Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » New THX Trailer - Eclipse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: New THX Trailer - Eclipse
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-01-2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received a letter from THX stating that there is a new logo trailer, called Eclipse.

30-second and 45-second versions are available in 5.1 and 7.1, and there is also a 30-second version for ATMOS.

The new trailer features a new version of THX 'Deep Note audio mark', "regenerated" at Skywalker Ranch by Deep Note's original composer, Dr. James "Andy" Moorer.

I'll get to take a look at it today.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's THX? [sleep]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-01-2015 03:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need a new trailer from Dolby. Sphere is now what, 4 years old? And Countdown is at least five.

Somebody on here (I'm talking to you, Joe Redifer) should produce a cool musical "stereo surround sound" trailer (non-branded). Add the theater's logo to it and it would be worth some bucks. I would love to buy such a product IF the sound was good on it.

The key word is "musical." I'd like to hear something that isn't necessarily bombastic and loud and scares old ladies (like Sphere does), but melodic and sounds amazing and shows off the surrounds.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-01-2015 03:58 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many new Dolby trailers. You just need to upgrade!

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also an updated Dolby Atmos Unfold trailer.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-01-2015 04:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The key word is "musical." I'd like to hear something that isn't necessarily bombastic and loud and scares old ladies (like Sphere does), but melodic and sounds amazing and shows off the surrounds.
I always loved the Dolby Train trailer. Maybe not extremely melodic, but nonetheless an amazing demo of what can be done with good surround sound.

As far as I know, it never made it into a DCP version. I found a decent version on a DVD once, but it's interlaced and looks ugly after being deinterlaced and upscaled to 2K, no matter how many filters you put over it...

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2015 05:46 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EXCITING!! Can't wait to see it!!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-01-2015 06:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are so many new Dolby trailers. You just need to upgrade!
No I don't because the current equipment is working just fine. The idea is to give the audience something new once in a while. I shouldn't have to spend a zillion dollars on un-needed upgrades to do that, especially when I am PROMOTING THEIR BRAND NAME.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2015 08:50 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To bad Dolby does not do any advertising these days about what theatres have the Dolby Atmos system. Many years ago when Dolby Digital came out they had signs/banners all over the theatre and box office about the new digital sound. Only 3 cinemas have the Atmos system in place in San Francisco and they have no signs or banners outside the theatre or near the entrance of what auditorium is showing the new system. A nice one sheet that they can keep up inside would be a nice touch. At least the 2 chains that do have this system do play the Dolby Atmos logo before the movie starts! The managers need to plug what they have. I think Dolby will send them banners and signs to advertise the Atmos sound system If they have it. Or maybe they have a charge for them and the managers/circuits don't want to pay for the material? My gym is next to Dolby in SF, next time I'll try to talk to someone about this problem and maybe they will give me some items and I can personally bring to the 3 theatres to help promote Atmos. I don't even work for Dolby but have always loved their surround sound.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-01-2015 08:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the new THX trailer. It's pretty much _just_ the Deep Note building up to the familiar climax. And the visuals are cool to look at.

I know what you mean about Dolby's "Spheres" trailer being bombastic and frightening li'l ole ladies. THX "Amazing Life" evoked a similar reaction.

THX "Eclipse" is probably about as low-key as it could get.

Now I just need to figure out which movie to debut it with...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-01-2015 11:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Somebody on here (I'm talking to you, Joe Redifer) should produce a cool musical "stereo surround sound" trailer (non-branded).
Careful what you wish for! I have some free time next week I think.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-02-2015 12:03 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why Dolby should invest time and money on promoting a) a pretty much dead format (Dolby Digital for cinema) or b) a format that does not belong to them (pcm) or anyway that any other manufacturer can playback with the same exact result.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2015 12:35 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren ran the 30 second version in Atmos at the Broken Arrow location when I was there two weekends ago.

I liked it! [thumbsup]

AJG

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2015 12:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like to see some new Real D tags along with some ATMOS tags to download for SP usage.

Barco does have one nifty tag called "Barco Stinger"

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-02-2015 05:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a simple matter to use KDMs to ensure the Dolby trailers only play on "Dolby" equipment (which includes Doremi now). Or only issue the KDM if there is a CP650, 750 or 850 registered to that server.

However, I agree, Dolby has everything to gain to keep the Dolby brand associated with cinema and movies in general. DTS has no cinema presence anymore so they could keep in consumer's mind that movies = Dolby.

They are way overdue for having new snipes for Dolby Digital Cinema, 7.1, and Dolby 3D. And while 7.1 can't really be proprietary to Dolby...having it associated with Dolby only benefits the Dolby brand. No other brand can really capitalize on it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: