Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Panavision 3D System for Barco DP2000

Author Topic: Panavision 3D System for Barco DP2000
Angelo D'Alessio
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2015 09:46 AM      Profile for Angelo D'Alessio   Email Angelo D'Alessio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am desperately looking for the “Panavision 3D System for BARCO DP2000 Projector -
Installation and Operating Guide”.
Is there anyone who can help me?
Best regards

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-27-2015 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried contacting Panavision? I know someone who has one and it is very similar to Dolby 3D, with a filter wheel installed in the projector.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2015 10:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you just need the documentation on how to put it in or are you seeking the device itself?

Angelo D'Alessio
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2015 11:17 AM      Profile for Angelo D'Alessio   Email Angelo D'Alessio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve for the answer.
Note to Steve Kraus: I have tried contacting Panavision. They do not handle, or sell, anymore 3D kit. No Panavision person is now dedicated to this old 3D Panavision kit.
I have the documentation for the Dolby 3D kit but it’s not useful because only the filter wheel is the same as the Panavision kit. The electronic and the physical layout are completely different.
Note to Steve Guttag: I am seeking the documentation to service the broken kit. However, if you have info on the availability of the device it’s wise to know.
Best regards

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2015 12:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge, everything but the wheel was identical to the Dolby 3D mechanism. They are doing essentially the same thing, after all. The instructions are in the service manual for the 3D kit, including board replacement. If it is the same as the Dolby3D board, it is part number R765355K. I don't know about now but a while ago Barco wouldn't sell just the board.

Angelo D'Alessio
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2015 03:29 AM      Profile for Angelo D'Alessio   Email Angelo D'Alessio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve.
Regards
Angelo

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2015 11:21 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you even still get glasses?

We found it didn't work nearly as well as claimed in terms of light, well if you followed the book and used their look up tables you did get more light than Dolby 3D but unacceptable cross talk. As it was basically Dolby 3D with the filters in different places we tried running the Dolby 3D wizard. Crosstalk now very good, light now worse than Dolby.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2015 01:33 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was servicing a system about a year ago and was trying to find the calculation for color correction. I believe there was a excel spreadsheet that was used for this.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-28-2015 03:08 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Panasonic 3D was using 6 filters and not 3 as Dolby do?

The main downside was that if the server required a Dolby license for the correction, you were stuck with the projector correction, which does not take into account light balancing.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2015 05:32 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chase, you are correct.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2015 05:50 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone still have this spreadsheet?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: