Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » BARCO DALLAS KEY (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BARCO DALLAS KEY
Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2015 10:00 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "new" Barco 1500 didn't come with a Dallas Key. Is each KEY good only for one specific projector? I can buy a new key for only $25 but how to program it? Do I need to call Barco? And what information do I need for them?

Help please!

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2015 05:27 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can, just loggin to projector via communicator and go to key menagement somewhere and add new key, as well confirmation password.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-21-2015 08:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was a new projector...the key was in the "Lid" of the shipping box in a ziplock bag with the "manual." The key is available as a separate part from Barco and is part of the ibutton series (google it) from other suppliers.

Yes, you can add different keys to the approved list (something like 4 or 5). If you have others in the complex you can use them on the new projector. If you don't want to try to read the key's number off of the key...you can use the key, let it fail and then look at the logs for what key just tried to be used...the full number will be there.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2015 01:47 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you need good light to read those tiny numbers!

I can manage it unaided if the light is decent.Sometimes I have to resort to a lens. I wonder if one could photograph it with a mobile phone?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-22-2015 03:51 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
I wonder if one could photograph it with a mobile phone?
As I get older, I find that reading fine text in anything but the most idea light is becoming increasingly difficult - especially when I have my contacts in. Taking a picture with my phone and then zooming is the way I frequently get around this, including how I read the number on the Dallas key to my projector.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-22-2015 04:00 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's way isn't all that stupid.

Maybe Barco could come up with some interface improvements. Create a list of "failed keys" including a timestamp when it was last tried to use them and authorize them via a simple push on the button.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-22-2015 08:22 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker

As I get older, I find that reading fine text in anything but the most idea light is becoming increasingly difficult...

No, my arms are just getting shorter. [Wink]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-22-2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very handy:

Magnifying Glass (android)

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-22-2015 05:48 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan:
You can use the key from one of your other projectors for it, one key will work on any number of projectors.
I think any iButton key will work, but I haven't tried any that didn't come with a projector.
You need to read the 3 number fields on the iButton back: 2 characters, a bunch, and 2 more. They are hexadecimal numbers, from 0-9 plus A,B,C,D. Frigging small numbers but readable in the right light depending on your eyes, a magnifier is good or use a digital camera or phone camera that focuses close.
You need a PC with Communicator - you have that - or a touchpanel, I think you have one somewhere?
Connect to the projector, log in as st, go to installation/advanced/"manage security keys", click the "read" icon at top left and the active keys will show up. You can click the "used" one or a blank one (since you don't have the key for the "used" one)... then click the "write" icon at lower left. Enter the numbers off the key, they give you a little picture of the key to fill in. Enter a password, for S1 the normal password is  - ; for S2 it's  - .
Click the save icon at top right.
Done.

[ 04-23-2015, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-22-2015 06:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Passwords are not supposed to be posted I believe

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-22-2015 07:24 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well true, but if someone has the st password they can both see the original one and change it to whatever they want.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-23-2015 01:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter, that's the default password and it wouldn't exist if it was intended to have been posted publicly.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-23-2015 08:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also have no idea if any person on this forum has the authority to make changes to a projector. As such, it is never a good idea to publicly post ANY passwords. Even minor ones. I guarantee that there is a legitimate way for an authorized person to obtain what they need.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-23-2015 01:41 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to be fair... default passwords aren't there for protection, they are there, because the system enforces a password to be present and the owner of the equipment is supposed to change it to something else. If it was me, every system would be programmed with a unique password before it's shipped to the customer, but since that costs a few bucks extra, vendors usually don't go that route.

I know it's the policy of this site. But default passwords are more like part of the documentation, than really there to protect anything.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-23-2015 07:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The password doesn't show in the documentation. Furthermore, the password you were ready to show is the high-level password too.

You can fault Barco for making a high-level password the one that is there at the ready.

Regardless, it is NEVER a good idea to post ANY password in a public forum

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: