Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Creating TCP commands on Barco Communicator?

Author Topic: Creating TCP commands on Barco Communicator?
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2015 06:14 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reviewing the manual for the Barco Communicator (R59770483/09
28/01/2014). The manual describes how to create a device (IP address, port, login, password), but I do not see how to define a string to send to the device. The manual seems to make no mention of it. In particular, I'm interested in how control codes should be entered (\t or \x09 or whatever for tab, etc.). Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-10-2015 05:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Communicator refers to Barco's application that talks with the projector. You wouldn't send commands to the program. If you are looking for commands to the projector itself, then that is in a different document (or documents). Barco has a bit of a short-form document on DCinema specific commands and then there is a larger document that describes the commands to their projectors, in general. The thing is, not all commands apply to all projectors.

This is consistent with other Barco products...like the ACS2048 and ImagePro...the ACS2048 responds to many of the ImagePro commands but in the ACS2048 command set that was published, there was only a handful of commands.

In any event, I think you want the communications sheet. Not "Communicator" which is their dedicated program.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2015 07:11 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I pulled the name from the front of the manual. It is their internal server that I'm trying to help a customer work with. There is a section on automation commands, and it says it will do TCP, but they only describe how to do GPO commands. I don't have a unit in front of me. I'm just trying to help a customer have it talk to a JSD-60. Ideas?

Thanks!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-10-2015 07:16 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the projector need to talk to a JSD60 in a cinema environment?

Is this a Barco with integrated server, like Doremi IMS1000 or Alchemy? Then the server manual would apply. I know Barco ran a bit havoc about their control software lately. Before, 'Communicator' was only used for the setup-software for their projectors. Now they have integrated GUis for Server and projector control. If you're not familiar with this, it can be a bit confusing. I can only assume your client is dealing with the Alchemy IMS. The problem there might be that the manual is from early 2014, and the software develops quickly, so the software capabilities of the actual unit may be very different from what you are seeing in the manual.
If we are talking about the same manual, then yes, that reflects a software state than can only control projector macros and server GPOs, no Ethernet. For setup then it references the Communicator software, so you definitely need a very current copy of the Communicator manual, as that functionality to set up Cues for the Alchemy is only in recent Communicator versions.

Don't know how it looks like with the current software. Maybe Barco can help with an updated manual or description. That client should also make sure the Alchemy is on current software, as it changes rapidly.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2015 07:26 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it's the internal server (is that Alchemy?). I pulled the name from the cover of the manual, along with the apparent part number for the manual and the revision date. The manual was provided by the customer. So... does anyone know how to define TCP strings for this server? I've never seen one, and the manual I've seen is not useful. In particular, how are control characters defined in TCP strings. The customer has apparently figured out how to define strings, but probably not control characters (backslash escape, hex, or some other method).

Thanks!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-10-2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You definitely need to contact Barco about that. The 1/2014 manual is not complete when it comes to this. You can setup automation devices just the way you do it on a Doremi, e.g. a JNIOR is mentioned, and there is a short passage on how to setup commands, but they do not cover TCP/IP at all. Given that the Alchemy software develops so quickly, a manual from 1/2014 must be really outdated.

I understand the confusion about 'Communicator', because previously Communicator software only allowed projector configuration, with the advent of the Alchemy IMS, they added that config functionality to it.

There is one guy on the forum using 11 Alchemys - Mattias Mattsson from Sweden. If he is not the guy you are trying to help ( ;-) ), then you may contact him, maybe he knows more. I can send him an email pointing to this thread.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2015 07:56 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great! The customer I'm trying to help is named Matthis, so it appears to be someone different.

Thanks!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-10-2015 08:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, could still be the same guy ;-)

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-11-2015 05:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For clarification...Barco refers to the control program (GUI) for the Alchemy (aka ICMP) as the "Commander".

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2015 03:43 AM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I don't know how to specify control characters in TCP automation strings on an Alchemy, you probably need to contact Barco.

Update: When I looked closer into this it seems that thay use "\xx" notation (xx = hex values). Beceasue the default value for the test macro I just created was "mute\0D".

Btw, The Barco ICMP interface is very, very similiar to that of the XDC Solo G3. (Even the icons are the same.) That's no coincidence, Barco bought the server manufacturing from XDC.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-29-2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
INTEG now has a document on how to use their JNIORs from the BARCO Alchemy server.

http://www.integpg.com/downloads/documentation/AppNote_JNIOR_Barco_Alchemy_Module_Updated_27July2015.pdf

However, as on a Doremi, this is done using a dedicated JNIOR driver, not raw TCP commands. May still be useful, as the document shows some interesting tricks and devices around executing and monitoring commands and macros.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-29-2015 04:35 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Text strings use the "\0D" to send a hex character (return in this case, I think) as a line terminator, that tells the receiving device the command is finished and to execute it.
I will have to figure out the Alchemy soon as well, installing our first one soon.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed a fair few now, and setup commands for devices like the CP750.

I don't recall it being well detailed in the manual, but little is.

I also recall it being quite straightforward if you're sat connected to a server.

It's a bit clunky though, you have to defined the devices and commands using DCP Communicator, not Barco Commander.

Earlier versions of the software/DCP Communicator did not facilitate instant testing of commands, so it's worth making sure the Alchemy is on the latest version (there was also the lack of NTP issue) and the latest DCP Communicator.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: