Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DMD Frequency?

Author Topic: DMD Frequency?
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2015 07:26 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the pulse frequency on DMD mirrors for cinema projectors? I'm only finding the info for home single chip projectors.

Thanks!

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know but would guess that it is the same. Don't some of the single chip home projectors use a six color wheel which requires 180 fps minimum frame rate to support 720P?

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2015 08:46 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the TI website, it's "up to 10,000 times per second". On their website there is a section with FAQs ( TI website ) about DLP technology: what is it, and how does it work. There they say (without too many specifics):
quote:
How does DLP technology work?

Q: DLP technology is based on the DLP chip which is comprised of a standard memory cell on top of which is mounted a rectangular array of up to a million hinged, microscopic mirrors.

In a DLP projection system, red, green, and blue light is shone alternately onto the mirrors, which switch on and off in response to a video or graphics signal being fed into the underlying memory chip. The mirrors can switch at a rate of up to 10,000 times per second; the light they reflect is directed through a lens and onto the screen, creating an image.

In projectors for high brightness applications, three DLP chips are used—one each for green, red, and blue. Light from the lamp is split by a prism into these three colors and directed towards the appropriate DLP chip. The image is then created by recombining these reflections from the corresponding pixel on each DLP chip.

Q: What is the difference between DLP technology and DLP Cinema® technology?

DLP Cinema technology is derived from DLP technology, using the same Digital Micromirror Device semiconductor. While the typical DLP subsystem uses one chip, a DLP Cinema projection system uses three to deliver images of incredible clarity and a range of up to 35 trillion colors.

Both DLP Cinema and DLP technology are digitally precise; both can reproduce fast-moving images because of their rapid pixel-switching capabilities; and both use reflected light to deliver stunningly clear and sharp images.

The differences between the two technologies lie primarily in the way they are optimized. DLP Cinema technology is designed to deliver images that exceed the picture quality of 35mm film and meet the DCI specifications for security. DLP technology, used in projectors also delivers outstanding video and graphic images for home entertainment and business presentations exceeding typical image quality created by other technologies.

They are a little vague as to whether the flashing rate varies between single-chip and three-chip devices.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2015 09:02 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for finding that info. With 12 bit color, 24 frames per second, and double flash, we might have the mirror active for (1/4096)*(1/24)*(1/2) seconds (one bit above black) or 5us. If we invert that, we get a frequency of about 200kHz. I wonder what the transition time of a mirror is from one state to the other. At higher frame rates, timing gets even tighter.

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-17-2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, lower brightness is usually achieved through dithering.

Shouldn't be too complicated to use a photo-diode and an oscilloscope to get some idea about the pulse times.

There had been papers from TI on timing, I may have a hard time to find them...the only one I just digged up is on optical system design. It has SOME introductory passages on angle paths, etc., but no specific information on timing.

The question is also - are you interested in the DLPs themselves, or their 'system capabilities', that is, including existing control circuit (formatter boards, etc.), because right now the formatter boards are the limiting factor.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2015 07:19 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! I gave a talk yesterday to a non-technical group on cinema technology, so I was looking for a number on how fast the mirror flips. The need to know has now past, but it would still be interesting.

Thanks!

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: