out back-ups for movies that are otherwise 100% digital (shot with digital video cameras, post produced digitally and released only on DCP).
That's a market for fine grain originating or intermediate stock, not release print stock. The emulsion on release print stock is a lot thicker than that on pre-print stock, plus there's no color mask, both of which cause image information loss in scanning. Sure, a release print can be scanned or photochemically duplicated, and if a release print is all that an archivist has, it'll be used as the source material for a restoration. But it's not what you'd archive from the start, given something better.

It's a been a while since I've really had my finger on the pulse of the archive world, but the last I did, most of the studios and big nonprofit archives were trying to preserve digital original and intermediate files, but were not putting much faith in their ability to do so long term. For a high profile feature film restoration with a decent budget, a filmout master negative or IP, and possibly even seps, would be made as well as the DCDM for long-term preservation.

The emulsion formulation and the processing chemistry are significantly different for release print stock to the ones used in original and intermediate stock, and so even if the studios and archives can continue to provide enough of a viable market to keep the latter in production, that doesn't necessary mean that release printing will remain viable, especially color release printing. I'd hazard a guess that the chemistry involved in b/w is so cheap and simple that even if Kodak pulls out of that market, as long as they can continue to sell the uncoated raw stock to a third-party manufacturer that puts the emulsion on it and sells the processing chemistry, it would be viable to carry this on as a boutique operation.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2015 11:37 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both DELUXE AND TECHNICOLOR were constantly being hounded by OSHA and EPA concerning Hazardous Chemical Disposal in their Labs. The only reason their Processing Labs had lasted is because of their longevity in the Industry too begin with; so they were cut some slack concerning hazardous Chemicals. No one in there right mind especially in California would want to Venture in a Film Processing Lab today as they would be monitored / hassled twice as much as Deluxe and Tech ever were. EPA gets worse every year; they want to ban everything from lawn fertilizers to any commercial chemical that they deem potentially hazardous to the environment. I'm surprised they haven't tried to get Coke and Pepsi banned. If stricter EPA requirements keep coming down on existing processing Labs,they will eventually Fold and throw in the towel and Film will really be Dead [puke]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-14-2015 10:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And again, that's probably more an issue for color than b/w. Really, the gnarliest chemical used in b/w processing is bleach, and given that I can buy that to my heart's content at Stater Bros. and it's poured down drains in huge quantities, intentionally as a disinfectant, I'd like to see the EPA start to meow and hiss about it.

Color processing, however, really does use 1,1,1,trichloro-ethyl-dichloro-methyl-badshit (and, IIRC, mercury in at least one of the couplers) - in the consumer market, Kodak even discontinued the E-4 process and replaced it with E-6 because the processing chemistry was so darn poisonous.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2015 01:23 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been said that one reason magnetic striping of film for sound was because some compound in the adhesive was banned by the EPA.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2015 02:17 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
And again, that's probably more an issue for color than b/w.
Noises have been made about Hydroquinone in recent years, though it never seemed terribly harmful to me. It used to be used in some skin-lightening creams appearently, which doesn't seem like a very good idea. Silver compounds tend to be toxic, but most of that would be recovered in commercial processing.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-14-2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As I pretty much run the theater myself, the automation of the movie presentation and all other facets of the show (lights, curtains, sound ) have saved me untold journeys up and down the stairs. I no longer wonder if my projector will make it through a show.
I have to shake my head on this comment since I know that if a booth was correctly and properly maintained with religious maintenance that this comment would have never have been mentioned.

I can easily testify, that if a film booth was taken care of, it can run plenty of circles around digital operation, in which this owner here, it seems, hasn't experienced the horrors of what digital equipment can do when it goes bad, along with the cost involved, which film was pennies compared to what he has to face with digital.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2015 05:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's not talking about maintenance. He's talking about daily operations.

While we do have to go upstairs to turn on the lights and such, I sometimes go several weeks without physically touching my projector setup other than to put hard drives into the server. If my theater was being built today we probably would put a lot of that stuff into the office so we wouldn't really need to go upstairs much at all, except to change filters and bulbs.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-14-2015 07:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Mike were to build another theatre, wonder if he'll do this this way with no booth.

Bottom comes down, being the platform for the projector. Server and amps in a closet in the hallway.

-Monte

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: