Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Multi Region Bluray player (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Multi Region Bluray player
Michael Sharples
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2015 07:59 AM      Profile for Michael Sharples   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Sharples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good quality multi region bluray player.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2015 09:15 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in NZ the Oppo's are available with an optional hardware mod that lets you select the region via a sequence of buttons on the remote.
You can turn off the OSD on them now, and the second HDMI out is useful for cueing things up with the douser closed on the PJ...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-05-2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The modified Oppo is the only multi-region BR player that I have seen (it works fine). Are there others?

For the last couple of years (at least), the Oppos have been the only BR players worth buying for cinema use. And I say this as one who believes very strongly that, outside of the occasional rental, BR (and other consumer formats) has no place in cinema exhibition.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does the Oppo do on audio decoding? Will it decode out to 8 channels of PCM on HDMI?

Harold

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-05-2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure. Most places just use the 6-channel analog output into the cinema processor's external 6-channel input.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-05-2015 11:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oppo has everything. 8-channels of analog (or mix-down to what you have), PCM on HDMI or leaves the decoding up to your A/V receiver (your choice), Coax/Toslink can have either PCM or bitstream, your choice.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-05-2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I looked into this, the Oppo machines cost $500-800 depending on options.

The last time I was over in England visiting relatives, I bought a couple of £50 region 2/B Samsung players (one of each of our theaters) and took them back with me. Should we ever need to play a region C disc I'll probably make a region-free copy using DVDFab. It hasn't happened yet, and unless we do something like a month long festival of Australian movies, all of them on BD, we're never likely to show enough of them for the time and blank media cost of doing this to become a problem.

The British Samsungs get quite intensive use, not so much because of region B BDs, but because our region 1/A Panasonics will not play PAL DVDs. Yes, I know that showing 576i DVDs on a theater screen is, as a character in a Tarantino movie might put it, "pretty f***ing far from ideal," but the programmers do ask us to regularly.

I'm not sure if the shipping cost involved in ordering a player from amazon.co.uk (or anyone else, for that matter) would be high enough that buying an Oppo here would be worth it, but if you are going, or know anyone, going over for a visit to Europe and/or Asia, this would be a relatively low-cost way of getting hold of region B and C players.

Michael Sharples
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Michael Sharples   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Sharples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that BR and DVD are not cinema formats but you'd be supprised (or maybe not) how many times distributors send them to us for screening, we even someimes have to buy our own and pay them to show it!! And the film festival we do use them a fair bit as well.

The Oppo does look like a nice piece of kit, if expensive. As a single screen art house cinema budgets can be a bit....tight. I'll run it past the person with the purse strings but we may be looking to spend a bit less.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-05-2015 01:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, BDs are a regular fixture at festivals, especially the second-tier ones that have a lot of "kid with a Mac" first-time entrants. The drawbacks of using a consumer format for professional presentation simply aren't on their radar: audio channels that won't play, decode and/or route properly, pixel aspect ratios that end up wrong unless player, scaler and/or projector default settings are overridden, fingerprints on discs causing them to glitch and stutter, subtitles that don't appear unless you wade through multiple menus (sometimes in a foreign language) to enable them, menus with sound making it difficult to present the show without any menu content playing to the house, 1-2 minute pauses between movies in shows consisting of multiple shorts shown from multiple discs (the wait while they boot and then the FBI death threat appears for 20 seconds), etc. etc. Most of those can be worked around when testing the disc before the show, but someone who hasn't worked a booth tends not to understand, and in some cases not even accept, that it's not as simple as inserting the disc and pressing play, like it is in their living room.

I've suggested to the director of one of our festivals that comes back every year that for next year's event, he accepts DCPs as the only allowable digital format. There are now several free packages that make them (plus a basic but functional plugin built into Adobe CC), and using them should not be any problem to anyone who can work out how to author and burn a BD. I suspect it's only a matter of time before the better run fests start to take this line, but that still leaves art/rep venues that do seasons of, say, French gangster films or Soviet musicals having to show the odd one on a consumer-published DVD or BD in cases where neither a print nor a DCP is available. Annoying as they are, I fear that optical discs will be a regular annoyance in the booth for some time yet.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-05-2015 05:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...once you use an Oppo...you'll never want to use anything else. Right down to the adjustable subtitle position and the ability to nix the on-screen menus. Good things generally do cost more. We don't sell them for being region free...we are Oppo dealers and cannot sell them as anything other than region 1/A. Now there are various "kits" out there that can convert them into multi-region. There is a disc that will turn it into region-0 but the BD part does require a degree of hardware to overcome.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2015 08:27 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my Sherman BDP-5004, but if you hook it to the internet it disables the region free setting.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2015 03:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did think of trying to get a better player, somebody seems to have bought the cheapest one they could find which doesn't even have an audio output, but Blu-Ray is pretty much dead now; the last one we ran was over six months ago. We recently had a private hire by somebody to run 'Leave To Remain'; they were offered DCP and Blu-Ray, we took the Blu-Ray as a backup, but didn't need to use it. We ran about six films from Blu-Ray in the early days, mainly for films where the distributor wouldn't talk to us unless we put up a large bond, so we used Blu-Ray with a Filmbank licence. These days I think all distributors are talking to us, and supplying DCPs. As far as I am concerned, Blu-Ray is a pain, partly because of the audio problems, and partly because of HDCP.

While Blu-Ray is almost dead, DVD is increasing. We have only ever shown two of our own films in this format, and oddly enough they were consecutive ones, however, a lot of organisations hire the cinema from the council, and many of these use DVD. This includes the local police who are screening a series on policing London which is showing on the BBC at the moment, they screen each episode a day or two after it is transmitted, with audience discussion afterwards. The discs come from the BBC, but seem to have been produced by somebody else, and the quality is poor, the countdown clock on the beginning looks like VHS quality, and the programme itself is not much better. Most of the DVDs which we show now are from various film-making groups screening their own work, this has recently included two local primary schools and a group for young people with learning difficulties. The DVD player is old, but good quality, a Marantz DV4610, and the picture quality is as good as you could reasonably expect from SD video. It has the ability to select bitstream or PCM output separately for each sound format, so we set to to output PCM from MPEG layer 2 tracks. We do still get these on discs produced with some of the cheaper software packages. Of course this is limited to two channels, but I've only ever seen two discs with MPEG multi-channel audio, and they were very early ones.

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2015 07:43 AM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We Have a Sony multi region player which works great. The only problem we have it that it does not have a display on the front of the unit. So you are not sure how much time you have on each film playing.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2015 09:03 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The drawbacks of using a consumer format for professional presentation simply aren't on their radar: - - etc, etc
Oh, geeze, Leo- - after the last 'amateur' festival I got stuck doing, I was
ready to write an entire book of how NOT do do a 'film' festival, and most of
my griping had to do with home-made blu-rays & dvds.

One of my pet peeves is people who don't understand that just because you've
dumped a video file to a disk that says DVD or BluRay on it- - that DOES NOT
AUTOMATICALLY MAKE IT A DVD or BLU-RAY.

One festival producer said he was going to 'save me a lot of work' by editing
all the shorts programs onto blu-ray disks. And he did. But to save money
he used LTH (instead of HTL) type disks which woudln't play in any of the
blu-ray players I had available at the venue. I didn't even know you could
still buy LTH type disks. But apparently you can if you are cheap enough.

(I'm not even sure an OPPO will playback LTH type disks)

The last event I did which had a lot of blu-ray & dvd content, I just dumped
all the content into an extra MacBook Pro I had sitting at home and then
ran the shows with "Playback Pro", which enabled me to make some basic
corrections to aspect ratios, plus video & audio levels on a clip basis, and
even allows me to program which clips run consecutively and which clips
need pauses between them for intros or Q&A's.

It took a little extra work on my part, but it saved a lot of 'head banging'
during the actual shows.

I think I spent around $400 initially on the Playback Pro program, but
I later upgraded it to a $600 version that has a few more bells & whistles.

IMO it was worth every penny.

Fortunately, at most of the venues I get stuck doing 'amateur' events at,
I also have an OPPO available, and those are definitely worth the money too.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2015 09:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oppo 103 - about £600. Oppo 105 - just over £1,000 That's about $1,500; it ought to be good at that price.

I've had several problems with 'home made' Blu-Rays, more so than with DVDs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: