Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » dss100 motherboard interchangeable? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: dss100 motherboard interchangeable?
Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2015 12:06 PM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Super X6DVA-EG motherboards in a dss100 interchangeable with off the shelf motherboards with the same letters,numbers? Or are they dolby specific?

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2015 10:12 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not the number I have for the DSS-100 I have it as Super X7DVL-E. I have successfully replaced one with off the shelf boards. You should install the the custom BIOS from Dolby. You should be able to get it from Dolby tech support. If not contact me privately.

One thing to be aware of is that you will most likely need to adjust the boot parameters in the stock BIOS so it can boot on the CD rom. You can also make it boot from the IDE flash drive and it will boot normal. Not sure if all the components will work without the custom BIOS. The first time you boot after the BIOS upgrade you will get a BIOS checksum error. That is normal the first time only.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 05:55 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some with the x7dvl-e board also. On one of those that was doing strange things, I bought a bios chip from eBay and put in it and it booted fine and has been working normally every since. It appears that they used both boards, I assume that they interchange.I also have a dss200 with motherboard issues, may have to try an ebay board in it also.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 12:34 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DsS-200s use an X7 motherboard in the early ones. They are the ones that have only two Ethernet ports on the motherboard and two on an add in card. I have also got stock boards for these and the Dolby custom BIOS. It is different than the X7 DSS-100. It is a different model X7 board than the one used in the DSS-100. As I remember the stock BIOS did not recognize the CRU drive bay. But it is possible that with some tweaking it would. When I installed the custom BIOS all worked normal without any adjustments. I did have to adjust the boot parameters to get it to boot off a CDROM to install the custom BIOS.

The DSS-200 board with 4 Ethernet ports on the motherboard is a X8 board.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK thanks, I'll pull the top and see which one it is.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 03:02 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell from the back. 4 together, 2 on top of the other 2 is the x8. X7 just has 2 along with monitor connection and rear USB and such. The other two are away one on top of the other in a card slot.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The model of the X7 board for the DSS-200 is Supermicro MBDX7DCL-I. The X8 board should still be availble from Dolby.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-03-2015 05:10 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the DSS-100 doesn't have a "Dolby specific" BIOS like the DSS-200 mainboards (at least the earlier ones do, I'm not sure about the X8 versions)?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2015 07:45 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The X7 motherboards in the DSS-100 do have a custom BIOS. The X7 motherboards in the DSS-200 do as well. It is not the same BIOS though as it is different version of the motherboard. I am not familiar with the X6 motherboard. When I asked Dolby about what motherboard was used in the DSS-100 they only mentioned the X7. The X8 motherboard used in the DSS-200 I am sure has a custom BIOS as well. Again different than the others.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2015 05:04 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan, I'm running generic bios in a dss100 that was freezing up mid show. Corrected the problem. Not dolby specific. S7 board.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2015 01:11 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually freezing on the DSS servers has to do either with a communication issue between the player or media block and the store. Ethernet cable between is often a prime suspect. The other thing is hard drives. If you have one that has a lot of reallocated sectors it can cause that as well as other. When the drive tries to move data around to good sectors it can drop the RAID performance.

It is possible in your case that the BIOS change fixed an issue with the Ethernet port. I would still check the hard drives on the system page.

The Dolby log analyzer now works for the DSS series including the 100. http://loganalyzer.dolbycustomer.com/ You can see if it logged any communication issues.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bios change seemed to have corrected several issues. This show store went to dolby about a year and a half ago for repair because Iit wouldn't boot up. We got it back with a list of what they had repaired and sat it on a shelf. When it was needed about 6 months ago it froze in its fist show, with a reboot it ran 2 or 3 shows then locked up again. I changed hard drives and reloaded software,problem persisted. Then the monitor went dark, I changed the memory and monitor came back. Still had the occasional freezing, changed the raid card still no effect. Went shopping for a motherboard and found replacement bios, I figured what could it hurt. So far it has run two weeks flawlessly. Now I have a dss200 with a constant beep and it thinks that it has a bad power supply, it doesn't, I've been told that I need a motherboard in it. Haven't checked to see if it has a 7 or 8 yet.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-05-2018 06:49 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1035 days since the last post.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-05-2018 06:49 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
That is not the number I have for the DSS-100 I have it as Super X7DVL-E.
The Supermicro X7DVL-E is a Dual-Xeon CPU mainboard. Are you sure this is the right one for a DSS100?

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-05-2018 12:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry says it's time to throw them in the dumpster and buy a new server.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: