Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco Color Calibration

Author Topic: Barco Color Calibration
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2015 12:51 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question about calibrating color on Barcos.
After measuring native colors and applying the correction, we selected color verification as the target color source and verified the corrected colors and white was spot on. But a white test pattern called up on the Barco (corrected or uncorrected} was way off. If we ran the GDC framing chart the white was correct.
What am i missing? I thought test patterns were stored on the ICP board which also does the processing, so why isn't white white?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-27-2015 01:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are calling the white (or any other pattern) via the Test pattern section of communicator, it is likely that the TCGD is no longer Color Verification and that you are now reading via the TCGD buried in the PCF for the format that is selected.

Note, officially, color is supposed to be read by playing an appropriate pattern from the SERVER not the projector. That would ensure that the entire signal path is accounted for. Does anyone do that outside of 3D? Probably not too many though it is easy enough to do the verification that way.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 02:49 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a white pattern dcp from freedcp.net. When projected it should read 0.314/0.351 after calibration. Just play it and pause, it will project white until ejected. This is good for 3D as it will run your 3D adapter at sync speed.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-27-2015 03:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, anyone that has access to Dolby's customer site can download their 3D test patterns so you can get all four stimuli. They will work for 2D or 3D color tests.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the internal patterns but always verify via server. As Steve says that accounts for everything. Also I found that white from server is usually slightly less bright than white from projector.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White patterns are basically uncorrected color. You can't add more green to the colors so to get that you turn down red and blue... corrected color will always be a bit less bright than uncorrected - unless by some miracle the uncorrected color reads 0.314/0.351.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not certain with the Barco projectors, but with the NEC projectors, you have to load the test pattern, then apply the various screen filed - Lens, Screen, MCGD, etc.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 11:50 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, what I meant was that the white corrected from the server reads slightly less bright than the white corrected from the projector. Not a huge amount. Obviously there is a big difference between corrected and uncorrected, as you said.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2015 12:21 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed the same as Marco;
If I put up a corrected test pattern from the projector (MCGD applied and the Target set as Colour Verification), I get 314 x 351 at X fL.
Then play the Dolby FS White from the server, I still get 314 x 351, but at about 2fL less than directly from the PJ.
Is there a particular reason that anyone is aware of for this?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-28-2015 06:37 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was less than 2fL but it may be. I believe there is a contrast control in the ICP, never played with that. But it would make sense for the FS patch from the server to provide the same value.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-28-2015 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin...for the NEC projector, I suggest you acquaint yourself wit the TI ICP/Enigma program.

You can then apply the test pattern via the TI program and not have to put up with NEC's quirk of always popping you back to full-screen. In fact, I find myself using the TI program for setting screen files and sometimes MCGD files too.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-28-2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip Steve, I will try that next time I work on my screen files.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: