Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automation: accessing current clip info

Author Topic: Automation: accessing current clip info
Dave Young
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2015 12:09 PM      Profile for Dave Young   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a chink in the wall I can try to dig into here.
I have a need to get to the DCP (clip) package info running on the projector, and be able to extract it's name and length for use in external automation cases.

I havent yet seen any system macros by any of the providers which will do a "run-time" replacement of this info for use in an automation cue

This makes me wonder if there's a way to get to the information in a different way, perhaps by I/O?

I the only solution caveat is that it can't involve asking Christie/DoReMi/GDC to add DCP info support to their automation cues

EDIT: Found DCI Spec, will dig into it to see if it helps

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2015 01:52 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to know more of what you're trying to do. Could the markers specified in SMPTE 429-7 do what you need? There are, for example, markers for:

FFEC First Frame of End Credits. First displayable frame of content that contains any intensity of the End Credits (a non zero alpha value), which appear at the end of a feature.

LFMC Last displayable frame of content that contains any intensity of moving, rolling or scrolling credits (a non-zero alpha value), which appear at the end of the feature.

And a bunch more... Servers can generate an automation cue based on these markers.

Harold

Dave Young
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2015 09:06 PM      Profile for Dave Young   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to build a system that figures out which trailer is playing so I can better automate some web/based services.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2015 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you looked at the various APIs? Since the sophisticated TMS systems have no problem displaying what is currently on screen...this information is available on the WEB APIs.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-22-2015 07:27 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any ideas on how to use the Dolby API's? I can operate a Doremi via ethernet commands but I still have to grasp how to do so on a Dolby. If anybody could show me the route I'd be grateful! [Smile]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-22-2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - a colleague built his own foyer information system based on the Doremi API. His software requests 'now playing' info from playlists and creates webpages for his displays, shows the movie posters, etc.

Locally, it displays an overview about all his screens, remaining time, etc.

I had a look at the Doremi API, it doesn't look too complicated. The major issue actually was how to include/readout proper movie titles, because usually neither the playlists nor the CPL names use explicit titles, so you may actually have to use a lookup-table for translation. He uses Google Chromecast to connect the displays, which makes a really low cost cable free solution, basically for unlimited channels.

The biggest issue is actually to get a hand on the APIs, and if you need to do it for all types of servers, good luck with that. Most exiting systems are based on TMS solutions, because they already have all the APIs built-in and fetch that kind of information anyway from all servers for status display.

- Carsten

Dave Young
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Dave Young   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten: that's an amazing idea and very creative use of the monitoring APIs. If he'd be willing, I'd like to chat with him about it.

I can certainly see that without great metadata, CPL names are going to need human evaluation to populate a lookup table.

I do need to eventually support most major brands of servers, so I will begin to reach out and gather up APIs.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a customer who wrote something similar for his own in house purposes. Also some other functionality which can be very useful; I christened it 'digital interlock'.
For example, one can group screens together and send them the same instruction simultaneously. If you're running a live broadcast event in 4 screens this can be very handy.
Or if you want to put all the lights down at closing time.

Fabio Conti
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2015 05:14 AM      Profile for Fabio Conti   Email Fabio Conti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any one know if there is this kind of API for sony srx515 and his server sony xcts10?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-27-2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does exists, but you will have a hard time getting the documentation, I suppose.

- Carsten

Matthias Grausgruber
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2015 03:44 PM      Profile for Matthias Grausgruber   Email Matthias Grausgruber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also interested in some kind of automated info display. Where can I find information about the doremi API?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-27-2015 06:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthias, I can make a contact to the (german) guy who programmed this tool. He is willing to make it available to other users - wether free or for a small fee, I don't know.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: