Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby server or Barco Alchemy server ?

Author Topic: Dolby server or Barco Alchemy server ?
Thomas Vlachogiannis
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2015 04:47 AM      Profile for Thomas Vlachogiannis   Email Thomas Vlachogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all ,
I want to install a server to my Barco Dp2K20C series II projector.
What to decide?
Buy an external Dolby screen server or an Barco Alchemy server to install it inside to my Barco Dp2k-20C projector.
Please do give me both advantages and disadvantages of both examples.
Thank you in advance.
Thomas
Cine star cinemas

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-03-2015 06:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby's server (DSS line) concludes sales at the end of this month. Support will continue for a minimum of 3 years. So that should be a factor in your decision.

That said, without a doubt, Dolby has the best user interface (GUI). The Dolby server is THE most reliable server in the industry, bar none. So if I have a choice between the two, it is a slam dunk, the Dolby DSS server...in fact, I'm putting one in today and have more installs slated this month and even next year (customer is pre-buying for an addition to their existing theatre and they have the Dolby server and agree, that is what they want).

The Barco ICMP (Alchemy) is the new-kid on the block. As such, it has had its share of growing pains as the real world has shown its problems. It hasn't implemented all of its features yet either but they are being added with each release. It is the first IMB to also replace the TI ICP module with its own. What this means is that they have removed a bottleneck in the bandwidth that is limiting other companies to a 4K 30fps (including alternative content) and 3D to 2K. The Alchemy will top out at 4K/60 (2D) and 4K/30 (3D).

Since you are putting it into a "C" series projector, the benefits of 4K will be lost on your projector. Though I heard at Cinema Con this year that TI is looking to offer 4K to .98" machines around 2017. But what will servers be like if/when that happens?

Dolby's server has a traditional keyboard/monitor type interface (but has VNC as well as a dedicated client application). The Alchemy has one either use a client application (Commander) or the touchpanel (also running commander) as the user interface.

And then there are your future needs. If you plan to expand or build your world around a platform, the Dolby DSS line is at the end, the Alchemy is at the beginning.

There are other items that differentiate the two but those are what I consider the major decision points at the moment. I'm sure others will have other nuances between the two.

Peter Provorov
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2015 09:52 PM      Profile for Peter Provorov   Email Peter Provorov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can choose Dolby or Doremi server. It is best. I don't like Barco IMCP. it's very problem now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: