Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco light sensor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco light sensor
Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2015 06:07 PM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was touching up the alignment on my 32B today, and noticed something strange. I was watching the alignment chart on communicator, and as the bulb is on, it will be reading 10.50 Ft/L, and without really touching anything will plummet to 8.00 within a second. Then, eventually, it will come back up. I know sometimes the arc can wander and you can have a slight flicker, but I would have to believe a sudden drop of slightly over 2 Ft/L would be noticeable to the eye.

The other thing I thought was strange, was a few times it plummeted, no matter what adjustment you made, it really didn't change it until it decided to come back up. I honestly do not believe the brightness is changing as much as it is the number on the sensor. The bulb is fairly new, and i cannot really see any flicker.

I ended up aligning the bulb off my eye, because the number on communicator began to bounce so rapidly, it basically became useless. I tried closing and reopening communicator too, and rebooted the machine once. I'm sure the alignment isn't great, but it will get me through the night.

I don't have a light meter, but I know somebody who does. He's going to bring it out in a day, and we are going to try to align the bulb using an external light meter. I even tried making a new calibration file for the light sensor, on the assumption that i was getting 10 ft/l on the screen. Even though the calibration file would be incorrect, I wanted to see if it would still bounce with a new file, and it did.

I believe the light sensor in that 32 is going. Does anyone else agree?

Thanks,
Jay

|  IP: Logged

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you blame the CLO sensor,

First make sure you are not in CLO mode when doing a lamp alignment. It should be in normal mode

Second did anyone ever check the orientation of the magnet in the lamp house. There is a info-t on the 32B, some of them had magnets reversed when they were manufactured and that can cause an unstable arc.

Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2015 07:07 PM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim,

No, I'm not in CLO. In fact, I actually don't use CLO. maybe i'm old school from the days of film but I like to know right about where the bulb is ,and be the one to take it up if needed. That way I know if I have one darkening bad.

As for the magnet… Yes, ours was in backwards. We changed it shortly after the info-t came out a while back.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 01:15 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which version are you using? I've seen this with 1.13,but it may have been a lamp/ballast/sensor issue, it was the only machine I've seen with 1.13 so I can't be sure it was a software issue.

Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2015 02:10 AM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly I believe my 32 is still running 1.12, I need to update it. But I'll double check when I'm out there tomorrow. My communicator is 4.9.14.

My alignment by eye was better than I thought it would be. I'll be interested to hit it with the light meter Tuesday.

I did go around the front of the booth during projection, and stared straight down the lens to see how well I centered the bulb, and it looked pretty good for now. I have a new problem though. Theres a big pesky black spot on the front of my laptop screen that won't seem to go away no matter what I clean it with [Confused]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a topic from last year on the 32B stabilizing magnet issue.

Barco 32B Magnet

I had 4, 32B units with reversed magnets installed in the module. Bought a compass to check polarity and to help correct the polarity.

-Monte

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-28-2015 10:54 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beware of Barco 8/10 projectors, the CLO sensor is nutty. Light level reported depends on what's projected: black reads lowest and white reads highest. I haven't figured out why or how this happens. The lamp power will vary with scene brightness changes if it's run in CLO mode, I think maybe recent software locks out power changes some time after a macro is executed though.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-29-2015 01:06 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, really! Thanks for the heads up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-29-2015 06:52 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they are trying some primitive form of contrast ratio improvement. That said, it is normal for CLO to be locked out 5 minutes after a macro change (historically...I haven't verified this on an S series).

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the CLO sensor is located after the DMDs? I too have observed this behaviour.

On a B or C you can happily line up the lamp with content playing, try it that way on a 8 or 10 and see how far you get!

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2015 10:38 AM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clo sensor is attached to the folding mirror before the Prism and the DMDs

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true for B & C but is it for S?

I don't follow why the CLO reading jumps all over the place with content.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-30-2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably some light-spill or back-reflection. Just why didn't they catch this issue in time? Having a functioning light sensor/CLO is not the most exotic feature.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-01-2015 03:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame, the light calibration has always been very accurate on a Barco. Something Christie don't have.

If I service a projector with an old lamp and I calibrate the light, if the light level is - say - 12fL, on a Barco I can dial 14fL on the macro: when the lamp gets changed the CLO will adjust to reach 14fL. Same the other way round, when I find that the lamp installed is too powerful and I recommend for a smaller one: the projector will adjust to the correct level when that is done (within a reasonable accuracy). This cannot be done on a Christie.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2015 01:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not entirely correct. Christie uses a "target number". It is just not referenced to any particular fL reading. When I install a Christie projector, I set up any desired light loc calibrations I may need and name them appropriately. That is, if I want a 14fL Flat and a 14fL scope...I'll manually set the light to 14fL and then label the setting something like FLAT14fL and set the lightloc to that number. Likewise for the Scope format (and on down the line for any/all lens zoom or anamorphic settings). So while the Christie will not read out in fL (you can "calibrate" its sensor for ONE format, that is indeed inaccurate) you can set up as many suitable lightloc calibrations that are as accurate as your light meter. The projector will keep the lamp at that level to the best of its ability (and potentially to the lamp's detriment if allowed to go over 100%)

For sure though, Barco has everyone beat on the lamp calibration thing and they let you have it read out in fL with reasonable accuracy (not taking into account the optical items after the sensor...i.e. screen, port glass).

THE most worthless sensor is NEC's. It too is just a number but it has no basis on anything, including brightness. Setting for the highest number often doesn't mean the brightest or most even picture. That said, NEC will, like Christie allow you to "mark" your desired setting, save it, recall it and use "Feedback" to account for lamp aging. From what I can tell in my limited tests, it seems to lock onto your settings pretty well.

What Christie really beats the others on is lamp alignment. What a pleasure that thing is...it gets you 95-100% there and it does it pretty darn fast on the series 2 projectors. Barco's automatic lamp adjustments (if you buy the rather expensive upgrade) is horrendously slow (15 minutes or so) and is hit/miss at best on the alignment and seemingly never gets it 100%. That said, Barco is the clear winner on manual alignment...the lamp adjustments combined with the "green dots" makes it rather quick and accurate. NEC is the clear loser there with the most sloppy lamp adjustment that seemed to copy Christie's old "H" series lamp adjustments...with all of their failings.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: