Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200/220 software version 4.8.4.10 released (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200/220 software version 4.8.4.10 released
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-19-2015 12:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just seen that this has just appeared on the Dolby customer portal.

Looking at the list of updates and fixes, it doesn't look that much more extensive than the ones that typically appeared in a 4.8.2.XX update, but the numbering implies that this is a more major revision.

Among the updates listed are the fixing of a few minor but annoying cat745 issues, and reducing the "Checking content and licenses" delay after pressing the play button, all of which would be useful but not essential.

Has anyone installed this yet? Any gremlins to report? As I have a "clean install" 4.8.4.23 ISO to roll back to if I need to, I'm thinking about putting this in on Sunday, but as with all software/firmware updates to mission critical machines, am a little bit scared of breaking something.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-19-2015 02:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 4.8.4.10 is the only good version of 4.8 I've used. So YES...definitely update to 4.8.4.10!

If you have a CAT862 system then you get "instant start". It doesn't just reduced the checking licenses time at show start, it effectively eliminates it. You still get the checking licenses when the show is selected...but once you pay your dues once, you don't have to keep repaying them! This includes if you want to jump to somewhere else in the play list.

If you have a Cinedigm TMS system, it will save you crashed shows were the TCC "floods" the CAT862 demanding audit logs and thus filling up a 2-year storage a bit quickly with each request.

If you have a DSL200, it fixes a log export problem where earlier 4.8 versions it might not give you all of the logs.

In the about 3 months of beta testing this one, I don't think we've had ANY issues on 4.8.4. The same could not be said of earlier 4.8 versions.

As for Dolby's numbering scheme...they seem to require a relocation change for a full version change. Content and Build used to be under one heading in version 3.x. Typically, but not always, the next place has some "feature" change and the rest are refinements. There are a bazillion cases in point where those rules don't apply but you'd have to ask Dolby as to the numbering scheme.

If it were up to me...the DCI compliant version would have necessitated a full version change...you'd know immediately if you were on version 5, that it was DCI compliant...it is sort of a "big deal." When they dropped the DSS100/DSP100, that should have been a version change. That is...version 6 will NOT run on a DSS100...rather than having to keep track of that 4.8 doesn't but 4.7.3.3 does. But I don't get to make such rules. The big "feature" of 4.8 was the "intermission" show.

I think another thing that has them increment the second place is for software update licenses. If you qualify for 4.8...you qualify for all 4.8.x.x but not necessarily for 4.9...etc. So they are going to tick it up 1 each year or so.

I wonder if the Doremi stuff will have to endure this.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-19-2015 09:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
4.8.4.10 also resolves an issue of filling up the cat862 logs to the point of death. That's pretty damn important if you ask me. Note after upgrading you'll have to sit through the whole "downloading 512 logs" for a dozen or so shows, but it's no big deal. Just let it do it's thing over the course of a few days.

We have had this running on a LOT of screens for awhile now. It's a good version to upgrade to.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-19-2015 11:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks. This is for a cat745 system, but I still think I'll take the plunge when I'm next there on Sunday and put the update in. Our only cat862 house is stuck on 4.3.5.13 and can't be updated because of series 1/Cinelink issues.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-20-2015 06:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Cinelink TLS won't work on it? Must be a VERY old series 1 projector. Thus far, all of my series 1s have been able to to to TLS though I suspect some DP100s/DP90s and Christie CP2000-S would have an issue.

Updating to 4.8.4.10 should NOT trigger an Enigma log download (hasn't any of ours). And one can initiate the Enigma download via the CLI with Administrator privileges. One thing 4.8.4 does bring to the table (though I haven't had to test it) is the ability to tell the Enigma to give up the logs even if it IS FULL. A problem one can get into with Enigmas is if they fill up, they turn the tail light red so the server will disconnect and therefore won't connect to download the logs...it is a catch-22. To the best of my knowledge, 4.8.4 will still connect to download the logs. (Though I don't see it in the release notes).

If you haven't downloaded all logs...it is worth doing it to purge the Enigma...after you do that, you'll have to deal with up to 16 shows downloading approximately 512 logs each. If you set up a set of shows with a 5 second blank clip and space them 5 minutes apart, you can clear it all out in 1:20. Updating Enigma to 1.8.24 cannot be over emphasized. Without that update, sooner or later, you will likely be hosed.

We tested 4.8.4.10 on the gamut of Dolby types. It is on CAT862 and CAT745 systems. DSS200, DSS220 and DSL200s. So far, it is a winner-winner.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2015 10:43 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does cinema 3D work with the combo Dss200/CAT745. I heard alternative 3D was on the road map but with the purchase of Doremi
wonder if that feature will still be added.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-20-2015 12:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 3D for DCP is fine on the CAT745. No, they aren't planning to add 3D or 4K to the HDMI ports anymore.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2015 08:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Going from 4.7 or earlier to 4.8.4.10 does trigger enigma log downloads. Keep in mind it's also actively deleting any logs older than 1 year from the cat862 so it can't fill up.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-21-2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How sure are you of that (Enigma log extraction). Thus far, I don't think I've see it trigger once.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2015 11:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sure. Its not a big deal though.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-22-2015 07:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Really? Cinelink TLS won't work on it? Must be a VERY old series 1 projector. Thus far, all of my series 1s have been able to to to TLS though I suspect some DP100s/DP90s and Christie CP2000-S would have an issue.
When I changed the mode to TLS when investigating this a while ago (if I remember correctly, at your suggestion in another thread), the result was no picture. I then went back to Cinelink I and it was fine. The projector is an NC2500.

Anyway, 4.8.4.10 installed at our other theater and updated the cat745, and it all went without any errors or hassles. Just tried pausing and restarting an encrypted DCP, and there was no "checking content and licenses" - everything was instantaneous. So that all seems to have worked.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-23-2015 05:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Cinelink TLS isn't working on your series 1...there are things to check...which version of TI board do you have? Also, try manually updating the CAT862 with the Dolby software update program and check the box "reinstall all components." This will put it back to factory fresh. Note, this will WIPE your Dolby 3D settings, if you have them so be sure to save the 3D coefficients first. Do NOT save the entire CAT862 settings because it will have the corruption in it (I've seen that before).

Note, I updated about a dozen systems this weekend and NONE went through the 512 log download per show (for 16 shows). They all behaved normally.

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, you should also look into the Series 1 TI Certificate Recovery Procedure. Some Series 1 Interface boards need that procedure done to allow TLS communication. The software and instructions are on NEC's Partner Website.

Mike Renlund
Dolby Laboratories

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-23-2015 04:59 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Just tried pausing and restarting an encrypted DCP, and there was no "checking content and licenses" - everything was instantaneous. So that all seems to have worked.
Finally! Woo hoo!

be sure to save the 3D coefficients first. Do NOT save the entire CAT862 settings because it will have the corruption in it (I've seen that before).
How do you save the settings? Every time I've tried I ended up with an error - can't remember which one right now (oh, I believe it was an 'invalid input' because all the tables are empty). Can I just save the coefficients at the end? Will those keep into consideration the light balance as well?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-23-2015 10:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Cinelink TLS isn't working on your series 1...there are things to check...which version of TI board do you have?
quote: Status page from DCC
Normal operating mode

Release 14.0 (48) [Selected Release]
Cinema-boards: Release 14.0 (48) [Selected Release]
Formatter-Subsystem: Release 14.0 (48) [Selected Release]
---------------------------------------------------------
Interface Board Type = Series-1S (Type 3)
ARM Boot App 4.00 (53)
ARM Main App 14.00 (255)
Intf FPGA [1] 5.48 (258)
Intf A/D PIC 0.00 (5)
Processor Board Type = Series-1
DSP Boot App 2.02 (20)
DSP Diag App 2.01 (12)
DSP Main App 4.01 (179)
Proc FPGA [1] 1.00 (26)
Fmt-Intf Board Type = EFIB
EFIB Boot App 3.08 (82)
EFIB Main App 3.08 (82)
EFIB FPGA 3.10 (148)
EFIB Seq [DC2K] 4.08 (59)
Formatter Type = DDP1000
RED ModFmtr Boot App 1.10 (26) 1.10 (26)
RED ModFmtr Config 1.00 (17) 1.00 (17)
RED ModFmtr Main App 1.22 (132) 1.22 (132)
GREEN ModFmtr Boot App 1.10 (26) 1.10 (26)
GREEN ModFmtr Config 1.00 (17) 1.00 (17)
GREEN ModFmtr Main App 1.22 (132) 1.22 (132)
BLUE ModFmtr Boot App 1.10 (26) 1.10 (26)
BLUE ModFmtr Config 1.00 (17) 1.00 (17)
BLUE ModFmtr Main App 1.22 (132) 1.22 (132)
DMD Type = DC2K
RED ModFmtr Sequences 4.08 (59) 4.08 (59)
GREEN ModFmtr Sequences 4.08 (59) 4.08 (59)
BLUE ModFmtr Sequences 4.08 (59) 4.08 (59)

Also, try manually updating the CAT862 with the Dolby software update program and check the box "reinstall all components." This will put it back to factory fresh. Note, this will WIPE your Dolby 3D settings, if you have them so be sure to save the 3D coefficients first. Do NOT save the entire CAT862 settings because it will have the corruption in it (I've seen that before).
Thanks. The problem with that is that I don't have the 4.3.5.13 cat862-only update file to install using the Dolby software update program, and I can't see it on the Dolby customer portal. I don't want to try putting in a substantially newer version, in case new software in the cat862 won't work with the older software in the server itself, thereby bricking the thing.

As things stand, when I put the link encryption into TLS mode, the server reboots and gives me "Error connecting showstore to projector" (or equivalent wording). If I set the encryption back to DH and reboot, it works again. So either the cat862, or the TI board, or both, don't like TLS link encryption.

quote: Mike Renlund
Leo, you should also look into the Series 1 TI Certificate Recovery Procedure. Some Series 1 Interface boards need that procedure done to allow TLS communication. The software and instructions are on NEC's Partner Website.
Thanks. Got a show starting soon, and so will do this when I get a moment. I would like to be able to update the software in that server, if only to address the increasing number of subtitle problems we're having with SMPTE DCPs, the consensus of opinion about which seems to be that if we weren't using a several years old version of the DSS200 software, we wouldn't be having.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: