Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony SRX 515 lamp problem

Author Topic: Sony SRX 515 lamp problem
Hakan Bicer
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2015 03:21 PM      Profile for Hakan Bicer   Email Hakan Bicer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all we have 4 sony srx 515 series projector it is realy good but we have Lamp problem

serx 515 projection
LKRM 450 lamp

sony change the lamp wtih free of charge for waranty

but I want to learn to reason to this

thanks

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-22-2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite common that some lamps from a batch do not perform to terms. It was even worse for the 350/330W UHP lamps from Sony and NEC (NC900C). These lamps at their rated power were new technology, so it took a while to get their operational parameters right. Turned out that the reason for most premature failures was a bad combination of lamp power and cooling flow, causing temperature related mechanical stress to the bulb. But even with the new lamps, power supplies or firmware having fixed this, there will always be some lamps that will not make it to their spec'd hours.

The 450W lamps actually performed to warranty hours in most installations.
These UHPs usually do not like to be fired too often. So you should usually not switch them off between shows on the same day. The more often they are ignited, the sooner they will fail. Sonys UHP lamp warranty terms are based on run-time and the number of ignitions.

- Carsten

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-22-2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will get better answers if you describe the problem.

Jure Maticic
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2015 02:55 AM      Profile for Jure Maticic   Email Jure Maticic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same problem with the 330W lamps - 3 out of 6 went out, but the firmware update did solve this problem. We also went with Karsten's advice to run the lamps over 90% (we are running with 3 lamps only) and this way we have the remaining 3 original lamps supplied with the projector still running.

What I hear from my colleagues that also use Sony 515-s, they haven't had lamp problems for quite a while now, all of them running them over 90% and updating the firmware (that was two updates ago [Smile]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-23-2015 07:23 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony also updated the 330W lamps from the LKRM-U330 to the LKRM-U331. Among other things, it has a modified air inlet grill (the 450W type is also modified with this, but needed no software changes, hence lamp type did not change).

This LKRM-U331 however, needs at least Sony software 1.3x running.

NEC did similar things for the NC900C - bulb and firmware changes, new power-supply. Looks as if that issue is solved now.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-23-2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So is the hot-spot for those lamps 100% and the closer to 100% the better?

Hakan Bicer
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2015 09:33 AM      Profile for Hakan Bicer   Email Hakan Bicer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we will change the Lamp type with LKRM 330 after than I give you information about it .

realy thanks all for your information about it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-24-2015 05:58 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hakan - Why change?

Also - you can not mix different lamps in a Sony 510/515. If you change between lamp types, you have to swap ALL 4/6 lamps at once.

You CAN mix LKRM-U330 and LKRM-U331, though. But not 450 and 330 watt.

U330 stock should be depleted by now, I guess Sony will now only deliver U331.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 350 watt lamps have gotten way way better over the last four months. Ushio has redesigned it and now the lamp is cemented to the reflector at only one end. Held at the other end by a special support. This now allows the lamp to expand and contract like a xenon lamp normally would. Ok, I'll,say it... DUH! I always said that cementing them at both ends was the basis of the whole problem.

There have also been modified fan and ballast firmware for the NC-900 so it is important to be sure these projectors are updated in a timely manner... Once the original versions of the 350 watt lamps are gone it should be clear sailing.

Mark

Hakan Bicer
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2015 10:44 AM      Profile for Hakan Bicer   Email Hakan Bicer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
realy thanks for your interest dear friends ; I will change all lamps with 330 or 331

but I want change firstly lamp power unit maybe

some user says me if I change the lamp model we can solved the problem.

so that I dont know what can ı do .
primarily must change the power supply or lamp model?
defective lamp hours are 500 - 800 hours

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-25-2015 07:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, it's completely normal that some lamps fail prematurely. With the 515 having 6 of them, a single failure will hardly matter.
Replace with same type, then wait and see. And avoid unnecessary ignitions.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: