Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Moving color wheel from DP-3000 to 32B (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Moving color wheel from DP-3000 to 32B
Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2015 02:12 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the mounting brackets the same on a DP-3000 and a 32B for a Dolby color wheel? i want to move my 3D into my 32B. Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2015 02:24 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they are totally different [Frown]

/M.E.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2015 03:04 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just the bracket or the entire assembly?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-30-2015 03:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, the DP3000 used the Dolby supplied colorwheel/bracket assembly. The DPxK-32B uses Barco's colorwheel assembly that mounts directly to the integration rod assembly and also forms the water cooled heat sink for it.

There would be no place to mount the Dolby style bracket in the DPxK-32B

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2015 05:03 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve has it, there is no commercially available bracket for the large Dolby 3D wheel for any of the current Barco projectors. It's the Barco/Dolby combination unit or nothing.

That's not to say you couldn't design and manufacture something to use that older wheel. It just doesn't exist as a product.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-30-2015 08:28 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Malco Theatres made brackets to fit Christie wheels and DFC controllers into Barco projectors. B series I believe.

The reason is they wanted to do dedicated, left eye and right eye projectors.

Barco does not sell Left eye or Right eye wheels so it was the only way.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-01-2015 03:15 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact I saw those brackets on a dual projector setup

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-01-2015 03:36 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco/Dolby approved dual projector 3D setup uses "single-color" wheels that are still turning. As I understood it, it's to limit the burn-in on the color filter.

I'm wondering how this works in such a "hack job", where you keep the disc fixed. Aren't those discs wearing out pretty soon?

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does anyone have a colorwheel for a 32b?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-02-2015 04:59 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you asked your local Barco distributor/integrator? The 32B is still a recent machine and those parts should be available from Barco. Especially if your machine is still under warranty or extended service contract, I'd ask your integrator first.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 06:31 PM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol if only it was that easy to get Barco parts. I think I'm going to put in a Christie and be done with it. Much easier to deal with and get parts for. Worst mistake I ever made was converting from Christie to Barco to begin with, I do regret it daily.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-02-2015 08:28 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the exact opposite opinion.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2015 09:10 PM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie has always gone over and beyond what I would expect and way fewer breakdowns, barco, not so much.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-03-2015 10:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had zero problems getting parts for Barco and they have not needed many. Barco maintains a 24/7 support and nearly that for parts supply. If you are willing to pay for same-day freight, they'll get it to you. If you are under warranty (original or extended), parts ship standard-overnight, freight included. Christie tends to close up shop Friday evening and doesn't open until Monday...unless you are on their NOC, it would seem.

So what are all of these breakdowns you are having with the Barco? I have no DP3000s that I've ever serviced so I can't comment on their reliability. The DP100 (its predecessor) definitely has had a mixed bag of reliability and thankfully the last one is out of our service, its predecessor, the DP50 we serviced for 11-years with near zero problems. The DP2000s have been relatively problem free (a couple of bad power supplies and I think one cinema controller).

Now you'll get no argument from me about the old Christie CP2000 being a tank. I've had something like one LVPS go flaky and maybe an environment board. But the other series 1 Christie's are problematic. The LVPS for the ZX and M will die...sooner or later. The PCM modules are also a point of failure for them.

But for series 2s...I'd give Barco the edge but both are pretty reliable. Barco is BY FAR the easiest to service though.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-03-2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Murray
Lol if only it was that easy to get Barco parts. I think I'm going to put in a Christie and be done with it. Much easier to deal with and get parts for. Worst mistake I ever made was converting from Christie to Barco to begin with, I do regret it daily.
I can't speak for your location, maybe Barco's service just plainly sucks over there, although Steve doesn't seem to have any problems. My experience is more like Steve's. As long as a projector isn't EoL*, it's usually no problem to get parts for it. They might not be cheap and if you need them pronto, the shipping costs also adds to it, but they are generally available and usually ship within a few days.

It seems to me you had a string of bad luck with your Barco projectors, but if part availability is a problem, I suppose it's more to blame on your supplier or integrator than on Barco itself.

Also, for equipment on Priority Care, they usually provide replacement hardware either the same or at least the next day. You also can call them 24/7. At least that's what they offer over here. It's expensive, but it works.

As for this particular case, I'm certain if you call Barco and ask for the appropriate color wheel for your 32B, they will come up with a part number and a bunch of distributors that can provide it for you, if yours cannot.

* I once bought a spare part for a CRT projector that was about 10 years EoL directly from them, so even if it's EoL, it doesn't automatically mean they don't want to help you, although in this case, I was just plain lucky.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: