Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » New Barco UHP S2k projector for smallest screens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Barco UHP S2k projector for smallest screens
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-23-2015 07:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Solutions/Projectors/Digital-cinema-projectors/Compa ct-DLP-Barco-Alchemy-Cinema-projector-for-screens-up-to-75m-24ft-wide.aspx

Twin 465W UHP lamps and Alchemy IMS. Also seems to be a very light and quiet machine. Maybe a better buy now than NECs NC900C.

Wow, seems Barco suddenly lost their disgust for UHP lamps. As long as only their competitors used them, they were never good enough for digital cinema.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 02:21 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to that. I'd be nice to have the usual Barco features on a UHP machine. Hopefully they have found a way to make the light level and colours stable over time?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only downside is 200-250VAC. The NEC can plug in to a normal outlet I think?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-24-2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually prefer a projector run on 220 volts, so that isn't really detrimental. The NEC can run on 120 or 220 and I have them set up both ways. 120 volts at full lamp power the thing draws a little over ten amps. ON 220 volts it's 5.8 amnps. I normally use a 220 volt UPS which gives a longer run time because the equipment is drawing half the power.

The real down side to this Barco is you are stuck with the Barco IMS. I guess they had to come up with a way to sell those!

quote: Marco Giustini
Hopefully they have found a way to make the light level and colours stable over time?
I haven't seen any big issues with the NEC's in that regard. They actually hold the light level amazingly well. As for color space... on all these projectors you are changing out the reflector, so that spec is going to vary. I recently had a University that wanted an NC-900 and I told them to also buy a color space meter as well. Also, the lamp failure issue is fixed and there are no more of the original style lamp in anyone's stock.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 04:19 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
They actually hold the light level amazingly well
I disagree. Massively.
There is no 'feedback' on the 900 and the light level drops noticeably after a while - as expected. Colours are very stable though.

Also, what is a "colour space meter"?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 04:43 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For rentals it's a big plus to be able to use a 120V supply here.

... Presumably that's a color measuring tool to recalibrate the MCGD after a lamp (and reflector) change. I believe that the USL PCA-100 is a special type designed for xenon light sources and should not be relied on for laser or UHP/HID light sources.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2015 04:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea on how it compares price wise to the NEC? I'm in the process of designing my new house and want to have a D-cinema projector in the purpose built cinema wing and my screen will be in the 16-18 foot wide range, so one of these baby projectors would be perfect.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 05:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, this machine has a rated contrast of 1500:1, the 8S is rated 1850:1.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, less light and no xenon lamp to light it goves less contrast probably. Also, 4800lumens in DCI mode is not so great for 7m wide screen, even with 1.2 gain as in specs.

But if we sacrifice some light, it would be great entry for art houses where price cutting is on first place, and still to have dci capable machine.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 07:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought Barco would at this stage (post-rollout) come up with another machine smaller than the 8Sx. That one is already a software-limited version of the 10Sx. That UHP Barco needs to be considerably cheaper than the 8Sx. I expect it to be in the price range of the NEC NC900C. I don't consider the Alchemy IMS a bad option. This is Barcos future flagship IMS and will certainly be a solid solution, they are constantly improving it. By any means, better than the IMS1000.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-25-2015 02:03 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brightness and contrast ratio shouldn't be related. II guess they sacrificed a little contrast for some more light.

Anything is better than the IMS1000.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-25-2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything? How about the IMB S2?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2015 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave McCauley,

The NC-900 is filtered before the light engine to approximate a xenon light source. The USL meter works fine for the NC-900, like all projectors you are still shooting for .314/.351, at least I hope you are. Now, if you pull that filter out of the path the USL meter goes out of range. Far as I know all projectors running UHP lamps have the filter in the light path.

How is a 220 volt projector detrimental to rental? You have a special cord that plugs into two 120 volt outlets on two separate circuits. I do that all the time. I just thought I should state the obvious.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The real down side to this Barco is you are stuck with the Barco IMS. I guess they had to come up with a way to sell those!
I guess it was bound to happen sometime...Mark and I actually agree on something. Being FORCED to use a particular IMS-type-thing on ANY projector is ridiculous. The projector manufacturers need to stick with making projectors and let the server manufacturers stick with making playback devices. All projectors should be able to use any IMS/server of the client's choosing.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-25-2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the pictures, the Alchemy is slotted in the Barco, so for now it doesn't look like there is no alternative IMB/IMS for the Barco.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: