Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco 1.13.189...better have a preset backup

Author Topic: Barco 1.13.189...better have a preset backup
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-19-2015 05:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone thinking about updating their Barco B/C series projectors to 1.13.189...make sure you have a good PRESET back up before hand. It would appear that this update will restore the factory "Preset" labels to the buttons. The Macros themselves are unharmed...just the button assignments. So if you changed say button 5 to "BLURAY" instead of "PRESHOW_FLAT"...it will be "PRESHOW_FLAT" when you are done but the BLURAY macro will still exist.

Furthermore, if you left the factory "FLAT" preset at button #1, don't worry...of of your screen, lens...etc files will still be there pointing to the right files. So it is possible you won't even notice the problem if you just left everything "factory" labeled.

If you make a Preset Clone (easy/fast to do) you can recover from the button naming problem pretty fast.

Also, since Barco has you actually call the Macro by name from any serial/ethernet automation, you too will not notice the issue since macros can be called even if they are not assigned to a button.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2015 06:12 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We learned the same thing today.

Nice of Barco to mention this in the release notes!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-20-2015 05:35 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait for the update that fixes what the last update broke... (although, in this particular case the fixing will be manual).

But, Steve, glad you mentioned it!

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-20-2015 06:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could see how Barco would miss this one. Since the type of failure is to reload the factory default button assignments...all of the "Factory" projectors it might have been tested on would appear the same. I don't know how far they beta test their software in the field. I have sent a report through the proper channels though.

Its a big enough of a deal to not have everyone discover it on their own. We are pretty strict that any change requires a saving of settings so there is always a "clone" or backup of something...so recovery was pretty much instant. I'm sure there are those that will not be as fortunate. Then again, I suspect MOST systems use the factory presets for most of the buttons with possible deletions of formats not needed. In fact, the first site (our beta site) we updated, I didn't catch it because the first 6 buttons remained the factory defaults (naming wise). It wasn't until you got to page 2 (or 3) that we strayed into custom formats and preset assignments.

Barco dropped the ball on the release notes on this one. Since this update was actually the 3rd since the last major release (1.12.160)...the release notes on the download site just showed the last change...which was inconsequential to most...the "meat" of the update was in the other two...like the addition of new lamp files, update to the interaction with an IMB, update to the auto lamp alignment (if you have a motorized lamphouse), CLO reliability improvements...etc. The only way you can see the release notes is to use the DC update companion and click on the release notes button and scan through (which I did before putting the first update on our beta site).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-20-2015 03:38 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve, this is a major one!

How bizarre they did not mention the other two intermediate versions on the 1.13 release note - and they missed a big bug like that. I would expect the final release would be tested on the field as well, not just in a laboratory.

Thank you!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-31-2015 01:24 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fixed with 190

quote:
Changes / Bugfixes in 1.13.190
Button presets were set to their default values (bug in 1.13.189)

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2015 12:02 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who has de release notes from the new BARCO LAMP PACKAGE B&C SERIES [v01.12.35.00] ?
i cant find it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-01-2015 12:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't one. It says "first release" [Smile]
Maybe using the update companion we can find more info.

Does that mean that now Barco are going to update the lamp file separately?

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-01-2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are not included with the release at all. I checked. My presumption is that these are the lamps that were added by releaes 1.13 but were in the non-issued releases of 1.12.

quote:
Changes / Bugfixes in 1.13.190

Supports operation for R9007300 ("DP2K-20C")
Supports operation for R9007202 ("PROMETHEUS I")
Supports operation for R9007203 ("PROMETHEUS II")
The lamp file R9855978 ("OSRAM(R) XBO 1600W/DHP OFR") has been added
In some circumstances, values were placed in the wrong field on retrieval of the maintenance list with SNMP
The error condition "imb - no communication" is suppressed in case the IMB requests to do so
In the projector log file, an entry is logged when new ICMP health messages can be found in the ICMP log
TEC voltages are hidden for the DP2K-11CX and DP2K-12C
Quad link HD/SDI firmware 1.9.54 is included for the Barco HD/SDI quad link board
The startup of the SNMP agent program has been improved

Changes / Bugfixes in 1.12.163

The lens file R9856295 ("BASO(R) 1.38" DC2K 1.49-2.05 DC4K 1.35-1.86") has been added

Changes / Bugfixes in 1.12.161

The automatic lamp alignment has been improved
The light output measured by the light sensor sporadic returned a wrong value
The lamp file R9855977 ("USHIO(R) DXL-9BAF") has been added
TCP port 4170 used for "SMPTE Content Synchonization Protocol" can be used
Quad link HD/SDI up to 25 fps is supported on the Barco HD/SDI quad link board

But you'd have to load it to find out is my guess. Since I'm not missing any lamps we desire, I'm not interested in loading the lamps file. It would be handy if they would do that for the Series 1 projectors though. I can understand not wanting to do any big firmware updates to them at this point unless absolutely necessary but allowing them to keep up with the new lamps would be good.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2015 08:13 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Anyone using OSRAM 6500W lamps?
I have learned that in releases 1.13.189 and 1.13.190 Osram 6500W DHP OFR lamps run time was changed from 700 hours down to 500 hours.
I haven't got the official answer from barco about this, but I highly suspect that this is also a "bug". (duh!)
I had to downgrade the individual lamp parameters file, since I have nothing else to do, only to play with upgrades and downgrades. [Smile]

Nerijus

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-16-2015 05:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it is a bug since that is a simple text file. Someone had to want to do that.

Checking Osram's website...it is only a 500-hour lamp.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/specialty-lamps/xbo/xbo-dhp/index.jsp?productId=ZMP_1007350

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-16-2015 08:48 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it was a bug before it was changed to 500 ;-)

- Carsten

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is odd because the warranty papers also state that the lamp is often good for 700 hours. Often because we also received some lamps that stated 650 hours and some lamps stated 500 hours.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: