Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200 Version (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200 Version
Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2015 10:23 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the highest version I can update a Dolby DSS200 with a NEC2500 (Type 3 board)?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-05-2015 01:19 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's another thread on the matter. I cannot remember on top of my head of type 3 is supposed to work but the easiest way is to temporarily switch the server to TLS encryption (unless it's already set to TLS) and test it.
If it works then you can install whatever you want.
If it doesn't then you could try the certificate recovery procedure but if that does not help then you're stuck to 4.3.5-13.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-05-2015 06:48 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure your board is capable of Cinelink TLS before updating the server: you CAN NOT revert to previous software after you install a DCI compliant version.
The interface boards are complicated and some versions are buggy - even though one should work, it may not. I would hesitate to use DCI firmware if the projector interface board doesn't have the security encapsulation: most of the board covered in a hard black block. It may do TLS but the entire system will not be DCI compliant (the secure card is required) even with current versions... and what's the point then?
No encrypted content has yet required full DCI compliance to unlock. That may come, yes. Dolby has non-DCI versions that you can use with the current Jupiter client: that's the main problem with older versions as far as I know, but probably you also need compatible versions if you have a show store library system? I don't have any experience with those.
If there are no compelling reasons to install a DCI version, don't. You don't gain much and could be left with "pink snow" until you get a new ($$$$) interface card.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-05-2015 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vast majority of our series 1 systems do NOT have the GORE board...only those with VPF requirements got them. However, just about all of our systems are now on a DCI compliant version of Dolby software (most are on 4.8.4 now). A compelling reason to move to a more compliant version will likely be the SMPTE packages that will be increasing in distribution as well as the many/many subtitle handling improvements. 4.8.4 also starts the show instantly after hitting play (or via schedule start)...prior versions recheck licenses at show start.

But, as others have stated...first switch the encryption to "TLS" to test your projector for compatibility...if it works then you are good to go.

Note, if you have a DSS100/DSP100 system, you CAN revert back to 4.3.5.x but you cannot revert back on a DSS200 (the CAT862 is permanently altered from 4.4 onward).

If you have no immediate needs for the improvements in current versions, then I agree with the argument to stay at 4.3.5.9. That was a very stable version and boots up faster.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2015 09:36 AM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank guys. I will working on that on Monday and will let you know.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-05-2015 01:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve says, the main reason why simply leaving your server on 4.3.5.13 might not be an option is subtitles in SMPTE DCPs. We were getting a steady uptick in DCPs with subtitles that simply wouldn't display, and things got to the point at which our programmers were pretty much demanding that I took action (in particular, after a major festival last year in which we had to play a BD backup of a show with the director present: the BD had a very low bitrate and only 2.0 audio, and he wasn't pleased).

So, thanks to the help and suggestions of Steve and Marco in particular, I was able to recover the TLS certificate and update the DSS200 software.

If it weren't for the subtitle problem, we could have carried on with 4.3.5.13. The only other issue I was experiencing with it was that it had a relatively small total number of DCPs it would let you put in a show playlist (can't remember how many, but we were always hitting the limit for awards shows with lots of clips and slides - that sort of thing), which went away with 4.8.4. But that was a minor problem I would have lived with if it weren't for the need to address the SMPTE subtitle issue.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 08:39 AM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will post here since its from the same brand and model and not create another thread.

Since Friday, one DSS200 server stop receiving SPL's from the LMS. I can ingest/transfer all other content but only the SPL's are not transferring. First, they appeared in the content progress but never actually finished and now it doesn't appear anything.

It started Friday at 7pm and before that everything was fine.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-08-2015 10:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which LMS?

And, when in doubt, reboot both ends of the "problem" (the TMS and the server).

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 02:38 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinedigm.

The weird thing is that everything was Ok until Friday at 7pm then the spls stop transferring.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-08-2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often, there is a reason for that (naturally). Go to Schedule Viewer for that screen and see if there are any shields for the shows that aren't transferring. MANY times I've seen a trailer that needed a KDM get put into the pack and that will keep shows from being built.

Rebooting the server and the TMS still wouldn't hurt anything. Note, with a Cinedigm TMS system, there is normally an associated NOC to support it...have you called them (if they exist)?

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 05:19 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the original thread, Dolby send me the KDM's for the upgrade. I followed the steps of the upgrade and its stuck in the Dolby Cinema Splash Screen. It says connecting to server (searching) and it has been 45 minutes and nothing. This is nornal or should I take another route?

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-09-2015 05:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is NOT normal. You can try rebooting (power cycling) and re-running the upgrade. However, you may find that you have to unconfig the show store to get the Show Manager to return (I forget if it is option 2 or 3 on the Unconfig). Note, Unconfig Option 2 will lose your serial commands (if any) and Unconfig option 3 will lose your GPIO settings if they are not the factory defaults.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2015 11:05 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. I re-run the upgrade and everything came together nicely.

Question, does the DSS100 handle cue's like the DSS200 via GPIO?

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-10-2015 05:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the DSS100 also has GPIO (with actual relays on the outputs, like the 200 and 220, not high-current relays but relays).

Note, the DSS100 can only update as far as 4.7.3.3

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2015 07:47 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,its the same pin-out as the DSS200 and the same way to upload the config file for the cues?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: