Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony Caption glasses and GDC SX-2000 Server setup

Author Topic: Sony Caption glasses and GDC SX-2000 Server setup
Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have experience getting the Sony STWA-C101 captioning glasses system working on a GDC SX-2000 server? The captioning options page on the GDC server is just two check boxes one for "rear window" captions and one for "USL Caption system". I've tried enabling both with no luck, and I tried the instructions on the USL website that work for their system but that also didn't work. I've set-up the transmitter on our automation network with a static IP on the same subnet as the server and put the server's IP into the glasses transmitter set-up page. Our contact at Sony has never installed on a GDC system and since we are out of warranty with GDC they refuse to help us. This is a demo unit we are trying to evaluate for purchase. Was hoping someone here has been through this already.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2015 09:23 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony uses the same protocol as USL (the SMPTE Auxiliary Content Synchronization Protocol). It SHOULD work! In my work with GDC, I think GDC did a good job implementing the protocols for captioning. The Sony captioning transmitter does not give you much debug information. You might see if you can telnet to the GDC server on port 4170. If the connection is refused, there may be a problem in a managed switch, or the GDC may not be accepting the connection for some reason. I seem to remember that after checking the USL caption box (really SMPTE), you have to reboot the SMS for it to read that checkbox and enable SMPTE captioning. Note also that GDC did an update earlier this year to fix a problem where they were telling the caption system to disconnect when they should not have.

If this is a demo from Sony, perhaps they can offer support. Otherwise, time to get out WireShark.

Good luck!

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2015 05:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the GDC server.. 8.01 build 200 or 9.00 build 347 should be used for captions with higher reliability.

Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2015 10:08 AM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was apparently using a set of glasses that were setup to repeat a message over and over(I thought it was weird to have all the text keep going when it wasn't actually connected to anything). Used a different receiver and it is working fine, Thanks for the replies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: