Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Enigma Board (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Enigma Board
Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2015 08:41 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Enigma board the same for a NEC and a Barco projector? Can I use one in both projectors or is there a difference? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-24-2015 08:57 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The actual board is identical. There may be different "login list" data for different manufacturers. Possibly if it doesn't work (try it...) reloading the firmware for it using the version from NEC or Barco (whatever you have!) may solve that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2015 06:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Dave points out...they are physically the same board and they use the same software...but the login lists are NOT the same.

I've tried transplanting Enigmas between Barco and Christie as well as NEC and Christie and was not successful. You can talk to the Enigma still with the TI program but the projectors don't recognize it properly (no communication). I have not tried Barco in an NEC but since its user login credentials are NOT the same (either user or password) I would have to presume that at the projector communication level they would be different too.

Peter Provorov
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2015 09:42 PM      Profile for Peter Provorov   Email Peter Provorov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to swap LD form Barco to Chritie, but it not work.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2015 04:45 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along this line, connected a DSS/DSP100 to a Barco 23B and everything booted up ok until the message that the server could not communicate with the link decryptor (enigma board?). Switched out 100 for a dolby DSS200, & everythin went smoothly from there. My question is two fold: What could be the on the 100 (running vers. 4.3.5.13)? It was a newly "refurbished" link decryptor board and SDI card just installed in the 23B...could there be a simple matter of a series 1 component not compatible with series 2 projector? If so, is there a chance the dss/dsp100 might work with a series 1 projector without having to .be.repaired? If it needs repair, how do I contact Venture manufactur, the company Dolby says is authorized to make repairs? Thanks

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re-entering edited (corrected) version.

Along this line, connected a DSS/DSP100 to a Barco 23B and everything booted up ok until the message that the server could not communicate with the link decryptor (enigma board?). Switched out 100 for a dolby DSS200, & everything went smoothly from there. My question is two fold: What could be the problem on the 100 (running vers. 4.3.5.13)? It was a newly "refurbished" link decryptor board and SDI card just installed in the 23B...could it be a simple matter of a series 1 component not compatible with series 2 projector? If so, is there a chance the dss/dsp100 might work with a series 1 projector without having to be repaired? If it needs repair, how do I contact Venture Manufacturing, the company Dolby says is authorized to make repairs? I've done a Google search and the only "Venture Mfg" I can find mentions nothing about repairs on Dolby products. Thanks [Confused]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be the DSP10 is trying to use a CineLink mode not supported by the Enigma?

You could also with ShowPlayer setup app in expert mode and check the link encryption mode.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-04-2015 12:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve could give you the chapter and verse, but I think you're right: series 1 and 2 components are fundamentally incompatible.

I've had this issue over the last year, with a DSS200 and NC2500S projector. When I started in this job the DSS200 was running 4.3.5.13 and linked to the projector via dual-link SDI and Cinelink I. For this reason I couldn't update the server software any further, because 4.3.5.13 is the last version that doesn't force you to use Cinelink II TLS. When I put the cat862 into TLS mode, the projector wouldn't recognize it.

My problem was eventually solved by doing the TLS certificate recovery procedure on the projector, which enabled it to pass the TLS certificate to the server and thus TLS would work. After that, I updated the Dolby software to the latest version successfully.

My guess would be that in your case, 4.3.5.13 doesn't support Enigma, or at least your version of it. It may be that if you update your DSS100 software to the final version that was published for it (4.7.something, IIRC), that will do the trick. However, if you were to attempt this, I'd strongly advise obtaining a "clean install" (not upgrade) 4.3.5.13 ISO, and if you're using a cat862, a KDM for that version, and be prepared to reconstruct your config settings and reingest all content, so that you can revert back to your current version if the update creates new problems and you need to revert. My understanding is that Dolby won't let you downgrade without clean installing, and so running a 4.3.5.13 updater after moving to a later version won't work.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-04-2015 03:05 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen such error message (cannot communicate with the Enigma) and the Enigma should support any dsp100. As Pete said check your link decryption mode.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2015 06:46 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from a Dolby bulletin:

"Cinelink II TLS is the default for all Series 2 projectors and works with most Series 1 projectors.

Cinelink II DH should be used with any Series 1 projector that does not have a secure INTERFACE board. This is for older machines that cannot run Cinelink II TLS."

You can check which version you have under the system tab in the Cat 862 settings.

If you need help changing the setting, message me and I can get you instructions.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-04-2015 10:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other relevant info on this thread and this one.

The crucial thing is that 4.3.5.13 is the final version of the DSS100/200 software that allows you to use a pre-TLS link encryption method. If you want to update your server beyond that, the projector to which it is connected must have either an IMB or, if connected by dual-link SDI from a cat862 in the server, a SIB that supports TLS.

I'm purely guessing here, but I'm guessing that you might actually need a later version for Enigma to work, hence Justin's issue. Justin - out of curiosity, what software version is the 200 you did manage to get it working with?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-05-2015 07:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no reason a DSS100/DSP100 can't work with any series 2 projector. I suspect your problem is in the configuration.

Make sure you have configured your DSS100 correctly via the config script. Also make sure you have the DSP100 set to Cinelink II TLS when working with any series 2 projector. 4.3.5.13 should work fine though not my favorite version. 4.3.5.9 is better and doesn't require a KDM to "downgrade" on a DSP100 (it does on a CAT862 for the DSS200). That said, with SMPTE packages coming out this year with increasing frequency, you will want to update that unit to 4.7.3.3 at some point.

To check your cinelink method, you can go to the System>System Devices and scroll down see the link decryption method.

I believe with 4.3 one could change the method using a command line command (need administrator privileges). "./linkencrypt.sh TLS" will change the link encryption to Cinelink II TLS. DH, CINELINK, OFF are the other options (everything is case sensitive).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-05-2015 11:18 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can change the method that way in 4.3.5.13 (don't know about any other versions, because this was the only one I tried it under), because I did so in order to check if our NC2500S worked with TLS before I recovered the certificate.

I don't think you can change it any other way. System > System Devices only allows you to see the settings, not change them, and the link encryption method is grayed out if you connect the cat862 to a laptop via USB and then run Media Block Setup.

The complete sequence is:

Press ctrl/alt/F1 from the Show Manager window
* factory default username =  -

* factory default password =  -

...and then the command Steve gives above.
Finally, type "reboot" and press enter.

Check what version you're on before you change anything, so that you know what to revert to if it causes any problems.

* I don't see any reason not to print these here, as they're stated in the installation manual, which is freely downloadable from loads of places only a Google search away.

[ 05-05-2015, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-05-2015 02:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco won't work in NEC either.... That's been tried.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please, no passwords. I don't care if they are defaults or not.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: