Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2K-8Sx (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Barco DP2K-8Sx
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2015 09:34 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Barco has a new (or new-ish) projector I haven't noticed before. It's made for smaller screens, and meant for 26ft wide screens as opposed to the DP2K-10S which went up to 33ft.

Anyone have any experience with the new machine? Or does anyone have any idea how much one of the 8Sx cost compared to a 10s?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-29-2015 12:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8S is notably cheaper than the 10S...for no known reason...they are identical except the 8S is limited to 1.6KW lamps (same power supply though). As for screen width, note that all of the manufacturers cheat on that because they base the screen width on gain screens that will prevent you from hitting light uniformity specs. It is about a 6000 lumen projector, depending on the lens.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2015 03:23 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed quite a few, recently with the Alchemy ICMP on board.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-29-2015 03:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are you liking (or not) the ICMP (Alchemy) module? How does it stand up to other servers? Any annoying quirks with it?

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
so if they're cheating, what are the actual max screen widths would you say?

Also, how much cheaper? Are we talking $20k for the 10s and $12k for the 8sx? 20 and 18? What?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-29-2015 05:21 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using the Christie Calculator - which I found very well made - it seems that 6000 lumens are suitable for 9.9m Scope matte white screen (it seems that Barco did not cheat on the values this time!)

That means that with a brand new projector, brand new lamp, brand new screen, no porthole glass, you'll achieve 14fL on screen.

Hence, you will have to account to colour calibration, glass, screen and equipment ageing, lamp ageing.

Probably a 7/7.5m Scope screen is a more real world figure.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-29-2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using my calculations that do allow for aging, color correction and port hole loss...about 23' (7m) wide screen, max.

On the up side, we are finding the DXL-16BAF to be a phenomenal lamp with very good aging properties. I'll admit, we haven't really tested it in the "S" series projectors but in the "C" series it has been an incredible performer...probably close to 80% of the light of the 2KW. It is a very short arc lamp so it is quite efficient.

The last time I checked the Christie speadsheet...it definitely cheated the light a bit...it may have been updated in that time. I normally just use my own since I KNOW it works and it isn't brand specific though it lacks the niceties of telling you which model of lens to select...just the actual TR you need.

I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but it is thousands different than the 10s...and again it is the SAME projector but with a chip that tells it to not operate above 1.6KW.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, there's a significant price difference. £ figures may not correlate with NZ.

Steve, we avoided using it until the frequency of software updates dropped [Wink] Thus far it's been good. The web UI is clean and simple, the Commander application is better still.
Setup is a little confusing as one does it neither through the web UI or Commander, but through Communicator.

The current RAID size could be limiting for some cinema, but it's easy to get it to work with external storage.

The HDMI port currently doesn't support embedded audio or 4K, I have it on good authority that on the next software release it will support both. I guess the same is true for the Displayport.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-29-2015 07:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got from the release notes that they disabled the audio from HDMI. I have since heard that it had to do with it not working well and it would have drops/robosound. Better to not boast that it works when it doesn't and wait until it is working properly.

So does one have a special shutdown procedure for it like with either GDC's SX3000 or the Doremi IMS1000 where one has to shut down the server before the projector or can one just kill power (or go into sleep mode for the "S" projectors)?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-29-2015 08:31 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8S/Sx is around for over a year now. It is just a 'software-strip-down' of the 10Sx, limited to lower rated lamps. They created it in order to compete with Sonys SRX-R510 and NECs NC900C on the lower end for smaller screens. The difference in price can be as much as 2000-4000US$. It is certainly a bargain, because the build-quality is still the same as the 10Sx, which is a real series-II machine with all options (except, of cause, higher rated lamps ;-)

- Carsten

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2015 03:12 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest I am not 100% on that, we've been following a routine of putting it to sleep before powering down.

That said I have had occasion to crash the power during playback, the GUI reported 'server crashed off' and was ready to where it left off on rebooting.

I'm dealing with one right now that appears to have an ill RAID controller, BUT it had multiple power bumps within minutes of each other.

There's no easy way to connect a UPS on these things. It can be done with a bit of a wiring hack though.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-30-2015 06:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The site I'm considering it for only needs DCP for about 5% of its video performances so the DCinema device needs to be pretty transparent to the projector's user and just be a source. The projector has to have HDMI or HDMI like inputs (DVI/DisplayPort) for the other 95% of their video performances.

If this doesn't handle just projector power downs, I could then see going with something like the DCP2000/2K4 (Doremi) and just use the good old HDSDI approach with something like a DP2K-12C or CP2215...but an 8S or 10S would just fit this job so neatly if the server wasn't a user burden.

Edgar Prass
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2015 07:28 AM      Profile for Edgar Prass   Email Edgar Prass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, what sort of external storage can be used with the Alchemy board?

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2015 04:28 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the launch of the 10s is there any reason for the 12c. The 10s can even take a slightly brighter lamp. The 12c does have the better chip with slightly better contrast.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-31-2015 06:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...the 12C is a notably better projector in many ways.

It is more light efficient. It literally costs you DOUBLE to light a 10S to almost as bright as a 12C (a 2.2KW lasts half as long as a 2KW and the 12C gets to about 9500 lumens on a 2KW versus the 10S running a 2.2KW at about 9000 lumens). The 12C can use the 2.2KW lamp so it now has a top of range at nearly 11,000 lumens (that 2.2KW lamp is a very short arc so it will be notably more light efficient than other lamps).

The 12C has HDCP compliant DVI inputs, the 10S relies on an IMB to supply such inputs which means the server must become part of non DCP shows

The 12C has a notably better contrast ratio

The 12C can use a UPS on the electronics (without having to do non-authorized rewiring)

The 12C lensing has better repeatability on their presets.

If you are in a complex with other B or C projectors, your component interchangeability is higher for fewer spare types to keep on hand.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: