Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC 1200 LPSU Error

Author Topic: NEC 1200 LPSU Error
Chris Daigle
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2015 06:16 PM      Profile for Chris Daigle   Email Chris Daigle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. Earlier today, we had a projector (NEC 1200) shut down on us with the message: "ERROR!! LPSU OVER TEMP". Over the last several years I've had a couple of LPSU FAIL error messages which resulted in the purchase of new power supplies, but we haven't seen the Over Temp message. The booth itself is not hot, about 68 degrees F and there is plenty of exhaust on the projector and the filters are all changed regularly. I actually removed the power supply itself a short time ago and replaced the two rear 24v fans with two newer ones from a spare unit we have, but when I put it all back in and turned on the projector, within a couple of seconds it comes back with the same error. After being totally off for several hours, I know that the unit itself is not hot, but is there some kind of a reset procedure on the projector to turn off the error, or am I looking at yet another new power supply purchase?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-07-2015 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So is it an intake Temperature problem or internal to the LPSU? You can use the DCC to see what the projector thinks the temp is. INFO>LOG>System Status. You can also look at the Temperature log to see if it has been rising.

I don't think you can get the LPSU to give its own temperature status...it may just be the LPSU merely complaining and not giving any reason other than a sensor says so. That is, it could be a sensor failure or the control system within the LPSU sending out incorrect information. Or it could be the projector's sensor that has an issue. The thing to start with is to see if the projector itself thinks the temp is too hot and see if the sensor's reading seems way off (compare it to another projector).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-08-2015 03:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have had several of them fail in that mode reporting that even with the lamp off
Unless you are a theatre in Japan NEC will not fix the power supplies and the manufacturer Rubicon will not release any service info on them

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2015 05:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt the NC-1200's were the best reason to actually buy the NC-2000! I had one NC-1200 power supply fail under warranty but it was replaced pronto. I only have about a half dozen NC-1200's in service. The NC-2000 has a better supply made by Sanrex.

Mark

Chris Daigle
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Chris Daigle   Email Chris Daigle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our tech showed up to diagnose this problem and apparently, for the "LPSU Over Temp" error on the 1200, there was a relatively easy (and inexpensive!) fix. He ended up having to snip the red wire on the ribbon cable inside the power supply. Not sure what that controls, but he simply cut it, re-installed it and the issue went away.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-10-2015 05:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt...it is related to the temp sensor in the power supply itself. It is good to know about the red wire.

As a percentage, I think our NC2000 LPSU are equally problematic though not horribly so. NEC has also switched the NC1200 LPSU and Igniter to Sanrex. Thus far, our power supply failures are actual failures...they are dead as a door nail.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 06:58 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll guess the red wire will be the signalling cable for the temperature sensor? [Smile]

The problem with this hack is obviously that you will now not be warned about any REAL temperature problems inside the PSU itself. If it's just the temperature sensor at fault here and not a controller behind it, wouldn't it make sense to just solder a new one in place for a few cents?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of Homer Simpson covering the 'check engine' warning light with a piece of tape.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: