Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DTS:X for Cinemas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: DTS:X for Cinemas
Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2015 04:58 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS held their press event today to formally announce DTS:X. Much of the focus has been on DTS:X as a consumer format to render MDA based object-based mixes, but they did reveal some details about how MDA playback is going to be implemented in cinemas, including the new (to me anyway) information that the DTS:X brand will be used in cinema as well as home theatre:

DTS Press Release

(snip)
DTS:X + CINEMA
In 1993, DTS revolutionized cinema sound, delivering "Jurassic Park's" award-winning 5.1-channel soundtrack on CD-ROM, which was synchronized to the picture using a time code printed on the film. Twenty-two years later, DTS:X, the industry's newest audio solution, is no longer limited to channels or tied to a speaker layout and is now delivered as part of the Digital Cinema Package.
The foundation of DTS:X is MDA, DTS' license fee-free, open platform for creation of object-based immersive audio. MDA gives movie studios unprecedented control over the specific placement, movement and volume of sound objects. The platform also enables sound engineers to "mix once" for both immersive and conventional cinemas in a combined object- and channel-based audio format, allowing content to be easily distributed beyond the theater for streaming, broadcast, optical media and more.
"MDA is DTS' license fee-free contribution to the professional audio community for mixing and storage of immersive audio content," said Kirchner. "MDA fits perfectly within today's production workflow, and a combination of MDA and DTS:X provides a complete end-to-end workflow, from creation to exhibition."
The DTS:X licensing program in cinema will offer theater owners the opportunity to provide their audience the most compelling, immersive sound experience possible. This can be achieved for almost any room configuration by installing DTS:X-approved equipment and working with the recommended speaker installation guidelines.
To ensure quality and provide flexibility within the DTS:X program, DTS has partnered with industry-leading server, sound rendering and processing companies. GDC Technology, QSC and USL, have developed and made available DTS:X-ready components that process and render MDA files.
GDC Technology - develops, manufactures and sells digital cinema servers and provides a comprehensive suite of digital cinema products, services and solutions for exhibitors and distributors
QSC - designs and manufactures professional audio systems and solutions for professional installed, portable, production and cinema sound customers worldwide
USL - is engaged in the design, manufacture, and sale of motion picture audio equipment and sound processors
GDC Technology is an initial partner integrating DTS:X into theaters.
GDC Technology - boasts the largest installed base of digital cinema servers in the Asia-Pacific region, and the second largest, globally
GDC is the worldwide DTS:X certification agent with an exclusive in Asia
GDC will make MDA firmware updates available to theater owners over to its existing installed server base of more than 40,000 servers starting in May 2015
GDC will provide DTS:X installation and certification for approximately 350 screens throughout Asia beginning in May 2015
"GDC is committed to offering state-of-the-art technology to its customers. We chose DTS:X because we believe it will transform the movie theater experience for audiences around the world," said Dr. Man-Nang Chong, founder and CEO of GDC Technology. "Theater owners will appreciate the easy integration and flexible solutions that DTS:X offers as they upgrade their screens to this superior sound experience. Audiences win too. Because of the flexibility in speaker layout that DTS:X offers, immersive audio is now available to a larger number of theaters of all sizes than ever before."
DTS is presently working with several major studios and mixing stages in Los Angeles, Northern California and Canada that are evaluating DTS:X. DTS:X content announcements will be made by the studios when ready, in alignment with DTS. (snip)

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-09-2015 09:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured DTS:X would be destined for the cinema somehow. It would have seemed a bit pointless to develop an object oriented audio format just for the home market and consumer electronics.

I'm still wondering how DTS:X is going to roll out into movie theaters. The partnerships going on between Datasat, DTS & Barco have me thinking DTS:X could in one way be intended as an upgrade for theaters already using Auro. The format obviously would be an alternative to Dolby Atmos for theaters operators looking to upgrade some existing 5.1 or 7.1 equipped theaters or be a possible choice for a new movie theater.

quote: DTS:X Press Release
"MDA is DTS' license fee-free contribution to the professional audio community for mixing and storage of immersive audio content," said Kirchner. "MDA fits perfectly within today's production workflow, and a combination of MDA and DTS:X provides a complete end-to-end workflow, from creation to exhibition."
That raises a question about content creation. If MDA is open source, can we expect to see companies like Apple, Adobe, Avid and Sony incorporate MDA creative capabilities into their audio-video editing products?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2015 10:08 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I wonder how and where speaker placement will be different than what Dolby Atmos offers

I gather 'Jurassic World' would not be the first title released theatrically as such (or could it)?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 03:47 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Datasat bring DTS:X to the AP20? It doesn't even have to be a free upgrade for existing installs. But this could be a game changer for object based sound and MDA for medium and small sized theaters.

Dolby Atmos is still way to expensive for anything but the most premium auditoriums at any given location. Combine this with their own brand dilution and Dolby Atmos alone is still a hard sell.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 09:22 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
new news:

"The Brenden Theater at Las Vegas’ Palm Hotel has already been equipped with DTS:X, and DTS plans to demonstrate the system in this venue at CinemaCon, which takes place April 20-23.

DTS is currently targeting cinemas in North America and Asia. GDC Technology is DTS’ DTS:X integration partner in the Asia-Pacific region, and its projecting roughly 350 installations by this summer."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-10-2015 10:26 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way to do object-based surround sound correctly without it costing quite a lot of money.

Nevertheless, Dolby is going to have to lower the price of the CP-850 down to a more reasonable (and competitive) level. An Atmos installation needs the CP-850, at least one DAC3201 unit that costs a few grand and two DAC3201 units if you're going to have more than 48 amplified channels. And then you have all the speakers, amplifiers and any other IT-related stuff needed if you're going to be sending audio over Ethernet with Dolby Connect. It's easy for a well configured Dolby Atmos sound system to cost North of $100,000.

I don't know the current list price of the CP-850, other than it is under $30,000 now. The first Dolby Digital DA-10 packages cost around $20,000 in 1992, but Dolby cut the list price in half by 1995 with the DA-20 and ran pricing specials matching the $5900 list price of the DTS-6. Dolby Atmos is nearly 3 years old, so it's probably time for some serious price cuts on gear. The arrival of DTS:X will probably force that to happen.

What is the list price of the Barco/Datasat AP24 used for Auro 11.1 installations? I saw one article claim it costs $25,000. With Auro, I suppose the big cost savings for theaters is not having to individually amplify so many surround speakers.

The situation with DTS:X seems far more murky. Its MDA format can do everything Atmos does, but the press releases are light on specifics about recommended speaker locations, amplification requirements and even how the DTS:X track is rendered in different sound processors from different companies.

My fear with DTS:X is some theaters (or maybe a lot of them) will have little more than a 5.1 or 7.1 based sound system and merely add just another couple of amplifiers to get a tiny bit of height information into the sound field. There won't be any way to distinguish these next-gen sound done cheap theaters from the theaters that spend a lot more money doing DTS:X the right way, where it sounds as good as a well configured Atmos installation.

Even Dolby has relaxed its standards a little. Not every Atmos installation has sub-bass cabinets in the surrounds. An Atmos theater can have as little as 9.1 amplified channels or as much as 64.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 10:35 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike Cinemas, a leader in digital cinema and 3D cinema deployments and one of the largest motion picture exhibitors in the US, will upgrade selected theaters to DTS:X beginning in Spring 2015.
Carmike 15 (Columbus, Ga.)
Carmike Movies ATL 278 (Atlanta, Ga.)
Chapel Hills 13 (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
Rosemont 18 (Rosemont, Ill.)
Thoroughbred 20 (Franklin, Tenn.)
Thousand Oaks 14 (Thousand Oaks, Calif.)
Valley Bend 18 (Huntsville, Ala.)
“We believe in the open platform philosophy of DTS:X and are excited to be among the first theater partners to be onboard,” said Fred Van Noy, senior vice president and chief operating officer, Carmike Cinemas. “The flexibility of DTS:X allows us to deliver an immersive experience to a broader audience. We love the fact that DTS:X adapts not only to numerous room designs; it also enables us to continue working with our existing equipment provider, QSC."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-10-2015 01:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a big decision from Carmike, although they could simply be choosing the least expensive method to get a next-gen sound format into their premium priced Big-D auditoriums.

Only one of their Big-D houses is equipped with Atmos (a theater in Illinois) and only one other Big-D is equipped with Auro (a screen in Georgia).

Carmike is building a new 13-screen theater here in Lawton. One of the screens will be a premium priced big screen theater, but at this point I don't know if it will be a Big-D screen or an IMAX-branded screen. Odds are it will be a Big-D though. If that's the case it will be interesting to see if it has DTS:X and how far Carmike goes with its installation, whether it's slightly better than 7.1 surround or something comparable to a proper Atmos installation.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 09:04 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few comments:

The USL DAX-16N can be used instead of the Dolby DAC3201 with the CP850 for D/A conversion. The DAX-16N does quite a bit more. It has DE-15 outputs and lets you monitor processor and amplifier levels and stream audio to a web browser for remote monitoring. More info at http://www.uslinc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=81&category_id=26&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=108 .

The USL CMS-2200 can play DTS MDA content. More info at http://www.uslinc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=78&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66 .

USL is an active participant in various SMPTE standards committees, including the interoperable immersive sound bitstream group. There's a LOT going on there!

Harold

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2015 01:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But to have DTS-X does the theater have to use a GDC server? That's a point that seems to be inferred, but has been glazed over.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-11-2015 04:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daniel Schulz
DTS:X-approved equipment and working with the recommended speaker installation guidelines.
To ensure quality and provide flexibility within the DTS:X program, DTS has partnered with industry-leading server, sound rendering and processing companies. GDC Technology, QSC and USL

USL is specifically mentioned as well. Furthermore
quote: Daniel Schulz
The foundation of DTS:X is MDA, DTS' license fee-free, open platform for creation of object-based immersive audio. MDA gives movie studios unprecedented control over the specific placement, movement and volume of sound objects.
Since it is license free and open...it more than implies ANYONE can jump on in. DTS may desire to partner with GDC or anyone else to help get the product out but I doubt they would be too exclusionary. The end game for them is going to be the home...where DTS is dominate in the Blu-Ray market and I'm sure would like to be dominate any other medialess based content. Cinema would, at best, be a marketing means for that.

More of an eyebrow raise would be the lack of mention of Datasat and having the AP20 or next generation processor be DTS:X feature laden.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-11-2015 05:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Carmike is building a new 13-screen theater here in Lawton. One of the screens will be a premium priced big screen theater, but at this point I don't know if it will be a Big-D screen or an IMAX-branded screen. Odds are it will be a Big-D though. If that's the case it will be interesting to see if it has DTS:X and how far Carmike goes with its installation, whether it's slightly better than 7.1 surround or something comparable to a proper Atmos installation.
I was driving through the West side of Lawton earlier this afternoon and passed the construction site of the new theater. Construction site signs were recently installed. The theater will be called the Patriot 13 and it will feature an IMAX branded house.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-12-2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A standard AP20 does not have the necessary audio I/O for a decent MDA system. However, already now, multiple AP20 can be slaved.

USLs CMS-2200 has a completely different approach to MDA rendering. Harold - do you know wether there are already plans to extend the number of pre-rendered playout channels with USLs new breed of external D/A converters?

Practically, a CMS-2200 could become a very affordable object based audio solution compared to current Dolby offerings. It would also make the CMS-2200 even more attractive to customers. With the completion of the digital rollout, incentives like this will become very important to sustain sales.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-12-2015 03:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no. What are the percentage of Surround 7.1 theatres are there out there? I ask because that is practically a ZERO cost item. For new builds, it is the cost of 2 amplifier channels (and there are many 4-channel amplifier offerings out there) and often breaks the surround array up into more power efficient loads anyway. For existing systems, it is normally, again, the cost of an amplifier and some minor rewiring. I'm curious as to how well it was adopted.

I know in our installations...if the surrounds were already effectively wired for it, then we wired it as Surround 7.1. That said, it is a hassle for a theatre if all screens are not capable as one has to keep track of multiple prints (like 2D/3D) to ensure the extra format doesn't wind up in the wrong theatre. What would have been a nifty feature (and you can do it with the JSD60, for instance) is to let the processor sum Ls/BLs and likewise for the right side for 5.1 systems...then it would take the burden of keeping them straight off of the scheduler.

I would think a chief cost to the whole "immersive" audio thing is the actual cost of the speakers, amps, wiring and INSTALLATION. For new builds, it can be designed in but for retrofits...pathways for anchoring speakers at the proper locations could be more difficult/expensive. If if the CP850 was $0 so you only had to pay for the speakers/amps/wiring and installation (as well as the DSP to get all of those channels to where they need to get to)...you still have a VERY expensive sound format. How many EXTRA tickets does one have to sell to get a ROI? In what markets is will the ROI make sense? I claim VERY few. Having immersive audio formats show up in the PLF theatres makes some amount of sense because you are charging a premium under the guise that the experience will be superior. Not just the sound be the entire show. In this respect, I think Dolby has the right idea in that one should make the entire movie experience superior and not just focus on one aspect (picture or sound). People are not going to appreciate the nuance of technicalities (never have). In big markets you will get more sophisticated people seeking out high-end systems but you can't build an industry around such a small percentage.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2015 10:33 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope Datasat can build a single upgrade card for one of the slots that would add the necessary IO, but I guess that's a wait-and-see...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: