Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Kinoton DMS-DC1 scaler colour is wrong

Author Topic: Kinoton DMS-DC1 scaler colour is wrong
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2015 07:34 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

We have a Kinoton DMS-DC1 scaler at our site for things like VGA hookups.

I noticed today that regardless of the input signal going into it (hdmi / vga / dvi) the colours on screen seem a little shifted toward yellow compared to the projector test patterns and a direct HDMI > DVI connector input to one of the projector DVI ports.

I have looked around in the scaler menu for some settings to correct this, but I cannot see anything. Does anyone have any ideas what i should be looking for?

Its important I get this sorted pronto, we have a film festival coming up where a lot of entries are going to be played via my PC for convienience, so i can switch inputs with a HDMI feed from a laptop running the intro powerpoints (which is going straight into the projector)

cheers

EDIT:
i am aware its not a particularly great scaler, but its what we have and we cannot afford another one at the moment. I really dont think it should be messing with the colours of any content.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-28-2015 07:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What projector? Cinema projectors usually have assorted color spaces you can use, possibly the scaler input has the wrong one selected?

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2015 08:01 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its a barco dp2k-12c

i havent actually thought to check the projector colourspace for that dvi input from the scaler.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2015 03:25 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the PCF assigned in the relevant macro. Should be Rec709

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-29-2015 03:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...you do need to check the PCF as Pete notes and also make sure you are selecting the correct MCGD (colors).

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2015 04:58 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now checked the projector configuration. all 4 of our macros using both the DVI input ports are using the Rec709 and Measured Colour profiles. So it isnt that.

Any other ideas?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Factory reset on the scaler? Although there's not much to adjust on those.

Try a DVI source straight in to the projector, then via the scaler.

Exchange the DVI cable between the scaler and projector.

Try the other DVI port.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2015 06:33 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive pretty much already done all that. only thing i havent tried is swapping the dvi port on the projector.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK well the most relevant experiment is to try bypassing the scaler and see if the colour changes.

If it does, then it suggests that the scaler is indeed at fault and needs repair.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2015 04:00 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: never mind, figured it out

For whatever reason, selecting another colour profile for the DVI ports and reselecting Rec709 in communicator has now sorted it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: