Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Movie standees, end caps, display cases

Author Topic: Movie standees, end caps, display cases
Yesa Yu
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2015 11:04 AM      Profile for Yesa Yu   Email Yesa Yu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, looking for insight on how display cases, full size standees, end caps are shipped to movie theatres and what are some reliable installers, merchandisers that can install them. New to this industry thus would love your insight, advice, expertise. What shipping companies to use, avoid, consider. What merchandisers are known for quality installations. Please see image below for a sample standee that Im referring to. Thank you in advance!
 -

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2015 02:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess there are people who go around putting those things together but I think the majority of movie theaters in this country use their staff to do it during off-times.

As for shipping, the studios usually ship these things out to the chains automatically (I think) and indies have to take the leftovers. In general, the bigger you are, the more stuff you can get. You can contact the exhibitor relations departments at the studios to get shipments. Exception to that rule, sort-of, are Fox and Sony which allow any exhibitor in good standing to order standees off their websites. (foxintheatre.com for Fox, or sonypicturesreleasing.com for Sony). Even there, if the chains snap up all the stock, you're out of luck. None of the studios charge for shipping of standees in my experience.

Your mileage will vary greatly. We are a small outfit, so we haven't ever had a standee from Disney, Universal, Paramount, Lionsgate or Warners, but we occasionally get one from Fox or Sony. The biggest issue we have is size -- our lobby is small and has a low ceiling so we occasionally have to skip putting one up due to space limits.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-30-2015 03:04 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked as "floor staff" in a cinema years ago, it was our duty to construct and deconstruct them. The amount of stuff you got varied greatly between releases. Sometimes just some dull movie posters, but sometimes also those bigger than life cardboard standees or I even remember getting T-shirts for the staff... Like Mike already mentioned, it depends on how big you are and how much money they spend on marketing. Those large standees are actually quite expensive to produce.

In some way I miss putting those together, those newer ones look like elaborate, complex LEGO puzzles. [Wink]

Yesa Yu
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Yesa Yu   Email Yesa Yu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for the input gentlemen. I didn't realize that this is how the cookie crumbles with promotional material.

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 05:51 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What always amuses me is most of these POP displays have clear assembly instructions printed on the back which more often than not are summarily ignored.

My favorite was one elaborate stand up that had a clever system of inserting cut-out tabs into slots, but instead the people who had assembled it bent and forced things into a sad approximation and forced the pieces into place with what looked like about three rolls of cellophane tape (small office rolls, not even packing tape.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2015 03:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a scrupulous "direction follower" but quite often things don't fit properly, or they don't hold together the first time the thing gets jostled, so a roll of cellophane tape is definitely a good thing to have in the toolbox.

I hate the current "thing" now of instruction sheets that have crude drawings with arrows but no words. I like "insert Tab A into Slot B" type instructions a lot better, but they're getting less and less common on everything.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The effort is to eliminate words and make everything "visual". The cost of translated and multi-language instructions is very high.

The visual artists can make everything clear without language barriers. In a multi-lingual world, pictures are worth their weight in Gold.

Of course there is always the you-tube video instruction where they can actually chow you where tab A is inserted into slot B.
Today it is how can you use the computer or other digital systems to get information. Reading is for librarians.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spend more time reading/deciphering the directions than putting the thing together. I am the resident standee builder because I can do it perfectly. And I tend not to destroy the things in frustration like everyone else I work with does. The key is to follow the directions to a tee, which includes realizing and identifying the two pieces that LOOK identical but have ever so slightly different slot spacing, etc. I never have to use tape, it always goes together correctly.

Yesa Yu
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Yesa Yu   Email Yesa Yu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who normally delivers standees? What freight companies?
Can theatre choose shipping company or is it always the studio that's in charge of it?

Whom should I reach out to in the studio in order to inquire about standees? Marketing managers? Or do they have special titles?

When do they normally deliver standees? Night time, early morning? Or whenever they feel like it and you just have to fit their schedule?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-06-2015 12:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the studios don't charge for them, it's their choice of shipping. Ours always arrive by UPS or Fed Ex, although if you were a big multiplex and receiving a whole bunch of them, I could see where they might be delivered by a freight company.

As for who to talk to - what you want is the "Exhibitor Relations" department at each studio. Websites I know of are:

www.foxintheatre.com - FOX
www.exhibitorrelations.com - UNIVERSAL
www.sonypicturesreleasing.com - SONY
www.paramountprogress.com - PARAMOUNT

There are probably others, hopefully people in the know will chime in.

Note: Since these things have a way of changing with the wind, keep in mind that the information in this thread might eventually be outdated. Fox and Sony have both changed their website URLs at least once.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Kucharski
What always amuses me is most of these POP displays have clear assembly instructions printed on the back which more often than not are summarily ignored.
Yes, when I used to write software user manuals, my cover page would always display in a very large font: "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS"

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-21-2015 04:17 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
The effort is to eliminate words and make everything "visual". The cost of translated and multi-language instructions is very high.

The visual artists can make everything clear without language barriers. In a multi-lingual world, pictures are worth their weight in Gold.

Many of those "instructions" are nothing more than some tweaked, auto-generated exploded AutoCAD view, not comparable to the mostly well designed, multi-step, multi-page instructions you get with e.g. a LEGO or IKEA kit. It's often hard enough to just identify the correct parts in many of those instructions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: