Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC SA2000 Rebuilding RAID Array

Author Topic: GDC SA2000 Rebuilding RAID Array
Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a hard drive die on my GDC SA2000 Server and I'm trying to rebuild the RAID with a new hard drive. I expected the RAID software to simply rebuild itself after installing the new hard drive, but that doesn't seem to be the case as I am still getting the "degraded array" message coming up when I start the server and the raid status still says "degraded array." Can anyone give me some help? Apparently our warranty ran out a couple months ago and GDC won't even help walk me through this process.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you removed the old drive from the array on the admin panel storage system management tab? Then added a drive with the add disk tab? Click on monitor raid status and it will show you if the array is rebuilding.It can take 3-4 hours.Also, did you check the other drives with the monitor disk information tab?

Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I was never given the Admin password when I started here(or the Bios password for that matter). I only have the Technician/Maintenance password, there have been 4-5 people in this position in the past three years and it seems like some of these things just got forgotten about. I know people can't post the default passwords here, but is there anyway someone can PM them to me?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-08-2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You definitely need to initiate the rebuild of the RAID yourself, it does NOT do it automatically.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-08-2015 08:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the server is 3 or more years old look at the drive errors when you log in. If the errors are high and or the drive gets kicked back out of the raid more than a couple times then it's time to replace the drive.

Mark

Peter Provorov
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 09:44 PM      Profile for Peter Provorov   Email Peter Provorov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need remove the faulty hdd before change new HDD. Then add new HDD. Raid will be automation rebuilding about 6-8 hour.

Paul Willmott
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Paul Willmott   Email Paul Willmott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ethan

If you are still having problems, PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2015 10:33 AM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all, I was able to get into the Admin panel and it was pretty straight forward from there. RAID rebuilt fine yesterday, appreciate everyones assistance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: