Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Any one else getting an audio/visual inspection in order to show "Tomorrowland?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any one else getting an audio/visual inspection in order to show "Tomorrowland?"
Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2015 05:30 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Tuesday afternoon, a tech from Strong is supposed to come to inspect our picture and sound for next week's showing of "Tomorrowland." Sounds like the Theater Alignment Program redux. Just wondering if anyone else is going to be visited similarly.

Don't bother asking questions, because what I have written above is all I know about this visit. It does look like the trailer exhibits a 2.20 AR. Maybe the guy wants to size the picture on our NEC-2500S? At any rate, I asked our regular tech to come by at the same time and let them figure what, if anything, needs to be done.

I can't imagine that if we should fail in something, that Disney would yank the movie, especially since they are only inspecting the one screen (out of four) that it is opening on.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2015 05:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems strange that they would do something like this for Tomorrowland which looks like a middle-sized hit, and not for their blockbuster Avengers movie.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2015 08:27 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard about an inspection but the Grand Lake is slated to be one of 18 non Imax presentation housed in the country. We get to open the movie Thursday night.

Just about everyone in the San Francisco Bay Area gets inspected for Pixar releases.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-15-2015 08:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We frequently get this sort of thing happening before major premieres. What usually happens is that a tech ensures that the light output from the projector is an even 14ft-l across the screen and "shoots the colors" (checks that the red, green and blue components of the white light reflected off the screen are in balance). The color temperature of a xenon bulb can change during the course of its life, and if this has happened, projector settings may need to be changed to take account of it.

If the bulb has deteriorated to the point at which it can no longer deliver 14ft-l, even after tweaking the reflector alignment, they may ask you to replace the bulb. I like to have a spare in stock if the bulb installed has done more than 200-300 hours, so that if we get a high profile screening or festival with studio checks done beforehand, we can replace the bulb if requested.

On the audio side of things, they will "tune the room", which basically means tweaking the audio processor's levels and EQ curve for each channel to ensure that the output meets reference standards when playing pink noise.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2015 11:35 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To bad Disney shoots most of their 3-D movies in 2-D and converts to save money. Watched the 'Tomorrowland' trailer on the curved screen at Seattle's Cinerama Theatre last week and It looked good in just 2-D. They will probably only play It in 2-D as It was not shot using two cameras for the best 3-D. I think that is their policy at the Cinerama Seattle WA. They only show movies made in true 3-D not the fake stuff.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrowland is not a 3D release.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2015 10:09 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam It says on the web site real 3-D or fake 3-D that It is in Fake 3-D. Maybe Disney pulled the plug on the phony 3-D version. Some theatres have it advertised as being in 3-D?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2015 12:04 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks like they have dropped it - IMAX is not denoting it as such, nor Walt Disney Studio's Facebook page. Although they are never 100% accurate IMDB states the movie's AR is 2.20 (and the IMAX framing is open matte 1.90)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-18-2015 08:38 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
We frequently get this sort of thing happening before major premieres. What usually happens is that a tech ensures that the light output from the projector is an even 14ft-l across the screen and "shoots the colors" (checks that the red, green and blue components of the white light reflected off the screen are in balance). The color temperature of a xenon bulb can change during the course of its life, and if this has happened, projector settings may need to be changed to take account of it.
Yeah, well, for a premiere, I can somehow understand this. Actually I would be rather surprised if they didn't do a little bit of QC.

But for a normal theatrical run it's something new for me, at least if it's coming from a studio.

quote: Jonathan Goeldner
looks like they have dropped it - IMAX is not denoting it as such, nor Walt Disney Studio's Facebook page. Although they are never 100% accurate IMDB states the movie's AR is 2.20 (and the IMAX framing is open matte 1.90)
They did advertise it as a 3D release, at least around here, but it has now been reverted to a normal 2D release.

I'm not sure what amounts to fake v.s. real 3D if large parts of your movie come right out of the big CGI machine anyway.

On another note, the movie seems to have been rebranded as "Project T" over here, I'm not sure if this change is a smart move.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that there is someone important that has to do with that particular film living in or visiting your area.

I used to be the projection booth supervisor at the Showcase Cincinnati 12 theatre. We had a Universal Office in town. Typically we got the T.A.P. checks on a lot of Universal release movies.

I have worked at many other theatres in may other towns and noticed that the checks were more frequent when important industry types were either in town visiting or resided there. Naples, Florida was another good example of this.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard it's 2.20 letterboxed in FLAT? wth smh

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-18-2015 02:10 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's F-220 in Europe. Someone mentioned S-220 for the US (that would have to be pillarboxed). Is that wrong?

- Carsten

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email from our rep today along with the spec sheet and both said flat

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got our hard drive of it today. They seem to be giving this release the deluxe treatment, all right --- it came with a 3-page color "tips for projectionists" insert and they are running a contest for projectionists, similar to what they've done with Pixar movies lately. And it also included a set of trading cards, like Pixar has done.

Confirmed it is 2.20:1 and flat.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-18-2015 07:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.20:1 pillar-boxed in a flat 1998x1080 container? That's 'scope done really wrong. The only way it could have been any worse is if they put the 2.20:1 image in a 1920x1080 TV style container. But this isn't far from it.

It sounds to me like Disney ought to be doing their audio/visual inspections on the production and post production teams. They didn't shoot the movie on 5/65mm or even with something like the 2.20:1 ratio Arri Alexa65. It makes no sense for them to crop to that aspect ratio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: