Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » current preferred server (6/2015) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: current preferred server (6/2015)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-12-2015 09:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what is everyone's preferred server now that the DSS200 is NLA?

The GDC has the fatal flaw of the non-redundant boot disk. The Doremi has a 3-drive RAID array implemented in software for everything, including the OS. I have not worked with the Sony system. What else is left?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-12-2015 11:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem...the DSS line isn't NLA yet...it is still available until the end of the month (just ordered some last week).

Doremi on their 2K4 and Show Vault CAN have a 4 drive RAID though still software implemented. Doremi dabbled in a hardware RAID on the IMS1000...it has had such issues that on the IMS2000, they went back to a software RAID.

I don't know anyone that is putting in the traditional GDC server (SX2000AR) anymore and any paranoid person about the OS drive can have a clone drive at the ready...what does a HDD cost nowadays? I believe the SX3000 (Which is what they sell most of now) is solid state on the OS and external RAID drive for content. They just upped their external RAID options too with an "Enterprise" storage unit which can be used with the SX3000 or as the Library system for an LMS.

There is USL's IMS that uses 4 SSD in a RAID too.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2015 11:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC server...non-redundant OS and 3 drive software raid via standard 3.5" drives.

GDC IMS thing...I believe this is an actual hardware raid, but again only 3 drives and they are "laptop" drives, so that means even more expensive to replace.

Doremi DCP2K4/ShowVault...you can put 4 normal 3.5" drives in this model, but it's still a software raid. The OS is held on an SSD chip, but those chips have failed.

Doremi DCP2000...3 drive software raid. OS via SSD chip as above.

Doremi IMS 1000...3 drive hardware raid, but they chose the wrong raid controller and basically every one fails. "Laptop" drives too.

Doremi IMS 2000...back to the 3 drive software raid nonsense with "laptop" drives.

USL IMS thing..."laptop" drives. The good news is that there are 4, but the bad news is they are solid state. I've major concerns for the use of a solid state raid array. I don't recall if it is software raid or a true hardware raid.

Christie IMS...external NAS. Continual failures.

Sony...I'm not even going to go here.

Where does that leave us?
3 drive raid = dealbreaker
Software raid = not making me happy
Laptop size 2.5" drives = no thanks

I would hesitate to say "preferred" server, as that seems to imply ideal. So let's go with "least sucky" and say the DCP2K4/ShowVault.

Second option, although I haven't had a chance to test it yet, would be USL with non-SSD drives loaded.

Third option forces us to a 3 drive raid since that's all that is left, so the GDC IMS thing is the least painful of those options.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-12-2015 11:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

On the GDC SX3000, you can go to 4-drive on their PSD (laptop drives) or go with an Enterprise grade storage unit with up to 5 drives, though three are standard.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2015 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected.

I guess in the least sucky order then.

1. Doremi DCP2K4/ShowVault (real server)
2: GDC IMS thing (assuming it actually is a hardware raid)
3. USL IMS thing (with mechanical drives loaded)

USL could be tied or beat GDC if they have a hardware raid and/or their GUI isn't awful like the GDC interface.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 12:29 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to roll your own server then? [Smile]

I guess it's about time to focus on a stable IMB/IMS implementation with reliable NFS client and a stable NFS server/NAS solution to go with that.

Something like FreeNAS looks quite promising. It's using FreeBSD as core OS, which is usually rock solid and has a stable NFS implementation. It works fine with the Christie Solaria IMS, but both the soft- and hardware of that IMB have been nothing but trouble.

You can put the FreeNAS software on any kind of standard PC server you like. Out of the box Dell, HP or Supermicro server, with HW RAID, redundant PSUs and almost anything you want.

A beefed up machine could possibly serve multiple screens, although you should do some serious performance testing and you're creating a nice big fat Single Point of Failure this way.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Sony...I'm not even going to go here.
Then I'll do:

6 drives hardware Raid6 with dual drive failure redundancy, one additional spare drive with automatic rebuild function prefitted in every server. That is, threefold failure redundancy. System SSD. UPS standard item for every server. All this already in their entry level systems.

Ah no, all this NOT if you order a Sony with a Doremi ShowVault and IMB-SA...

BTW - adding a fourth drive to a doremi only increases capacity, it doesn't offer more redundancy. Plus it slows down writing/ingest considerably.

Still, if I'd buy a 'real' server (not IMS), a ShowVault +IMB is the right thing to get.

That said - we need an IMB for a NEC 900C. What do I do? The IMS1000 seems to be out of the question now, and we can't wait for an IMS2000. GDC is not actually sold/supported here. I'm open towards a USL, especially as this system will be transported, and the SSDs are beneficial there (don't care about capacity or long-term stability, this will not be a daily operation). But the USL server is also not sold over here, and I hear it still has HDMI issues.

@Marco: It is obvious that Doremi/Dolby goes the WebGUI way for their discrete server systems as well. That means, on their IMS it is only WebGUI, on the classic server it will be the classic GUI for the old buffs, and the IMS-type WebGUI for everyone who doesn't hate it. Which is not a bad choice, to have both options.
The basic concept of the WebGUI is good, I think, placing all control functions in a more customizable front-end, instead of having it in OS dependent specific apps. It offers more options for future development and ergonomic improvement.

As a matter of fact, I don't choke on the IMS GUI. Maybe Dolby will streamline the Doremi WebGUI a little bit more towards their liking - the IMS2000 could be the first to show this. And then the WebGUI for the classic Doremi would follow. At least there is hope.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 07:14 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
they chose the wrong raid controller and basically every one fails.
The RAID card has been replaced on all machines. Hopefully this works. Still, the Doremi IMS is #99 on the list! [Smile]

I am still puzzled that Dolby are completely dopping the ShowManager software - and Doremi haven't been developing much lately.

I thought Dolby would bring the best of both world in the new Doremi systems but it seems a little late now?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 07:37 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hardware RAID is a bit of a red herring. You put another CPU in charge of the array but it's still a software controlled system. The RAID hardware (if m/b integrated) or card are hardly failure proof. The drives - and their failure rates - are identical to a "software" RAID.
Shows are going to be lost occasionally, regardless of what hardware you pick.
On several hundred screens since conversion, the many lost-show problems I've seen don't have a glaringly common cause.
I can only think of one screen down because of the Doremi "software" RAID: the site ignored a single drive failure and then a second drive failed.
A few Doremi OS flash chips have failed. That was a hassle a few years ago but the current software simplifies replacement.
Servers like the Christie IMS with NAS content storage allow you to use high reliability storage hardware: the downside so far is that the IMS hardware and server GUI have "issues".
The Doremi 2K4/SV4 with 4 drives advantage is storage capacity: 6TB if you use 2TB drives (who needs that??). It uses RAID5, with the same single drive failure tolerance.
I don't think a central on-line content storage model for a multiple screen venue is workable. A single point of failure - very bad idea. I've seen several TMS failures... it's a major PITA to handle ingests and scheduling manually but it can be done.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2015 08:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that I did two things. GDC and NEC. My combined screens (335) have less troubles then some people have with twenty screens of other manufacturers products. The 50 or so GDC TMS systems I built have also been bullet proof with only two hd failures among them in nearly five years.

Oh, and on the non redundant GDC OS drive there is plenty of room in the drive bay to bolt a back up OS drive all ready to go right next to the one that's there (they are serial number coded to the server). GDC will also sell you a brand new server with a backup OD drive already in place. But you can copy your existing drive if you want to but be sure to copy all the drive because it is divided up into several smaller areas. If the OS drive fails you merely move the SATA connectors over to the new drive then reboot and remake your show line up and run your movie. You don't loose the content! This can all be done in less then 5 minutes if your server is on rack slides. Let me see you beat that reloading the Dolby OS and ALL of your content on your DSS XXX!

Oh, and I still have yet to have a GDC OS drive fail. Some are over 5 years old now. When they do fail they won't be missing any shows either.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-13-2015 09:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all have our experiences, likes and dislikes.

For me...the Dolby DSS line represents the most reliable servers in the industry. The ONLY servers I've had to replace to get shows back on the screen was one where the power supply make the guts look like a road flare went off inside (Supermicro power supply). The other was an old DSP100 that locked up on boot up (has since been repaired). That is two servers over however many hundred we have in the field and one of them was over 5-years old.

Have there been show interruptions? Yes, the software has not been perfect but lost shows, none in our world other than the aforementioned ones.

Dolby's GUI again is simply the best. It is intuitive. I've trained people that don't know how to operate computers on it and they pick it up fast (seriously...one guy, 74, did not have the skills of "click" or "double-click." He runs his theatre very old school...right down to paper tickets off of the roll. In fact, there are no printers of any type I've seen in the theatre...not even a fax machine.

Can you teach someone the other UIs? Absolutely...but never as fast and as consistent as Dolby.

I think the thing I hate most about the DSS server is the 6:30 boot up time (faster on the DSS220). Since I use automations, the lack of macro capability on it is of no consequence to me and it does have real relays so you can control things like masking and lights out of the box.

But if you need to bank on the server running that night...nothing beats a Dolby DSS server, particularly the DSS200 though the DSS220 starting in System 4.6 has been reliable too.

Need a cheap TMS...well if you have three screens or less (and most have tested up to four without an issue) Dolby does that out of the box for no extra $$$. There is no learning a different system.

Another big plus on the Dolby DSS line...you can kill the power to them without corruption unlike GDC and Doremi.

I also like the Jupiter Client but there are times it is very advantageous to work on a system from a support standpoint without having to share the UI with the end-user.

The USL GUI seems to mimic a lot of the Dolby GUI so it is one that we're looking at. But I have no hard data on its reliability or shortcomings.

GDC's GUI is a mixed bag. I think their SMS screen is just fine and I like the whole touchpanel aspect of it. I also like that via VNC you can remotely control it and set up shows (even for a manager this can be handy rather than handy). Having to go through the "Control Panel" screen to get to the Content/Ingest stuff seems like an unnecessary step.

I have been successful training non-computer literate people on the GDC GUI though it took about four times as long to be proficient as with the Dolby GUI. But like most things, once you get used to them, you get proficient/fast with it.

I don't like that you can't get to the configuration pages once the show starts. It is an unnecessary hindrance for at least some of the things. If that stuff was moved over to the Admin screen, then it would still be password protected but also available. Those things that absolutely can't be changed once a show starts, one could leave there. In fact, the swap the config button and the content button in the control panel and you'd have something that makes more sense to me. Then, the user has everything they need right there on the SMS screen where they live.

This business of having to shut down the server before the projector (IMB) is silly. Yes, I've automated it so that the automation shuts things down but it is not intuitive to the end user. To them, the IMB is part of the projector. Since there are IMBs out there that have figured out how to survive and instant power off (e.g. the CAT745), it is time to step up your game. Make your system robust .

Failure rates on our GDC systems do not mimic Mark's accounts. The HFR IMB has had a rather large failure rate in our world and it is essentially the SX-3000 but with a conventional OS in a conventional server chassis. We don't have many SX3000s out there but they have not been problem free. I do not want to give the impression that they are dropping like flies but in comparison to Dolby, the hardware has been nowhere near as reliable. Likewise for their earlier HDSDI based systems...they have been mostly reliable and as Mark said, they kept their UI throughout their models and I commend them on that. If you know GDC, you know ALL GDC models.

I don't like that GDC's logs are encrypted such that only they can read them. I can only imagine that when they pull logs they are getting some sort of sensitive data in there that needs a level of security to them. Christie series 1 projectors did that too. However, if you have the right access levels and know where they are stored, you CAN get to the individual log files.

Doremi I have the least experience with but I can say without hesitation, the UI of the IMS1000 is an abomination. Seriously? A black background with warning messages with red lettering? Did someone flunk GUI school on that one? And your system, based on a web GUI requires a shutdown before turning off the projector? Seriously? So is it reasonable that there will be a web interface at each projector or is the manager just carrying around their phone on the booth network? Or does one shut all of the servers down from a central location and then shut the projectors off?

What Doremi has always been good at is being first and nimble with the changes in the industry. They were the first on the IMB, first on the IMS...got problems with captions, no problem, WE'LL generate them as burned in right here on the server! Want to display them but the show didn't have the font needed in the package? No problem, we got one of those too! Doremi has a reputation of being able to play the "difficult" CPLs.

I wonder how this will change under Dolby. A big problem of Dolby and the DSS line is the lack of nimbleness. It can take months to years to getting feature implemented. When I ran into the subtitle font thing, I was quoted DCI rules rather than "yeah, we can come up with a workaround for that."

Doremi does still have the HDSDI based servers for those that are in the 2K world and want reliability. I dislike the PICe cable thing on their IMB solution...big, stiff and limits you to under 15-feet. I prefer the Dolby or GDC Ethernet based solution.

Christie and Barco both have IMB/IMS type solutions but if you go that way, you are pretty much committed to their respective projectors...which can pose problems, from a uniformity standpoint. Both are new guys to the server world and both have had some serious growing pains. The Barco Alchemy, when fully operational, will bring 4K alternative content to the table (at faster than 30Hz). For us, this could be a big feature since this has come up several times in several locations. But again, that requires a Barco projector. What if the existing projector is a Christie or NEC?...they have to throw out a projector to put in a server? Seems silly to me. And Christie's IMB...100% failure rate in our world...fortunately, never sold one and have replaced them with Dolby DSS200s when possible.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 10:04 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The PCIE cable limit is 7M, about 23 feet.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-13-2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...23-feet...switch to an Ethernet based solution (or even fiber) and go out to whatever you want, pretty much, with far cheaper cable. That was the first IMB out the door...time for an update.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Great conversation! I'm really learning stuff. One idea that popped up a bit up the thread is the unreliability of a single server driving several screens. I wonder if RAID could be replaced or supplemented by RAIS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_Array_of_Inexpensive_Servers ). You'd have a local "cloud" providing capacity, speed, and redundancy. You are still relying on a network switch, but perhaps several could be used to provide redundancy there too.

Harold

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-13-2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold,

Not familiar with the product, but isn't that what Cinemeccanica is doing?

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Oh, and I still have yet to have a GDC OS drive fail. Some are over 5 years old now.
Mark. Hard drives do fail. It's not a matter of IF, but of WHEN. If you design a system where the OS is stored on a single HDD, you make a mistake, at some point ALL your systems will be off screen for the time it takes to replace the HDD.

It is a fact, not a speculation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: