Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » LINUX FORMATED CONTENT HARD DISC NOT READABLE IN TMS

Author Topic: LINUX FORMATED CONTENT HARD DISC NOT READABLE IN TMS
Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2015 11:18 PM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All

Our TMS Not Readable All External Linux Formatted Hard Disc

Our TMS Is Screen writer

Any Option To Reading LINUX Formatted Hard Disc In TMS

Thanks And Regards And Happy EASTER To All

Shibupaul

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-29-2015 11:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick and dirty solution would be to boot a PC into an Ubuntu (or other Linux distro that supports multiple hard drive formats) installation CD, and attach your Linux drive using USB, plus another one formatted such that your TMS can read it (e.g. NTFS or exFAT). Then, using live mode, copy the content from your Linux (ext2 or ext3, I'm guessing) drive to the "known good" one and ingest from that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2015 11:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Annli - please edit your post and lose the SCREAMING ALL CAPS.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2015 11:34 PM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for my English

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-30-2015 05:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are specific formatting requirements for DCinema aside from the EXT2/EXT3 formatting. If your computer is a windows based machine, then you should also consider obtaining a suitable program that will let your computer read EXT drives such as EXT2IFS. Note, to install it, you normally need to put the installer in "Vista" compatibility mode. There is a free version floating out there on the internet.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-30-2015 06:09 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any experience with the Screenwriter TMS. Does it offer content ingestion from the client via the web interface? How are you trying to ingest the content? From the TMS client or from a disk hooked up on the TMS server?

If you're trying to ingest from a disk connected to the client, like Steve already mentioned, you need software on this client PC that allows you to read Linux filesystems. What you need depends on your Operating System. For Windows, there are multiple tools, I've used Ext2ifs (the one Steve mentioned) successfully in the past.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-30-2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the Arts Alliance Screenwriter TMS. Although not a huge player it's a full featured TMS with some interesting capabilities. They say it "supports" Linux and Windows, I'm not sure what that means: a Windows OS installation might use the native I/O which, of course, doesn't support Linux filesystems.
However - I can't believe any TMS system would be unable to mount EXT2 drives - it's the standard format for distribution drives in North America (no clue what the rest of the world uses but I've seen some sketchy drives for Indian films).
Call or email Arts Alliance and ask what's going on. Possibly whoever installed the system screwed up big time.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-30-2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
...you should also consider obtaining a suitable program that will let your computer read EXT drives such as EXT2IFS. Note, to install it, you normally need to put the installer in "Vista" compatibility mode.
I prefer simply to have Linux PCs in the booth (Ubuntu being my preferred flavor) that can read and write every common volume format natively rather than mess around with add-ons for Windows. It's not just ext2/3 that someone in an arthouse/rep venue might need to worry about. A lot of independent filmmakers and small distributors provide HFS or HFS+ (Apple Mac) format drives, exFAT ones can crop up (which pre-Windows 7 versions can't read) and at least one distributor (Kino Lorber) distributes NTFS drives as well.

It is possible to get add-ons for Windows to deal with both ext2/3 and HFS/HFS+, but a lot of the ones floating around the net either cost, have malware built into the installers, don't work reliably with certain versions of Windows unless you use compatibility mode workarounds, or a combination thereof. Likewise, you can also get add-ons for Macs that add NTFS writing, but similar caveats apply. The reason I like Ubuntu is that it can simply format, read and write everything you're likely to encounter. If you need Windows, then you can partition and dual-boot your machine (which is what I've done with the ones in our booths), using a utility such as EasyBCD.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-30-2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, if the TMS has it's own windows based ingest process, a Linux machine is of little help. In this case, it might just be a defective disc, or an inode size of 256.

Yes, you could use a linux system to diagnose.

Rebooting the TMS server could also help.

- Carsten

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2015 06:23 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have AAM TMS on a windows Server / PC, try installing Disk Internals its a free software that read Linux Drives and make them recognizable by Windows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: